Skip to content

Products MCN’s top 5 rated helmets Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > MCN’s top 5 rated helmets

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Marc Abbott  says:

MCN’s top 5 rated helmets

At MCN we pride ourselves on rigorous road testing of a wide range of motorcycling products, and helmets are no exception.  Save £££ on motorcycle helmets in the MCN Shop Yes, certain lids seem to fit certain shapes of head, so with helmets more than any other product, trying before you buy is important (see how here). But once you’ve done that,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 December 2010 10:13)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sizzler

May 06

sizzler says:

£607 quid

£607 for a shite open faced helmet.. scrape your nose off and rest of face...lets get real...lets see proper helmets which are used daily !

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

I use an open face on my daily commute for two thirds of the year and I ride a proper bike. It isn't as safe as a full face, but I take my chances. What is more stupid is riding round with a £500 race rep Arai on your head. Who are these people trying to kid?

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

"What is more stupid is riding round with a £500 race rep Arai on your head"

I use an Arai Corsair (cost £400) for one reason only. I once saw Shinya Nakano's rear tyre explode in Moto GP at 200 miles and hour (put ""Shinya Nakano Mugello 2004" into YouTube). He went tumbling down the track forever, banging his head on the tarmac many times. All he got was a consussion.

I don't ride at 200mph (rarely above half that), but if that wasn't an endorsement of a Corsair I don't know what was. I didn't mind paying £400 for it because if that moment ever comes, I have trust in my lid!

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

Sharp

I'm afraid i'd rather choose a helmet by fit and sharp rating. I use a nitro flip helmet, cost £45 at BMF tailend, only got 3 star sharp rating but it fits the best out of all the helmet i wore.

Reply to this Topic
Doormandean

Aug 10

Doormandean says:

S'not about the cost

I don't think helmets should be about cost, like someone else commented, it should be about comfort, fit and does it do what you want it to? I ride with an open face most of the time, bought a craft because I liked the look of it, but it's quite poor for noise and general fit. Randomly bought a very cheap and cheerful Rocc flip front helmet off t'interweb for a measly £30 thinking I'd bin it if it was rubbish. Turns out to be super comfortable, quieter than the Craft, and has the benefit of the flip front and in built sun visor thing. Sure, some helmets will last all but a nuclear explosion, but, if the damn thing doesn't fit properly, it's pointless. I've got an massive 'oval' head, so other than a 10 year old HJC I've rarely found a good fitting lid. I recognise the government are trying to make things safer by enforcing what we wear on our heads, but I'd certainly pay into some kind of health plan if I didn't have to wear one of the buggers. Just feels more like a nanny state on a daily basis :-(

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Not an Arai in sight ???

I am right with 1050cc here. A buddy of mine owns and operates a big, bike shop and just beautiful accessory store with email orders too. Quite recently he put on  a lovely, bike-matching Davida open-face for the commute to work - and then - for no reason in particular that he remembers or could think of - took it off and put on a Shoei full face instead. It rained on the way and a wanker in a car " undertook " him then abruptly cut across and braked hard to a stop to do a 90 degree Right Hand turn. No - I don't get it either. I would have given him a short and very sharp correction. However ... My mate got a faint whiff of the wankery to come and started to get a little space and cover the brakes. Too late. His Triumph Thruxton front locked-up and spat him into the right-rear of the car - face-first !!! The chin bar and around and above the visor aperture were badly scored and damged. If he had been wearing the Davida ... who knows what facial damage or worse he would have sustained ? Thanks to the full-face - just a blood nose and a few body scrapes and bruises. Thank Christ. As Kenny Roberts was fond of saying many years ago - " If you have a $10 Dollar head - get a $10 Dollar helmet ! " Since the 1970's and the day of the Bell Star, I have worn nothing but top of the range Arai's and I have one lovely Shoei too. The Nakano incident is one of several like it I have witnessed and says it all. Buy the best helmet that you can afford and make sure the fit is snug and comfortable. When the chips go down - it could save your life - and/or  you from a life-changing and life-destroying brain or facial injury. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well my box helmet has 5stars and cost 40ish so its fine i have a agv s4 and like the helmet and found the strap its crap  as it keeps coming a bit slack. i find a double d ring straps are the best.

and why would an open face helmet be high stars as it give less than half safe if u crash

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Arai?

The Arai RX-7 GP or Viper is an amazing helmet, at least one of them needs to be in that list... they are bloody expensive though!!

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Arai snobbery

That very expensive Arai only comes with a three star sharp rating. Witnessing one rider surviving a 200 mph crash in an Arai doesn't mean he wouldn't have survived it equally well in a Lazer, HJC etc. When i'm not riding in my open face, I use a AGV S4. £160 and five stars. When I have my next big spill, I'll be sure to tell you how well my head is.

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

I don't give a flying fuck about the "sharp" rating"!

Arai Snobbery? This isn't about social spending you berk! You think wearing an Arai helmet is equivalent to private number plates? You keep wearing your open face helmet. Pray you never get tagged.

You think spending £400-£500 on a helmet is excessive? No doubt £100+ helmets are just as good at protecting your head in a crash based on a scientist dropping a weight on it? I don't care, I'd rather give my money to the manufacturer that has proven my bonce will be safe. Bollocks to the stupid "laboratory" Sharp test. It has been proven to be silly (read how they do it!). I've seen it in real life situations, plus the Arai lid was the perfect fit off the shelf. AVG wasn't. If it had been I would have bought one.

Reverse snobbery mate! Just cos they are expensive doesn't mean the people wearing them are fashion concious knobs! We value our heads!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle