Skip to content

Discuss This Donington plans packed 2011 racing programme World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Donington plans packed 2011 racing programme

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Donington plans packed 2011 racing programme

Donington Park is back and has a packed programme for 2011 headlined by major motorcycle racing events including a round of the World Superbike championship, an Eight Hour World Endurance round, and the first round of the BSB Shootout. The calendar, including other bike meetings, historic arcing and car events, is aimed at putting Donington back on the map after the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 December 2010 17:20)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

" ..... put Donington back to its rightful place at the pinnacle of UK motor sport ... "

was it ever there in the first place?  delusions of grandeur like that got Donington into a fix with the F1 debacle.  bearing in mind that Donny is starting from a pretty low place in terms of facilities (i've no gripes about the circuit and the geographical layout making it potentially the best spectator circuit in the country), and Silverstone is in the process of spending something like £40m on the track changes and the new pit/paddock complex, how the hell can Donny compete with that?  i'm not knocking Donny, i'm glad they're back, but they've a big job on there hands to banish desperate stories from MotoGP rounds and their like from the recent past.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Good to see things improving for Donnington, its a shame the F1 dream fell through though as the facilities would have been world class if the project had not collapsed.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Its a shame

the World Supers is so early in the year. The tyres will struggle with the lack of temp, as will the riders and spectators

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

Great flowing circuit, incredibly poorly managed the past few years with the emphasise on screwing as much money from the paying public they could, especially gillet & co. who it appeared had big plans but unfortunately didn't have a pot to piss in (an old english saying,for our foreign contributers). I think i'll give it a go next year especially since it will be run by someone who probably cares about the circuit. What i won't be doing until i see some feedback on the infrastructure i.e. getting out of the place, is camping. Too many painful memories there i'm afraid, I still have nightmares about being stuck in that F*+kin field for three hours and being smiled at by an arsehole in a yellow coat who was apparently directing the static traffic and he couldn't even speak F*+Kin english.!!! Rant over happy christmas.   

Reply to this Topic
martyn23

Mar 09

martyn23 says:

BRILL

to see Donington back next year but WSB in march?They may be having to race with converted ski's mobiles if the weather were getting now is anything to go by but l'll be there to support the Brits in what looks like another great season ahead of us.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Donington infrastructure

Dear Mr Wheatcroft Jr,

Please spend a day at Silverstone then copy everything that they have done for customers there and you will have a chance of getting spectators back to what became a disgusting dump of a place for paying customers when Daddy was in charge.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

@ potfiller

I always managed to be an insider or VIP at GP's and WSB at Donington with the exception of the late 80's / Early 90's and you are right. Infrastructure for spectators is and always has been abysmal! Even the simple things.... pity the fool who has to take a shit let alone a piss an international meeting at Donington. Truly a dump for fans.... I bow to those of you who have handed over your hard earned cash to watch your hero's ripping around one of the best circuits in the world ....... to ride! But even the garages / paddock have always been rubbish compared to a decent European circuit. Oh yeah and the Melbourne loop..... an insult to real racers or enthusiasts.... I am a nobody so don't take my word for it........ forward your argument to one "Eddie Lawson" or "Mick Doohan" their opinion holds a bit more weight than mine.

Reply to this Topic
FADM

Dec 10

FADM says:

2011 programme

Went to Donny for the first time 2 years ago, having been put off by stories of horrific traffic problems and diabolical facilities. I was not dissapointed on both counts. Entry and exit were diabolical and the parking facilities were a disgrace. The 'facilities' and I use that word carefully would not be out of place in a third world refugee camp. You were in serious danger of contracting a far from exotic disease. How can toilets with an inch of urine slopping around the floor be an acceptable situation today.

Sorry Donny, my local track is Brands. Excellent facilities (diabolical exit from parking) and still the best UK bike track by a mile. Perhaps in a couple of years, if they have the money to provide spectator facilities to match the track !

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

elbowz - you seem to forget that Silverstone is only one year through a five year contract to host MotoGP.  and come 2015, what will Donny have to persuade Dorna that it will be better than Silverstone?  as i wrote in my original post, Silverstone has an investment programme at the moment that Donny can only dream about.  MotoGP will be at Silverstone for the next ten years as a minimum i reckon, simply because there is no other circuit that will be able to offer the level of track safety and facilities (whether you like the topography or views at Silverstone or not).  i also seem to remember that the GP riders really liked the Silverstone circuit ...

i'd love to see MotoGP at Brands, but it will never happen.  and as for Donny, stories like those from potfiller and FADM live long in the memory.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

Elbowz11

God forbid that motogp ever returns to that place,I can remember the last time it went from silverstone to donington,I was horrified,little did I know it would be 22 torturous years at the place and my worst fears were realised, during that time i also stopped attending in protest at the poor light in which the paying public were treated, firstly only attending the qualifying and then skipping it totally,Silverstone was a glorious return in my book, the sun shone and the facilities good and i will be going again in 2011,Donington got too big for it's boots and justice was finally done even if it was about 21 years too late !! :mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices