Skip to content

Discuss This £77 million of bike test centres scrapped General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > £77 million of bike test centres scrapped

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

£77 million of bike test centres scrapped

A controversial off-road part of the motorcycle test is to be scrapped under Government proposals announced this morning. From the end of next year, learners will have to take just one practical test instead of two, according to Road Safety Minister Mike Penning.  It will be conducted entirely on-road and offered at a greater number of sites across the country...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 December 2010 12:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
norskman

Dec 09

norskman says:

What a waste!

I did pass my test at the new centre, so feel well placed to comment.

Divide £77 million by the number of tests taken and that will give you the cost per test to the tax payer!

What could we have spent £77 million on? Best 3 answers should get a free annual sub. to  MCN ( if the PO delivers it in this weather).

Reply to this Topic
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Good Stuff

Should help to get the numbers up again :)

And take some of the cost of the test down too

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

Amazing....

So after all that money wasted we're going back to Plan A then?  Its no wonder this country is broke.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Great News!

Now all we need to do is sack each and every one of the incompetent `two-faces` that implemented the faulty legislation that caused the country so much unnecessary expense in the first place? Such incompetence cannot be allowed to go `unrewarded`. Bye Bye Driving Standards Agency. They were TOLD time and time again this would not work. But they did it anyway. Time to pay...

Reply to this Topic
headoned

Jan 08

headoned says:

What a waste

How bloomin stupid! after all that money and all the new test centres they are just scrapping the MOD 1? I mean what was the point!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

About time too

New test was nothing but a fiasco introducred by the Blair and Brown governments, both of them far too cosied up to the EU. Thank f*** this gov't are actually doing something about it.

A complete waste of £77m, which we won't see back though.

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

crashes

Apparently most of the crashes that occur on the new test do so on the swerve and brake or on the emergency stop. At the moment those crashes happen in a test centre where there's not much to hit. When a candidate crashes doing these on the road there will be lamp posts, kerb stones and oncoming traffic to deal with...

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well about time they got rid of the swerve and stop part. and now they are doing the test on the road you will get better pratice riding in  traffic

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

The Problem...

...wasn't the content of the tests (which were safe if taught properly), it was the cost of training for and taking two separate tests, and traveling to Test Centers miles from where you're based. I had a 160 mile round trip for a 9 minute Mod 1 test!

Reply to this Topic
Vallone75

Dec 10

Vallone75 says:

Was it so bad?

I completed the test 2 weeks ago and quite liked that they had split the manouveres from the road test. I would have hated to have had a cracking road ride and then screwed up on the U-Turn. I also think the swerve was a good way of ensuring riders had good control. I thought it was European Law that enforced it hence the 50 KM an hour... oh well politicians, are you surprised?

I think  2 test's makes you consider what your being taught for  a longer period of time, which cant be a bad thing.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices