Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner doubts electronics reduction in 2012 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner doubts electronics reduction in 2012

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner doubts electronics reduction in 2012

The constant quest to make MotoGP safer will never see a significant reduction in the influence of electronic rider aids, according to former world champion Casey Stoner. Valentino Rossi and several other top riders have expressed a desire to see the influence of electronic trickery like traction control and anti-wheelie reduced to improve the spectacle in MotoGP. Several races in the 800cc...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 December 2010 14:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kizzat

Dec 10

kizzat says:

sorry for pissing someone off

i am sorry for pissing people off thought this was a discussion. oh and by the way even mick doohan last 2 stroke had a basic electronics package on it so 2007 your wrong dick fuck

Reply to this Topic
kizzat

Dec 10

kizzat says:

halitosis

i cant belive how much you pissed me off with your comment been following gps for years and you seem to think i dislike stoner i dont but in my opinion he doesnt want the aids taken away becuase the riding will be closer and that doesnt suit stoner cant belive you start calling someone a stupid wanker for there opinion. traction control was available on road going bikes in 2007 mate so dont tell me that it had just come around in gps in 2007 any way happy xmas

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

an end to it

my 2 pennies worth, if these electronic aids are the be all and any numpty can ride with em, how come it always the same people winning!

i will now explain for the stupid out there.... it.s because there more TALANTED yup it's as simple as that the better you are at something the more you win, who'd have believed it !

Reply to this Topic
kizzat

Dec 10

kizzat says:

ok

any way i think rider aids should be gone just wanna see close racing thats whats needed for the sport finding myself a wsbk viewer these days as aposed to the days of close 3-4 man battles. i wasnt never knocking stoner really i dont care he doesnt interest me that much but not many others do either really

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

eddl

Whilst, i agree with your point , its also flawed, the electronics are allowing smaller riders who wouldnt have been able to wrestle a full power GP bike to become the leading riders as the bikes get smaller and smaller. This got to the stage where if your over 5.7 you look like Andre the giant on a modern bike!!

If you removed the electronic, im of the opinion you would see different riders at the front of the field aswell as some of the established stars. Stoner despite his small size would be right at the sharp end be because he does have fantastic throttle control. Others who's style is to wrestle the bike turn it sharp and fire it out of the corner would become competitive again because sadly electronics ended this riding style over night

Reply to this Topic
noshow

Oct 10

noshow says:

In this health and safety world we live we will never lose rider aids untill you can garentee when a rider falls off he will not hurt himself. There were to many great riders when tc was not around that highsided broke there leg or spine and ended there racing career.Taking away tc will not only kill more riders but end our sport in the future much like how the TT is always hanging by a thread because of there high casualties. Seen as we will never get rid of it how about a goverened system that stop highsides but not wheelies and limits traction control . TC has prolonged alot of modern racers careers can you honestly tell me Rossi would have made the transition to 250 to 500 unscathed without it? as all the rest before him did not have such a long career . And maybe if TC was not introduced the King of slide Garry Mccoy would still be leaving black lines on tracks. live on TT

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

You know my opinion of that CCB!

It's coming out your mouth again and not smelling good. Can you please name me one' Rob McElna' of G.P's in recent years (or any god damn year for that matter) that has been hard done by by these 'tiny' GP machines? To a greater or lesser degree they're all midgets, or 'tall' and scrawny. 

Some of you guys seem so deluded as to think the 800's are merely pull the trigger and go scalectrix machines. It is STILL the rider squeezing the trigger, STILL the rider applying the brakes, and STILL the rider weighting the machine in the manner required to get the thing around the track quick, and STILL the cream rising to the top. The electronics are there to assist this process, because that's what the manufacturers want to meet Euro protocols, and their version of what they think we want. To this end they do perform market surveys and it is 'us' that are probably telling them their electronic ideas are good! 

I have no doubt that our four plus one aliens wouldn't change a jot if you took the electronics controls away. Once again CCB you do them all a disservice as to their feel and skill. Remember both Spaniards are past dual 250 W.C's. Machines with none of the toys the 800's have. Pedrosa in his debut year on the fire breathing 990 came fifth overall with two wins and only 37 points off first place Hayden. Yeah Dani can't ride the big bikes!

'Take the gizmo's away and you'll see Nicky back up front.' is a refrain I hear constantly hear. Bullshit. He's been surpassed and will be doing well if he finishes 6th 2011. Nicky had a lucky year in '06 where the two better riders (Rossi and Capirossi) had a fair old dose of bad luck. Vale of course choked at Valencia and fair play to Nicky for winning. But his win rate in G.P's put him more in the Barros and Checa categories really.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

shrinking bikes and race focus

cant agree with you on its our choice nostro, the sportsbikes has been losing there road riding potential for the last decade or so. The suspensions hard too hard and the power moved too far up the rev range and have lost grunt. The reduction in size has made them too bloody crampeed for a  six footer like me. Its all about peak horsepower figures for the marketing ads and looking like a GP bike to brainwash the young and impressionable.

The ABC mapping settings now required are so someone of lesser skill can bragg they ride a 1000 when a 600 bandit with a third of the power output would  better serve their purpose and be more comfortable too.

The modern aids are alllowing road riders to ride over their heads and not sense the real danger 190bhp brings until it too late and theres another fatality.

We vcan argue the fores and against of these aids in GP racing and who it would effect and never agree. Im of the opinion someone like James toseland would have faired much better in GP's if the bikes were not so driven by the laptops. Im not suggesting he would have been a title winner but top six would have been achieveable.

Theres plenty big strong solid riders all around the world who never get a chance because their too big and will never make it and the modern way is just pushing further toward the need for tiny riders.

Ive wondered if the rossi leg waving thing is due to the fact its the only way he can balance the bike under braking and corner entry with if lack of weight and size? might be totally off the mark but a bit of weight does help pin the front end and if its the only way a larger rider can get the balance it would explain it.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Thank you CCB

Given you cannot name any of these burly blokes that would do well without electronics I'll take it you agree with me. Look all sports have body shapes that fit the bill best. Sprinters - muscular, distance runners - slender. Rugby - all sorts for the vagaries of the various positions. Motorcycle racing is no different, in that the ideal rider is shortish and no more than 70kg.

You make some interesting points regarding showroom superbikes. But I will counter with the 'F' versions manufacturers produce as a counter the the 'R' or 'S' varieties. I've only ridden one of the latest generation of these hyperbikes; the BMW S1000RR (50km only in race mode - I'm not interested in the softcocking of a machine). Bloody hell, that thing is not lacking for power or torque anywhere. Incredible front end feel and superb brakes. A bit buzzy, but hell in terms of comfort it's not a great deal different to say the first generation Genesis FZR1000. But it is much more refined. I'll certainly say the BMW is a far better machine than the FZR. Positive progress!

The leg waving? Nothing more than theatrics. There is nothing beneficial to the action whatsoever.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Wow this thread is still going!

Gonna have to catch up and have a bleat after I get a few jobs done.......

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices