Skip to content

Discuss This Ulster GP admission price rise TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > Ulster GP admission price rise

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

Ulster GP admission price rise

The Dundrod and District Motorcycle Club have been forced to increase the price of admission to the 2011 Ulster Grand Prix after sustained a substantial loss following this year’s races. The club took over running the Ulster in 2002 and in the past 10 years have spent some £500k on safety around the course with the assistance of some funding from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 December 2010 17:29)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TManInBlack

Jan 11

TManInBlack says:

incentive

From what i have read, you can soon by the wristbands on the UGP website, towards the end of the month, and you will get a programme thrown in for free, its a case of watch this space. The race week is still at the mercy of the weather, and there has been occasions where the organisers have had bother with locla residents objecting to it.

Reply to this Topic
mickdel

May 03

mickdel says:

Phil CBR

Where do you enter the circuit?   I've always gone in from the airport turn off, and parked for nowt along that road that runs into Irelands I think it is,  or cochranstown (got memory probs)  the junction where they turn right to go up to Budore.   I've never been charged for parking along that road.    Mined ewe, if your at the grandstand area, it might be different.

I can understand the reaction to the price of 25,  especially as I've just lost my job so I can sympathise,  but I can fully understand the need to charge something.   I joined the Ugp supporters club ( i live in london) and can see what they are up against.   The mountain of problems they face for a non profit making body is huge.

£25 might seem a lot,  but I would still be willing to pay it.   I would suggest leaving the wife and kids at home,  as when I took mine there for practice, and race day (it pissed down and both were eventually called off one year)  I had nothing but misery and distraction.    Wives and kids are not natural road race fans - just look at the faces of the wives and girlfriends there sometime !     Go on your own,  on your bike, and enjoy it.

I'm not sure how the people avoid paying to get in,  although in northern ireland, that would probably mean parking a bit away,  yomping across some fields and barb wire fences and there you go.   I don't think you'll ever stop this,  but I'll be going this year, as it simply is the best road racing event in the world, and I've seen most except armoy, faugheen and kells.    

Not understanding the necessary business models, or health and safety, etc etc,   I don't know what to say really,   except that it is not simply ok to say this is too expensive as a knee jerk reaction.     Just look at the cost of going to any BSB round,  or even worse, WSB or MotoGP over here.    Astronomical !   And they have just as much chance of being rained off as the UGP is,   so at the end of the day,   you can't really compare the two, or three.

You said that you could only see the tops of riders helmets through the wire.  Where were you watching from?    I've always watched along Budore in the hedges,  or along the Flying Kilo in the ditches again,  and have always been able to get my elbows on the tarmac.     If you've only seen it from the grandstand area,  which is of course a bit away from the road,  get yourself to Budore on your own,  and you'll come away a new man.

Lets hope that whatever happens, that they break even, and this treasure will still be here long after I'm in the dust.

Reply to this Topic
mgser

Jan 11

mgser says:

rip off

£25 !!!! to stand up their ankles in muck?  No thank you!  I will go but will not pay - reason being, its a public area.  The roads of the circuit are closed to the public because of the road closing order.  The roads are not closed to the public - ie you and I.

I was more than happy to pay £10 and support the event but £25 is ripping the arse out of it in these tough times.  Personally, I think lowering the price to £5 will encourage less people to avoid paying and perhaps make more money.  I'll buy my programme this year and be perched at Wheelers.

Reply to this Topic
PhilCBR6

Jan 08

PhilCBR6 says:

mickdel

I was at the slip road where the riders come back to the pits after the race (just before the flying kilo). We got moved into a field in front of a wee cottage there and couldn't get out (prohibited areas all around).

I think the UGP organisers need to reduce the price, make it no admission without programme, reduce rider's fees/start money, and generally cut any waste to a minimum. There should be a few more grandstands around the circuit, priced at maybe £15 to get in. I would love to go into a grandstand at races, but they are either too expensive (you have to park near them too) or are booked up a year in advance.

I hope the UGP survives, but they need to make informed decisions during this economic crisis about their charging, etc. Perhaps a few open-mic nights with the top riders to raise funds, sponsor a bale in the Belfast tele or MCN, etc!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices