Skip to content

Discuss This Suzuki eye more consistent GSV-R in 2011 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Suzuki eye more consistent GSV-R in 2011

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Suzuki eye more consistent GSV-R in 2011

Suzuki will embark on another mission to make its factory GSV-R a more consistent performer across a wider range of conditions in 2011. A major weakness of the V4 contender has been its ability to be competitive in cool and cold temperatures while the bike has proven to have top six potential in much hotter conditions. Alvaro Bautista scored a best result...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (22 December 2010 13:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

the big picture

Ive read and digested everyone point of view and do wonder where does it all end? Modern bikes have it a level of technology that even the greatest rider couldnt jump on the suzuki and be any thing like competitive. Could than have been said in the the pre electronic era? There has always been good/poor bikes made by factories, these days if your 10% off the pace your nowhere.

A top rider could have made the difference in the past with their skill/talent but not now. We've hit the playstation generation of rider required with the bike thats the star not the rider. Gone are the days of rossi jumping on the yamaha and smashing the field on pure talent alone.

If we want a championship for just the most technologically advanced bike let it run. there be few bikes on the grid and poor racing.

Control elements will restrict development, but enable ALL manufacturers for come up with competitive machinery for me, and it will make it more affordable.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

More consistant

What like making it into the top 10 more regularly ?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Utter Tosh CCB

I think you'll find in any era that if you're 10% off the pace you're nowhere. I've yet to se a rider win against such impossible odds.

Technology drives the product forward. This is basic human endeavour which has and always will be with us. I remember as a lad, the Suzuki GS1000 when it first came out and thinking 'Wow, how can motorcycles possibly get any better'. Perhaps you think they haven't?

As for this 'playstation' generation rider comment, well you do the entire grid a disservice. All the boys on the MotoGP grid are winners in the lesser classes. Classes you may note with good old fashioned carbs and throttle cables.

Rossi doesn't 'smash' the field anymore because (like Eldrick Woods in Golf) the field has caught up with and in all probability overtaken him! 

You seem to want some sort of nirvana with the entire grid crossing the finishing line (Rossi first of course) within a nano second of each other. Join the Jehovah Witnesses to find this promised land!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SLIGHTLYMAD

Dec 05

SLIGHTLYMAD says:

consitancey?

the bikes been consistent for years, always off the pace

Reply to this Topic
BMEP

Jul 08

BMEP says:

(flawed) Logic trail

Just a few more words then I promise to stop. Just for fun lets make a logic trail.

Set-up info:

During 2010.

A) The Yamaha is the best bike on the grid.

B) Bridgestone tyres need to operate in the critical temperature zone (if they are below that zone they 'let go' quite abruptly)

C) Ducati and Suzuki are not the best bikes on the grid.

D) Honda are now near to Yamaha but second best on the grid.

E) Ducati and Suzuki report they sometimes cannot get their tyres hot enough.

Start the trail: So, to get the grip the tyres have to be hot. To get the tyres hot the bike must stress the tyres more than normal (must be more than normal else everyone's tyres would be hot enough). The Yamaha must stress the tyres more than normal. The Ducati and Suzuki do not stress the tyres as much as the Yamaha. A bad bike design will stress tyres more. A good bike design will stress tyres less (for the same lap times).

Conclusions: The Ducati and the Suzuki are good bike designs. The Yamaha is a bad bike design. Bridestone must have made a Yamaha tyre.

The Yamaha is a bad bike design? Just a minute, see A) above?!? Oh dear, something is wrong. Merry Christmas.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yes BMEP flawed argument indeed

The flaw is your assumption of what is 'normal'. For 'normal' we should be reading 'optimum'. 'Normal' in racing terms is flat out!

You argue that the Yamaha works its tyres excessively hard. This is not the case or they wouldn't win races.

I think you're also placing too much emphasis on Rossi's Mugello crash. Remember he had backed right off the throttle because someone was up his date. In fact he was some 10 secs slower through that final split and off line and cranked over too much. He simply had a lapse in concentration. Don't blame the tyre cooling for this one.

Conclusion. Yamaha is a fine handling motorcycle which maximises it's attributes to its fullest.

The only real tyre concerns I have seen from Ducati is Stoner over riding the front. Normally in the early laps when nobodies tyre is fully up to temp. Remember Casey loves to run like a scalded cat from the front. He knows the risks he takes with this strategy and it's bitten him on the arse a couple of times 2010.

Do you see Rossi and Jorge sprinting away from the get go in this manner? Not ordinarily. They operate a slightly more conservative strategy and allow the tyre to reach it's optimum operating temperature before stressing it 100%.

I think you're looking for a conspiracy that doesn't exist. Bridgestone are an independent company operating to a GP commission mandate. As far as I am aware Yamaha are not a dominate shareholder in Bridgestone. To use that argument then perhaps Ohlins should have been building inferior bouncy bits for Ducati Superbikes throughout the nineties and beyond? Of course they didn't despite being Yamaha owned.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BMEP

Jul 08

BMEP says:

Yes...

it wasn't entirely serious you know, hence the flawed!

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

one eyed Nostro

The riders in the past were able to make put for for flaws in handling and power delivering with their skill talent whatever you want to call it. the modern way where the electrics control most of that has taken that edge away from  the riders.

My Rossi reference was about the way he jumped on the Yamaha in 2004 and over cme its flaws and still win with ease through skill talent etc. i read afew test at the end of the season on his factory bike and the opinion was how the hell did he manage that on a not that sorted bike.

Im sure you might see a different group of Aliens if it was for the electronic aids, i always rated Melandri as a hald decent rider, but he could get his head round the 'playstation' let the electrics do it all and just pin it approach.

The riders with great throttle control and feel would rise to the top not the blind faith in it all riders, bring back the sideways brigade i say!!

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

hows far is too far?

Nostro raised the question whilst pulling me to bist so in reply i say thing. when bike development has reach such a level that the very best riders in the world require computer controlled gadgets to race them i do think enough is enough.! Racing should be about a best riders controlling the savagely powerful beast they ride and outwitting their competitors.

In the past few year it BSB WSB and GPs ive wittnessed riders storming out of corners faster then anyone else only to hear a missing firing strangled sound as their hugely expensive traction control system outperformed the other teams. The other bikes sound normal. now is this down to the rider or the system their giving them the speed advantage? its the latter in my mind.

If a rider isnt capable of controlling a bike in RACE conditions with these aids he isnt good enough. It sorts the men from the boys, the electrics are badly deluting this theory.

Was an open end question how far is too far for racing? i think we've reached that point for engine performance it they cant be controlled by the human rider alone.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

god my typings shit!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices