You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > KTM THROTTLE

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gavinb9

Dec 10

gavinb9 says:

KTM THROTTLE

I have saved up enough pennies to purchase my dream bike ( RC 8) (it will be a 2008/09 model) but should i be put off by the stories of snatchy throttles and 'surging' when cruising under 5000 rpm? Is this true? And if so , will a 'oxygen sensor eliminator' cure this as advertised on e bay for the budget price of £25? I have always wanted one of these bikes so i'll be gutted if i get one and am well disapointed!!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 December 2010 20:23)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"should I be put off by the stories

of snatchy throttles and 'surging' under 5000 rpm?"

Firstly, it depends what you'll be using it for: if your doing mainly fast roads / motorways, glitchy throttle at low speed may not be much of a worry. On the other hand, if you do a lot of town work, it could start to be a pain in the arse after a while.

Bear in mind also, glitchy/ snatchy throttles can be "subjective", ie to one person, it might be tolerable, whereas to someone else it isn't, depending on how bad it is.

I'd be looking for a test ride to see how good / bad it is, and decide if you can or can't live with it.

Not convinced an "oxygen sensor eliminator" will cure the problem on its own (you may end up with other problems later), but a proper tune-up with a Power Commander or Dynojet should help if it is bad.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
gavinb9

Dec 10

gavinb9 says:

ktm throttle

I'd be using the bike for all sorts. Road riding, the odd track day and some commuting. I've read that some bikes suffer with it and others dont. Like you say, i'll have to test ride before i buy. Thanks. I thought the £25 e bay quick fix was a bit too easy!!! As all i have to do now is find a bike in my area!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices