Skip to content

Ask an Expert first proper bike Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > first proper bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

spondulic

Dec 10

spondulic says:

first proper bike

hi all , just doing my full licence at the mo and be looking at first big bike , ive spent the last year or so riding around on my rs 100 , so not looking to jump straight on a 600 or 1000 , but ive been looking at the honda rvf 400 nc35 or vfr 400 nc30 as i really love these bikes but was wondering what there like as a first bike , are they usable , reliable , thanks sam:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (30 December 2010 15:09)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littlerick

Nov 07

littlerick says:

go for a 600

I was gonna go with a 400 when i first passed my test in 2006.. I ended up getting a CBR600 and was glad I went with the 600... Its a little overwhelming to think of a big bike, but trust me... a 600 is a better way to go than a 400.. You will be bored in a week.  I'm now riding a 900 zx9r and loving it even more.  Try a few test rides before you decide.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Just check

the insurance on any bike you're interested in - the 400 may well be far easier in this regard.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

i agree with littlerick.. get a 600 a 400 will get boring quite quickly.

Reply to this Topic
fitton20

Sep 10

fitton20 says:

lets be serious

600's while you can still loose your licence on them get boring compared to a 1000 but they are easier to use in traffic by a long way luckily im in australia and me have nice big roads with out many cars on them 

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Insurance, Comfort...

Insurance is a huge unknown. Many 400s are quite high insurance and some 600s are relatively low so you will definitely need to check. When checking insurance for 400s be particularly wise about modifications and if its an import or not (Many 400s are imports from Japan) - That can make a HUGE difference. From my brief explorations there was little difference between insuring a ZXR400 and a CBR600RR. Slightly milder bikes like the GSX600F & CBR600F were about 2/3 the cost of the out and out sports whilst bikes like the Fazer FZ6, ER6F, SV650 etc were 1/3 the cost of a an out and out sports 600. Solid but good bikes like the CB500 & ER5 are cheaper still to insure and run...Even a Hornet is likely to be significantly cheaper to insure than an out and out sports...
Also consider what riding you are likely to do. The out and out sports bikes are beautiful bikes but very uncomfortable for commuting (all that weight on the wrists and shoulders is not nice whilst travelling slowly)  whilst the NC30/NC35  are of an age where they will need work to keep them on the road every year (e.g. brake cables replaced, fuel tanks might leak, suspension refreshed...).

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

zxr 400

Had a green/white/blue zxr400 for a year or so when i was 18 - absolutely loved it but i was too lanky to fit on it. Was incredibly uncomfortable on the knees as they hit the fairing if not tensed up.

Any of the old 600's will probably be your best bet as they will be physically larger. A GSXR (srad) or ZX6r can be cheap but reliable if you search for a good 'un.

Reply to this Topic
jimbus451

Jul 09

jimbus451 says:

first proper bike

hey sam gsx600f i did my direct access april last year like you thought about 400s but went with gsx600f for 2 reasons 1 insurance is just under £200 fully comp checked 4 or 5 different bikes through mcn compare the f was £150 cheaper than the r second is not as desirable so cost alot less mine 2004 with 2000 miles full dealer service one owner from brindley honda wolverhampton and 12 months warranty cost £2100 i use it all year round for 16 mile commute and bike meets and it will keep pace with most other bikes upto about a ton thats about it before it goes flat my bike now done 27000 miles and no problems apart from when i left parking lights over weekend and drained battery mine does about 150 to reserve and then costs about 13 to15 quid to fill hope this helps :smile

:smile

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

vfrs and rvfs

are fantastic bikes and most people are forgetting here that a well ridden 400 in the twisties will run rings round an old six undred. but if you are over six foot they feel uncomfortable .........but i would reccomend a good vfr or rvf with good grippy tyres they are such a hoot, zxrs are revvy and don't like being restricted cbrs are rare

hang on what about an rs 250 they are also fantastic but can be a little pricey to maintain....hope this helps o.t.g.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices