Skip to content

Ask an Expert Sport Touring Tyres ? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Sport Touring Tyres ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

frosty911

May 10

frosty911 says:

Sport Touring Tyres ?

I wonder if antone can help by give me some advice on the best tyres to use on a GSXR 1000 K7 for touring. I plan on riding my K7 alone to a few MotoGP’s in 2011 around Europe from Yarm in Teesside. My first trip is to Portugal and then I plan on doing a second trip to Assen and then straight onto Mugelo to see the first Italian race with Rossi on the Ducati.

Each trip will be over 3000 miles so can you tell me a decent set of tyres that would suit my Gixer and give me that type of mileage to remain legal on my return leg back to the UK.

Many Thanks Frosty:wacko:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 January 2011 19:05)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Pirelli Diablo Strada

Had these on the VFR for 7500 miles already, with the amount of tread left I'm expecting another 1000 miles at least. They have extra deep tread in the centre for motorway miles. I've had the pegs down on these tyres and still have a few mm to spare, so I'm definitley buying them again when the time comes.

Front tyre has worn well too, previous set of Bridgestones (021) wore past the limit on one side on front tyre, well before rear tyre was due.

Not tried 023's, but they cost more than the Pirelli and I'm happy with the Diablo Strada's, so I'm sticking with them!

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

I currently have

Dunlop Roadsmarts on my K8. I put them on last year when I went to Germany & Switzerland, but most of my mileage is on my daily commute.

More than happy with them, lasted very well.

I did want the Pilot Road 2's as I have them on my Triumph, however they were not recommended for the K7/K8.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

as per HELP! Which tyres?

Dunlop RoadSmarts...

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

I use

Michelin Pilot ROad 2 on mine. Got a bandit 6 and have got 10k on the rear so far and have a good 3k left! wet grip is amazing!! Dula compuond is brilliant too. Spoke to a lot of people on bigger sports tourers like VFRs and Sprints etc. they all rate the tyre! it is z rated but not gonna have as much grip as something a little more sticky. Wet weather grip is amazing though!

Reply to this Topic
shrewsred

Dec 10

shrewsred says:

ST tyres

I ride a Triumph 1050 Sprint ST. I can highly recommend BT23s. Cracking tyre. Loads of grip in both wet and dry. Also mileage is great. I've done nearly 5k on mine and I reckon I can do nearly the same again before replacing them.

Not really used other ST tyres before so can't compare (apart from the original BT21s on the bike when I got it and they were pants).

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

touring rubber

Neevesy has ridden a K7 on sport touring tyres before and he found that they really slow down the steering and make the handing feel 'wooden' compared to sports tyres. The flat profile of a sports touring tyre and relative lack of grip doesn't really suit a superbike, but if mileage is the primary concern, they'll do the job and it’ll be the usual sports touring suspects: Dunlop RoadSmart, Bridgestone BT-023 or Pirelli Angel ST.
The latest crop of sports rubber is better suited to the bike, but the rear could be gone by the time the trip is over, it all depends on how and where you ride. The Dunlop SportSmart is very good, as well as the Metzeler Sportec Interact M5.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

flat profile?

The OEM (model specific) BT015 rear is about 195mm wide: wider, hence flatter, than its 190/50 spec suggests.  The RoadSmart rear is pretty much bob on, making it slightly narrower.  The fronts have practically identical profiles...

Flat profiles?  Dabbsy/Neevesy chinese whispers?  Generalisation based on some other sport touring tyre?  Non-standard sizing?  Senior moment?

I wouldn't call it wooden but I wouldn't suggest the RoadSmart would shine on the track (although it's soft side might hang on as well as the single compound BT015), BUT wasn't the original post re "touring" on a K7 - with no mention of track use...

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

RoadSmarts

Whitham's test

Reply to this Topic
banditman2010

Jan 11

avon

avon roadrider or avon azaro sport touring

http://www.otwtyres.co.uk/azaro-sport-touring.htm

Reply to this Topic