Skip to content

Discuss This Top 5 most reliable sportsbikes First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Top 5 most reliable sportsbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Top 5 most reliable sportsbikes

More than 12,000 MCN readers have responded to our Biking Britain survey this year, and your combined scores on the bikes you own and love (or hate) have allowed us to put together this definitive list of your top 5 reliable sportsbikes.          Find a reliable sportsbike for sale Here are the machines that topped your list of the most reliable sportsbikes:               5 - Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade £3565-£12,375Reliability...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 January 2011 09:27)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

We can argue

the toss on this one but at least its not a VFR top of the list.

Reply to this Topic
liam9188

Feb 10

liam9188 says:

A lot of people..

... dont like this list, and that's fair. To be honest every Honda I've owned has been unreliable, but that's because I buy cheap and then work on them. The only reliable sportsbike I've ever owned is my current one, an Aprilia RSV 1000. Enough said there...

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Honda, 9 outa 10 cats etc

Not suprised, Ive had let me think ;;;;;;;;; 7 Hondas in my life 70s CG 125 / 550-4k ./ CB 250 /80s  CBX 750 / 900 Fireblade /90s CBR 1000 F/ oh yes and my plastic maggot CX500. ALL good and never a real problem  kinda, but thinking now the biggest problem I did have is five out of seven Hondas got ,nicked- stolen- pinched.  Only ever lost a Hondas  ... why is that then  !!!!  and Ive had a few bikes in my time, Italian - German / Suzi ( only-1) Yams included! and 2 Kwaks, bles them, and my new baby BMW S100 RR

So do crooks only nick reliable bikes.!  I hope so!!!!! for my sake.

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Don't have any trouble with this list myself

But I'm not sure everyone is talking about the same thing, my cars reliable and carries more people and does better mpg than either of my bikes, but interesting, exiting, do I G.A.F about it.....go on take a guess!

Another thing here, my dad owned a TDM 850 the paint fell off it, the wiring loom had to be replaced under warranty but he loved the thing to bits, I still have my GS1100 and it has its foibles like the engine paint evaporates and you have to keep an eye on the oil etc but I wouldn't get rid of it...

The Honda alternative was the Varedero and I would freely admit it is probably more reliable and has a better finish but it was a turkey and they probably sold  a few hundred in the UK tops!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Oh but I don't include the Trans-Alp in this

Cos I know a few owners and they love them

Reply to this Topic
100milesaway

Mar 09

100milesaway says:

reliable ?

Never owned a sports bike,but my last Honda ,and it will be my LAST Honda was a  CBF1000 and that was truly the worst bike I have ever owned. It had twisted handlebars because the top and bottom yolks were out of line,the top shocker bolt fell out,the footrest rubbers spun round as soon as you put your feet on them,and I was never sure that it was going to start due to battery and charging related problems.It also had chronic ground clearance problems that could not be dialled out,all in all a very shabby bike, all this from a brand new machine.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

I see no problem..

The story says 12,000 MCN readers. If all is on the up and up then this list is pretty impressive. Most Hondas are represented in big numbers of units on the road. To have those numbers and be at the top in reliability truly does say how Honda screws them together. I've owned many Hondas and while not perfect they mostly were very reliable. Certainly some individuals will speak otherwise of their experiences but again, if these are true findings then realize it's a cross section or composite of reader's responses. All other brands had their chance to be on the list also. If this list was opened up to the top 10 reliable bikes I would expect to see another brand or two to show up. Hondas are great bikes, few others can produce bikes in such numbers and keep the quality as high and at the reasonable prices that Honda wants.

I currently own a Moto Guzzi Norge and 1984 VF700F Interceptor (since new)

Reply to this Topic
jallen

Aug 02

jallen says:

I have owned 5 Honda's 3 Fireblades, 1998, 2000 and 2006.

The 1998 Fireblade was the most reliable and the 2006 the least (leaking rotten sump and burnt out stators).

The 2000 Blade burnt out its Stators on a yearly basis but was fine other than that. My Honda Dominator was fine although I did have a problem with the starter motor but it had lasted quite a few years.

My VFR800 was fine apart the Regulator.

Reply to this Topic
Vee_Crunchy

Dec 05

Vee_Crunchy says:

As a motomechanic I dont find later hondas more reliable than any other japanese make of the last decade. Furthermore the problem with newer hondas, namely CBR600/1000RR, is the complexity of their construction. Impressive technology but they are just pain in the ass to work on. Try to get to sparkplugs on '04-'07 1000RR and then compare that to 919RR. For me '92-'98 900RR is the benchmark of reliability - beautifuly simple and very very solid construction.

Reply to this Topic
Eldar

Aug 02

Eldar says:

true....but !

I've owned a 95 cbr600 and a 98 'blade and loved 'em both they were reliable and had great build quality , but now for a change and because my wrists cant stand low bars anymore I've got a '02 fzs fazer and a '01 xjr1300 and they are just as reliable but need regular cleaning to kep the finish good .

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices