Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS

This is our first chance, not only to ride the first official Triumph Tiger 800 on UK roads, but to pitch it against the very bike Triumph were gunning for in the first place: the BMW F650GS.       Read the Triumph Tiger 800 review Although the BMW is badged a 650, both bikes are 800s, the German machine is a parallel...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 January 2011 09:07)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Chalk and Cheese?

I had a F650 as a loaner for a few days and was shocked by how soft and flacid the bike was. Great for around town and newbies, but a pain in the rear (and dangerous) when you expect a bit of get up and go from an 800. I expect the Triumph to wee all over it when the weather perks up. Oh, and why would you buy a bike like the F650 and then lower the seat to that of a Harley? One of the benefits of this type of machine is the ability to see over traffic.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hmmm... if the 800 hadn't done well against the 800cc 650 then Triumph would have been asking some questions... better brakes, a lot more power & very similar weights. In truth BMW don't have an equivalent to the stock 800 (the R probably comes closest)... the 800XC/800GS test will be the one to watch.

Reply to this Topic
4FursSake

Nov 10

4FursSake says:

"His 'n' hers"...

...is a great summation of the respective anticipated target markets for these two 'bikes. The Triumph will surely be one of the largest selling bikes this year in its' two guises offering a fantastic blend of performance, real world usability and value. However close inspection (switchgear, fasteners and ancillaries) reveals it to be some way behind BMW's Teutonic excellence in terms of build quality. Roll on summer! (And a low seat height is a must for many female riders who are (thankfully) increasing in numbers)

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Response

I am bit of a short arse (29" inside leg) but have been had a Buell Ulysses since 2008 which usually means only one foot firmly down, but it has yet to be a problem. I have been looking at the Tiger 800 as a replacement as I like the style and that extra height in traffic. BUT I usually do a few weeks touring two-up each year and I am in no position to have a 'his and hers' bike, owners of the 800GS I have spoken to love the bike but it can struggle on overtakes two-up. I like that the Triumph 800 has 95bhp, only 10 short of my Buell and probably no difference when it comes to the back wheel so I am really looking forward to some proper good weather reviews, fully loaded with luggage and pillion because it might just be my next bike.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

TIGER

You can get a lower seat for the TIGER,not sure what the height is but if you get a further 10 mm lower it will be a big help for short-arses me included

As for quality,you cannot fail to be inpressed with design, build quality of TRIUMPHS

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sprintman52

The optional seat for the Tiger is actually 20mm lower and I'm a short arse too so that will be one of my optional extras for sure!

Reply to this Topic
andromeda

May 06

andromeda says:

Big Mistake F800gs

I posted this comment last August which may be of interest for those considering an F800gs: "Just got rid of my F800gs after 13,000mls & 18 mths. After 7 recalls, numerous warranty issues of my own and finally my 3rd survival of electrical breakdowns whilst riding in traffic, I traded it last week. In my experience, this is a seriously flawed and dangerous bike to ride due electrical and mechanical failures. I've had 3 complete electrical and fuel supply related breakdowns whilst in heavy traffic and lucky to have avoided being run over by a tanker last week near Loch Lomond and at home in Ireland. I'd lost all faith in the safety and reliability of this bike. I've had more trouble with this bike than all of the Japanese bikes I've had in 25 years of riding - never had a Jap bike breakdown either! Having spoken to other BMW owners and recovery operators, the vast majority of breakdowns is ALWAYS BMW'S! They sell you the myth of cutting edge technology but negate to tell you they have 'stone age' reliability. No doubt the BMW 'Brand Slaves' will denounce my posting! All I can say is if you value your life, don't buy one!" Just to add to that, the front 'floating Disc' brake rivets appear to be very prone to heavy wear. I started to notice this as I found that in the rain starting off upon first application of the front brakes a big 'clunk' was felt - these were replace under warranty too as they were dangerously worn. But BMW did not replace the pads even though there was over 12K miles wear so took a long time to bed into new discs. To sum up, if Triumph can maintain the reliability and quality of components I may trade in my KTM Adventure 990 as it's hard on the juice at €1:44 euro p/ltr but, the most enjoyable and capable all-round bike I've owned.

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

Have to disagree matey!

The vast majority of breakdowns are BMW? Only ever had one beemer on a breakdown truck and that was due to a ripped tyre. It sounds like you have a lemon andomeda. In 36 years of riding I have had loads of breakdowns on japanese bikes - mostly 70s and 80s ones to be fair. Although a Bandit i had recently handled terribly and I swear most of its recorded mileage was me pushing it, electrical gremlins - or another lemon like yours? My mate is a motorcycle breakdown recovery and servicing guy, he shook his shoulders at the statement "the vast majority are BMW's" saying no way. He does get the odd one but mostly its japanese usually crashed rather than mechanical and also they are sold in far more numerous in numbers than beemers. One thing that does seem to be true is the build quality isnt what it was, with corrosion showing up quite quickly. But then Honda arent what they were either. Weirdly yamaha seems better built nowadays and comes through winters not too bad at all (yes I ride all year round). I cant comment on the F series - only on having had 4 K's -(all over 100k mileage) and 2 R's trouble free - and have heard of problems with the belt drive on them but I dont think you can slag off the whole BMW fleet due to one guys lemon. same as I cant slate Suzuki for a bike (Bandit) rotting before my eyes - as have had an SV through winter with no problems whatsoever. Triumphs seem much better built than the press would have you believe - an old trophy I had went through winters fine.

Reply to this Topic
scandinavian

Dec 10

scandinavian says:

I fancy the tiger

I drive an XT660R and an old NX650, and have been waiting for a good offroad bike, with some serious horsepower, because we drive a lot 2up.I am tired of all this "boring" softroader I prefer to call them. These V-strom,transalp things are not quite rock and roll. BUT I hope this tiger can do the trick!!! I am looking forward to try it here in Norway..;))

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

BMW 800gs

andromeda

The reliability issues you have had seem to me you have more than a lemon there.Continually haveing to replace systems seems to be a quality control issue.It is said BMW expanded so fast that quality control has been neglected.I have heard in recent times about the poor reliability of BMW'S and i think it would be a good idea if a web site was set up to get to the bottom of this.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle