Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Triumph Tiger 800 vs BMW F650GS

This is our first chance, not only to ride the first official Triumph Tiger 800 on UK roads, but to pitch it against the very bike Triumph were gunning for in the first place: the BMW F650GS.       Read the Triumph Tiger 800 review Although the BMW is badged a 650, both bikes are 800s, the German machine is a parallel...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 January 2011 09:07)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

mikerotherham

I understand some of the points you are saying but these are new models and they are not going get every thing right first time out. I think you are a bit over the top with the criticism,give the bikes a chance,keep an open mind.These bikes mostly will not see a dirt track and for a lot of people are going to be an every day bike/tourer and fun bike.For a basic price of £7150 the Tiger800 is a stonking buy and for most people including myself need not spend another penny.

It's going to be interesting to watch these do some serious off-road in the future and only then we will see what these bikes are capable of. The cat you mentioned surely there's a bash plate to protect it,i would hace thought TRIUMPH would have it covered.

Reply to this Topic
jallen

Aug 02

jallen says:

Just ridden the Tiger 800 this morning. Did about 45 miles on a mix of twisty b roads, a roads, town, village and a bit of M1 outside the restricted roadwork bit. It was fairly damp and started raining during the ride and as MCN said it would be nice to ride on a summer's day to see what it can really do.

I was really impressed the motor is superb with an excellent spread of power. You can stick it in 6th and open the throttle and it accelerates reasonably. Obviously in the correct gear it goes really well and much better than  I expected. And yes I have ridden a lot of big bikes before. I currently have a Ducati ST4 and have had an 06 Blade among other bikes in the 21 years I have been riding.

The screen is actually fairly effective and on a cold windy, rainy day it was reasonably effective.

There are loads of accessories at an okay price (i.e. a bit cheaper than BMW/Honda) but the standard bike (as test ridden) will suit me perfectly. I am not sure whether I would off road it so don't really care about the CAT location etc if I was go green laning again a small 125 or 200cc bike would be better although it hides its weight well.

Overall, highly recommended and I think I may well put a deposit down when the sales lady rings me back later.

John

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

MikeRotherham!

Read your comments but I think there are a couple of things you need to consider. Firstly, all that pipe and sensor work on the exhaust is there because bikes have to get through emmision laws and fuel injection needs those sensors to operate. Secondly, it would be pointless putting lots of luggage on the bike if the owner doesn't need or want it but has to pay extra for it. If you go on the Triumph web site and check out the accessories, you will find there are lots to choose from already. Although from your comments you sound a bit anti-Triumph anyway so you probably won't bother. If you aren't going to buy one, thats good coz my local dealer tells me there is about a 4 month waiting list anyway so I will get mine faster!!!!

Reply to this Topic
joe1964

Oct 10

joe1964 says:

TIGER V F650GS?

I can't believe some of you slaging off the Tiger, according to experts who are bikers getting paid to ride bikes and give their opinon, this is the best in it's class and Triumph had their test rider going all the way to Istanbul and back in Aug on a prototype with luggage (6000 miles) and the bike passed with flying colours. In my opinion it should be tested against 1200gs, the f650(twin) should be compared to V-strom, Transalp, Versys or 660 Tenere. The man who tested it back in the summer had loads of luggage and no mods had been done to the bike so you don't need to change the can and do lots of changes. It's a unique motorcycle, 800cc, Inline 3, 95 bhp, and it is Triumph, a national treasure.

Reply to this Topic
955nsim

Jul 10

955nsim says:

tiger review

It's going to take a much more involved test to fully explore the Tiger/BMW 800 debate and I look forward to a bigger,more relevant test in the near future.MCN are in a bit of a dilemma..There are a core of commentators who seem to dislike Triumphs..for whatever reason.You don't hear from them when bikes like the Sprint GT get a poor review,or the Bonnies are seen as a bit bland and soul-less.but woe betide that a Triumph is seen as a benchmark bike in its' class,then they jump into action to scream about favouritism.It seems not to matter that foreign journalists agree with the MCN also.When a particular Triumph is given a glowing report,they seem to think of it as a slight against their choice of bike.As a result MCN seem to have to almost apologise to the Triumph haters before they say anything good.When the many excellent Japanese sportsbikes get good reviews,the journalists do not have to keep on explaining themselves to anything like the same degree.Could you imagine so many Italians so keen to slag off Ducati,or Germans ,so keen to Knock BMW? I just think that some people have no faith in anything British anymore and have a deep-down inferiority complex.

Reply to this Topic
norville2

Jan 11

norville2 says:

Spares and service

We had 2 650GS bikes at work, they were ok to be used to ferry computers around London and the surrounding Counties. What I did not like about BMW were the servicing costs, not sure if it was because it was done through a company but our second service with BMW cost over £800 per bike. We had these bikes for 4 years and admittedly they hardly went wrong but if they did repairing them cost an arm and a leg. On the other side my second service on my 09 Daytona cost £154.00.

Reply to this Topic
tinktonk

Jan 09

tinktonk says:

Find a new service company!

Norville2, mate - your service company is making 600-700 quid a service from you on that. BMW servicing - in my experience - is comparable with other makes (£100 for a minor, £250 for a major). Someone's making a fat lot of profit out of you there and it's not BMW!

Reply to this Topic
Frankyspain

Jun 09

Frankyspain says:

You are mad. Do your tests in Spain

Mad man

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN