Skip to content

Discuss This Roads could be closed due to potholes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Roads could be closed due to potholes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Roads could be closed due to potholes

Roads could be closed due to potholes caused by the latest cold snap, the AA has warned. The damage could be even worse than that seen after last winter, according to AA spokesman Paul Watters.  He said: “Temperatures have been lower and the winter has been longer. The roads could take a beating. “We could see complete lengths of road failing.” He...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 January 2011 16:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Captain Hook

Jun 07

Captain Hook says:

Low Temperatures

Except that it's the freeze/thaw cycle which damages roads not the minimum temperature.

That long period where the temperature never got above freezing point counts as a single cycle, no matter how long it lasted.

Reply to this Topic
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Temporary Road Surface...

This may just be around where i live (East Riding Council & Hull Council area), but iv been told that instead of repairing bad areas (though im not sure theres much point untill it warms up properly) the council is just leaving "Temporary Road Surface" signs, so if you see one, take it easy :)

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Would be Nice if...

They would just start making the roads out of concrete.  More expensive initially but the lifespan of the surface is decades superior and no payouts to motorists when their vehicles are damaged by them.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Concrete road surfaces

Concrete road surfaces ?

No thanks, when was the last time you rode over an adverse cambered, rippled concrete surface in the wet ?

Next stop A+E dept.....................

Reply to this Topic
stickywicket

Jul 10

stickywicket says:

They won't go to concrete. It wouldn't meet the EU noise regulation targets for roads, tyres, cars, trucks etc etc etc etc etc

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Concrete

No no no no, no. That's what they tried I'm the 70s during the oil crisis on the m27, the design life turned out to be nowhere near expected and maintaing the road has cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the noise at every joint. What's needed are properly laid and properly maintained tarmaced roads, the quality control in the constuction industry is better than it was but still pretty pour

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

Potty holes

My mate rode into a pot hole two days ago, he still hasn't come out yet. I'm thinking of getting a cave rescue team sent down to get him out.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

NIMBYs

Over here in Buckinghamshire we have no green lanes we can ride during the winter so maybe they should leave the potholes and let us off-roaders practise on the roads that have them.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Better than you think

"Concrete road surfaces ?

No thanks, when was the last time you rode over an adverse cambered, rippled concrete surface in the wet ?"

Today and at 100 mph...except for the rippled part. Our roads are smooth. What's nice is no oil that floats to the surface, unlike tarmac.

They won't go to concrete. It wouldn't meet the EU noise regulation targets for roads, tyres, cars, trucks etc etc etc etc etc

That is a valid point. In residential areas where a freeway goes through, there are sections of road that are paved with a special low noise tarmac that also happens to allow water to drain through in a most excellent way. The tyres only kick up water about 1/2 as much and 1/2 as high making visibility and traction so much better. The typical volume level is 78 db.

No no no no, no. That's what they tried I'm the 70s during the oil crisis on the m27, the design life turned out to be nowhere near expected and maintaing the road has cost an arm and a leg, not to mention the noise at every joint.

Really? Our concrete roads have a lifespan of 40+ years. We have roads in place that have been around since the 1960's that still look good. When they do decide to do something to the surface, they just mill it about 50 mm, then add a new top layer. The composites they add to the concrete mixture is extremely durable and does not chip up, nor does it compression set under the weight of the vehicles like tarmac which leave grooved trackswhere the tyres run. Initial cost is high, but you make it up in not needing to do repairs and maintenence over the life.

Traction is my favorite thing about concrete.  Now with the UK wanting to ban tyres made with Benzene, it is said tyres will have reduced traction.  Lower traction tyres and less grippy asphalt are 2 things I don't like.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

roads

Just watched a series on sky, 'Twist of the throttle,' one that got me was the history of BMW, saw them testing on some roads in Bavaria, superb roads, smooth well kept..Why aren't ours with the obscene amount of tax we pay in this country.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle