Skip to content

Ask an Expert Bike cutting out while riding Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Bike cutting out while riding

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

maccathesaint

Jul 08

Bike cutting out while riding

Ok, having a problem with my beloved (annoying) Honda CBR 125R (05)

Riding along the other day & the bike cut out at about 40mph.

Wouldnt start again, tried to bump it with no luck  & eventually i think the battery just died as it stopped clicking when i hit the starter & the neutral light had more or less gone out.

I was on my way to honda anyway to get a new reg plate made up to get it through the MOT, so pushed it there,explained the problem and they said they'd have a look.

Picked it up the next day, they said they'd checked the engine & the battery and seemed ok.

Riding it home..happened again. I've got no idea, Honda apparently have no idea.

Usually i can fix the bike myself & it is very well maintained but i can't diagnose this problem (i'm not great at the diagnosing part, just the fixing part!).

Really need some help, MOT booked in 3 days from now and if i can't fix it myself as Honda wont be able to do anything about it until 2 days from now...and i'm running pretty low on funds as it is!

Cheers

Adam

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (07 January 2011 18:47)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Carbs?

It could be carb-icing, maybe. It's the season. I'd expect an experienced mechanic to think of that though.
To resist icing try some Silkolene Pro-FST additive in the fuel tank.
If it cuts out again wait a few minutes for the heat of the engine to thaw the carb before trying the starter.
The dealer re-charged the battery for you, presumably?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Other idea

being winter, is damp electrical / ignition system.

Try replacing your spark plug and HT lead, and make sure electrical connections are clean, dry and tight.

I'd also double check your battery - after a while they can fail to hold charge, esp on short-ish runs where it won't be getting sufficient charge from the generator / alternator.

Reply to this Topic
maccathesaint

Jul 08

Problem possibly solved

Well, turns out my make & model of bike was recalled a few years back due to a faulty ignition coil:

From the VOSA website:

"In certain conditions it is possible for contaminated water to penetrate into the ignition coil causing the internal components to corrode. This can result in hard starting, poor engine performance and in extreme cases cause the engine to cut out"

The previous owner has chosen to ignore this product recall.

and unfortunately it probably explains my battery & light problems i've had for the last year or so.

Not sure where i stand from that point of view, but at least my local honda dealer are going to fix it for free. (Though i suspect that they could be in the shit for selling it on without checking it had been required for a recall?)

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

cutting out

Might also be worth checking the side stand switch...

Reply to this Topic
maccathesaint

Jul 08

working again i hope!

Got it back today, seems to be running ok.

my local honda dealer tried to charge me for taking my bike through MOT (which i had only booked because they told me it was fixed.  Wasnt until the day before the MOT they checked the recall notices).
Cheeky bastards,lol

thanks for all your help though!
Seems like it was the ignition coil afterall!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices