Skip to content

General Why are there so few young bikers? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Why are there so few young bikers?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

Why are there so few young bikers?

I have been riding since I was 18. I took the 33hp route. I am now 20 and have finished my probation so can ride a full power bike. The only riders I have met who are my age are 125 riders. most other people drive cars which - no matter how you look at it- is ssssoooo much more expensive and boring.

I have done 10k miles on 2 solo tours on the continent which were the best 2 trips of my life and another 9k in the UK. Yet I meet so many people who are scared by that and of bikes. Why are there so many p*ssys about? I know loads of people who have been into bikes and talking about getting one for years - but ofcourse never do. And the few propper bikers my age i know all talk about long tours and trips to the continent but always find excuses to get out of doing anything other than a ride to cornwall and sleeping in a tent for a night. I think more people should grow a pair and if they want to do something, then just do it! No excuses!!

Sorry but just needed to have a short rant!:lol:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 January 2011 20:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i did my car test 1st them did my bike test at 20
and then went off to france with my bike restricted to 33bhp
and loved it. then man thing for me  is the insurance as  i pay 180 for 3rd party fire and theft and was the cheapest cheapest deal i could get was over 400 and i am 24

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Not many Learners ?

Most of the reasons why there aren`t many young Motorcyclists have been covered already. As someone who passed his test in 1958 and still riding  3 machines , I still come up against prejudice at 72 years of age ! People are incredulous as to why I don`t give up and use my car .They miss the point that it gets into your blood and why would you stop doing something you really enjoy doing ?

The government have made it really difficult and very expensive to start now , which is more than likely a policy to discourage riding to improve the accident statistics .There is enormous pressure from families not to take it up because of the perceived danger . Cars are very cheap these days , especially after the Scrappage Scheme , when you could buy a new 4 seater Kia for around £5000 , some 250cc Scooters cost nearly that now .
The Manufacturers haven`t helped by pushing up the prices several times a year , they are just too greedy .They haven`t paid enough attention to economy either , they seem obsessed with yet more HP . 
I passed my Car Test 12 years after my Motorcycle Test and I`m glad I did , as all my jobs from then on were dependant on having a car licence .
My advice would be to enjoy your motorcycling but consider a car test for the job opportunities .
Finally look after that Simson as it is a classic , if you have to fall off anything make it your Bandit as they are common .Even better still don`t have a mishap as your family will have you off motorcycles before you even know it !

Reply to this Topic
barbiebiker

Jul 10

barbiebiker says:

young riders

tbh very few parents really want their kids on bikes. you can see where they are coming from - very few 17, 18 year olds are sensible or have got road experience and even if they are, a bikes so vulnerable when a twat in a car messes up. a lot of parents give kids money towards a car or buy them one, most wont do the same for a bike.:upset:

Still I agree there are those just lacking the nerve, the worst ones are the ones that bang on about it and never do it!:mad:. Im 18 and looking at doing some track days this year and taking the bike down to the south of france in the summer :smile I cant wait :laugh:.dont find it intimidating at all, lots of friends have warned me about riding solo trips especially as a woman but honestly wearing a pair of leathers all i need to add is a smile and I get all the help I need and more :biggrin: its handy :tongue:.

PS. Any ideas on great places to ride in S.France and on way down appreciated :smile . im going to visit friends near Avignon but dont really know which areas are biker friendly!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
backseatrider

Apr 03

young bikers

its too expensive ins.,etc and in central london parking ia a pain in the arse and very limited:mad:

Reply to this Topic
stingy1

Oct 10

stingy1 says:

its because...

you cant jump on a two stroke stinker 250 at 17 thats fun, cant go to rock pubs ( i remember the antelope club, coventry, on the ringroad) thrash fs1e 50s at 16 and race yer mates, have 3 pints and ride home taking yer helmet off on the a45 cov, with yer mates in the long hot summers when you were 16 , without being branded such a criminal like nowdays. besides...yer would prob get knocked off yer bike now by twatty citreon saxos with thick yob 18 yr olds in em with no life.

Nah, no chance now. the country has changed. OOH...smelly two stroke? not on is it?

I SAY? a fast bike at 17 and a beer? how criminal!!!

Or perhaps it IS the bikes, soulless drones, and speed cameras, cops with no sense of ticking you off, no decent bike pubs fer young lads,

AND CRAP MUSIC, and a JEREMY KYLE style life for twats now.

Eeh, me mate said vis on faycebook, lets get im....etc etc etc zzzzz

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

The music is pretty crap nowdays! Autotune is the most annoying invention ever. THere are still a few of us left still playing riffs though!:lol:

Reply to this Topic
sad500

Dec 07

sad500 says:

Its many things that stops young ones riding and all have been mentioned in the thread but the folk who moan about forcing young or inexperienced riders to take the CBT need to re-think.  

Yes its not cheap at around £85 but it saves lives and that cant be denied. Im currently training to be a motorcycle instructor and im telling you if some of the folk (young and older) didnt take the CBT they would be dead or seriously injured within a day of being on a bike. I wouldn't let some of them ride a push bike on the roads never mind a motorbike. Lack of skills required, common sense, road sense, absolutely no knowledge of the highway code etc etc. The CBT is very basic but people go away with skills and knowledge that will hopefully keep them and other road users they meet along the way alive.

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

@countryrider

'What do u ride?'

At the mo i'm on a yamaha mt-03, going to trade it in nxt month maybe an sv650s? Open to ideas tho.

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

Sad500 - I totally agree with the CBT. It is a lot of fun too. I actually do agree with the tests that young riders need to take but I think that it is overpriced. I can understand the 33hp phase but it does get a bit annoying after a year1:lol:

@fraz - I ride a Bandit 600. Look at them aswell. I like the SV650. my mate had one. It is a little slower but the handling is a lot better. The fairing is nice too!

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

too expensive

I started on a 125 but then they introduced the CBT, was a few years before i could get back on a bike and then a few more to do my DAS.
Oh and lets not forget at 17 or 18 its easier to pull if you drive :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices