Skip to content

General Why are there so few young bikers? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Why are there so few young bikers?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

Why are there so few young bikers?

I have been riding since I was 18. I took the 33hp route. I am now 20 and have finished my probation so can ride a full power bike. The only riders I have met who are my age are 125 riders. most other people drive cars which - no matter how you look at it- is ssssoooo much more expensive and boring.

I have done 10k miles on 2 solo tours on the continent which were the best 2 trips of my life and another 9k in the UK. Yet I meet so many people who are scared by that and of bikes. Why are there so many p*ssys about? I know loads of people who have been into bikes and talking about getting one for years - but ofcourse never do. And the few propper bikers my age i know all talk about long tours and trips to the continent but always find excuses to get out of doing anything other than a ride to cornwall and sleeping in a tent for a night. I think more people should grow a pair and if they want to do something, then just do it! No excuses!!

Sorry but just needed to have a short rant!:lol:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 January 2011 20:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

Is this deffinatley gonna come in? Also will that mean that I will have to put my restrictors back in?:mad:

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Car vs bike

Well no-one can deny that getting a car licence seems like a better deal. Bikes are about more than just getting from A to B though, which is why we ride them!

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

I dont think that all of them are like that, its just that most people are happy dreaming rather than doing!

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

@countryrider

Can totally relate to you man! I'm 20 1yr left on my restriction, quite fancy doing sum sort of tour. Where you off too?

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

frazmataz

Thinking of going for 2 weeks at end of august. Maybe through belgium into Germany goin passed Nurburgring, then into Bavaria, through the Austrian alps into Northern italy across into south france and up the west coast home.

Touring ain't too expensive if ur carefull and don't mind sleeping under canvass. It cost me just under £1000 for 3 weeks and 5k miles last summer. If you think a long weekend in Amsterdam or Berlin is gonna cost at least £300 then it is really good value!

What do u ride? 

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

The young are dull and scarred to live

yip know what you mean countryrider go to a bike rally and honestly feels like an old fokes home.  Am current 29 and passed my test at 20 been riding for 9 years (well legally for 9 years)  never held or wanted to hold a car license.  

Bikes are the only way to go been thru Europe good few times and put about 20-25k on bikes every year.

No idea why young people don't go on bikes and cant say I care much but one reason I have found is that most people are scarred until they accutly go on a bike then they love it.

Lifes to short to not ride bikes :lol:
wee bro does his cbt in February carrying on the biker tradition at 16 already has his tzr50 unrestricted and waiting hahaha :lol:

Reply to this Topic
wacca1

Feb 09

wacca1 says:

Young Bikers

The first time I threw my leg over a bike was when I was 27. I had always liked the look of bikes but I had never known anyone who had one. I used to walk passed a yellow triumph T595 on the way to school as a kid and spend a few minutes looking at it.

Someone close to me died and I thought who knows what's around the corner, so booked my DAS and off I went, taught from scratch.  I shit myself 1st time on the road but soon got used to it.

I now have two bikes and ride at least 18k miles a year. I also have two young boys. Will I encourage them to ride..... no I doubt it as I would worry about them far to much. If they choose to I will ensure they have as much training as possible.

And as the new year gets on it's way it time to plan this years summer tour. Only 5 nights in Europe but I cant wait.

Reply to this Topic
kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

Why are there so few young bikers?

Because it costs a squillion quid to get a bike licence. My car licence cost me about 1/3 of the price of my bike licence, it's absolutely ridiculous,

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Mike R

You can't drive a 7.5 tonner or a minibus on an ordinary licence anymore.If you got your car licence after Dec 1997, you have to take a test.

Also, country bumpkin, don't come on here going on about young riders, when all you wanto to go on about is how many miles you do, and putting down everyone else!

If you really are aged 20, comment when you have seen some life!

Biking is about what you want to do,its not a japanese game show -Gizza!

Reply to this Topic
Maggiespaniel

Jun 10

I had to do my car test first

so drove from 17 to 21 then took direct access then straight onto a 955. I agree though, wish more of my mates/ people my age were into bikes and not just 125's. Just planning my first tour now, thinking alps...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices