Skip to content

Discuss This Electric bike beats petrol twins to podium General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Electric bike beats petrol twins to podium

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

Electric bike beats petrol twins to podium

An electric superbike has taken two podium spots at a California-based race series – fighting off a petrol-fuelled grid of RC8s and 1198s. The Swigz.com Racing team bike – which makes 194bhp and 295ftlbs of instant torque – was piloted by team owner Chip Yates. An overjoyed Yates tweeted shortly after the races: “History has been made, and the gasoline...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 January 2011 15:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Bullsh*t

What a crock if shit, " Gasoline bikes are on notice" .. sorry Chip but this thing could beat a MOTOGP bike yet i'd still rather watch and listen to them than this glorified milk float, racing is all about the noise.

Immpressive - i guess so , exciting - nope.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

How long

..was the race? 2 laps?or was it 3?

BBC breakfast are sending a chap in an electric Mini from London to Edinburgh. It has a MAXIMUM range of 110 miles if you don't use the heater or the lights or the a/c etc etc. For every 2 hours travelled, there is a 10 hour recharge time, so that's 3 o/nights between London and Edinburgh!!

Why is it that NO manufacturer of electric vehicles will tell us the cost of a set of replacement batteries? When will we realise that these expensive contraptions are NOT the answer and are far out of reach of Joe Public's pocket?

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

electric m cycles

my guess is in the next ten years you will see big changes on our roads and electric m cycles will become quite common more so in citys.

Reply to this Topic
alacika

Dec 10

alacika says:

Questionable....

whats gonna happen as we all know ourself i mean humanity not that so so much like to change 100 year ols habits like fuel powered engines...atm we have rich OPEC countries not even thinking about changing or trying to change present situation...would u? another thing we r  far far away that background that u really need for starting to change driving...charging points infrastructure etc.

i give min. 15-20 years more til we reach that point when everything is set for the change...but who knows whats gonna happen for the last drop of oil....????

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

A hundred yard dash!

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

awesome

I think it's great, of course i'd sooner have the sound of a booming 90 degree V twin, then the sound of my washing maching going through its spin cycle.  I'm sure they'll sort the battery thing out in time. Something has to be done, the price of gas here has doubled in the 10 last years. If there had'nt been a recession it might of trippled.

Reply to this Topic
mrblistershifter

Jan 10

What a load....

...i LIVE in southern California, and ive never heard of these guys, never seen their bike in a magazine, and ive not read or heard about this machine competeing in any type of racing series. How would it be classified ?  What formula would you use to decide which bikes it would compete with ?  Nowhere have i read about any electric with those horsepower and torque figures.  With that type of power, i'd have to agree with Seniorspanner...how long?  2 laps seems resonable..

TrumpetTriple is right !  Impressive, possibly.  Exciting.....NEVER !

Reply to this Topic
SplinterOz

Jan 11

SplinterOz says:

Distance

Ok so the race was 6 laps standard for the WERA so approx 16 miles.  Chip says in the Wired interview that he still had full battery voltage, (not full charge just full power still available) based on that another 2-4 laps would have been fine.

I think that in 5-10 years is going to be the significant change.  As for the BBC stunt they are using a non production car that is several years old.  If they were serious they would use the iMev or Leaf current production electric vehicles that have more range and better efficiency.

Battery cost... is high about probably a little higher than a full engine and gearbox rebuild (not required on electric).  However the Lithium batteries are 99% recyclable and valuable to recyclers so you would probably only have to pay 50% of full value for a swap arrangement.

Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

apples for apples

Intersting indeed. Watching the vid showed the thing is f'n quick once wound up and seems to get the power down quite well, the wheelies ended with a bump each time which shows the rider backing off quickly but the nature of electric drive would make fitting wheelie and wheel spin control electronics relatively easy. Change of direction seemed difficult to do quickly, not exactly flickable. Can't comment on competitieve nature of this series but it's a long time since I saw so many missed apex's!

Reply to this Topic
therightstuff

Feb 09

green???

The only thing that makes me chuckle with irony, is these battery's still use natural resources in them that are dug up from the ground, then (unless nuclear) power stations burn coal or gas to charge them up - is it really worth it.  Obviously it is good that more forms of transport fuel are coming to the market but this is sport.  And we are still basically plundering the Earth of resources till it runs out then we find another one - just we get to feel good about it and sit on some type of moral high ground... End of rant

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices