Skip to content

Ask an Expert Whats appropriate for me? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Whats appropriate for me?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Whats appropriate for me?

You must get this a lot however, i'm a novice and have no real idea what i'm doing :) so any help would be great. 

My criteria as follows:
I will be riding six miles to uni each day (in cent london) and back again, during the rush hours.
I would like a bike with good economy and pref. a low insurance group.

I'm 19 (will be 20 when i need to ride), i have a CBT (had it for a few months) and i have a car license with 2 and a half year no claims (hope 3 by the summer) 

I would like a bike not a scooter, so any information would be great? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (12 January 2011 19:56)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

YES IT HELPS!

I was just under the impression as a 19yr old i could only do a normal license that counted as an a1? It's seems better that i stick with a CBT and then when i was experienced i could do a short course and get a full license. 

The 125 will be fine for me, i'm not riding it anywhere apart from in Central London and maybe out into the surround country side.

I would like to say price of the bike it's self doesn't matter to much its all down to reliability, mpg and insurance. THE BIKE COST CAN BE 4K it it means its a better option. 
I am confused about clothing though, i did a post on that in the clothing bit if anyone could help with that it would be great :D

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SVAl

Jan 11

SVAl says:

learner

It's a little confusing, I've not heard of anyone doing their test on a 125 to ride upto that cc only. An A2 (restricted) is the full test on a 125cc motorcycle, but limits you to 33bhp for 2 years (you could ride a Hayabusa providing you restricted it down) The experience does help indeed, as said 6 months on a 125 then do your test so you don't have to repeat your CBT after the 2 years are up.

Don't get spending too much on some tarty sport 125 4 stroke, there'll be little difference between them yet insurance of say an R125 would be much more, plus you'll be bricking yourself about it getting nicked!

I'll have a look at your other post and clothing and see what advice I can offer...:eyebrows:

SVAl

Edit: You wouldnt be able to get your full licence as you're under 21 years old, but once your 2 year restriction (if you do take a restricted licence) you can have any bike you wish at full power :smile

Reply to this Topic
joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Thanks

I will stick to the CBF and replace the tyres although no one seems to stock them due to the weird size. I will do my CBR then take the license when i'm accustomed to riding. I've ridden a zx10r on private land and to be honest i wasn't going fast at all and it was exceptionally  never racking. 

Reply to this Topic
SVAl

Jan 11

SVAl says:

Make sure the lid you want is comfortable to you and fits correctly before worrying about some star system, a badly fitting helmet would cause even more trouble in an accident, regardless of stars it has. - I have no idea why I put this in this thread, should have been in the other...:lol:

The Contigo tyres fit the tyre size (check google) Good choice going for the CBF, it wont let you down!

Fairplay for having a go on the ZX10R, I had a go on a CBR1000RRA 2 months after my test....mental :blink:

SVAl

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices