Skip to content

Ask an Expert New to biking - clothing for a commuter. Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > New to biking - clothing for a commuter.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

New to biking - clothing for a commuter.

Hello everyone,

I will this summer start commuting to work / uni in central london every day during rush hour. 

I reckon i've budgeted around £500 towards clothing, and i want something that can keep me cool in the summer but keep me protected as i over heat and thus sweat. 

I do have one issue i have size 12.5 / 13 feet and so boots might be an issue, but if i'm just commuting this might not be needed? 

Also are trousers necessary or not?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 January 2011 01:46)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

clothing

I don't wear bike trousers in the summer unless I'm going for a thrash.

As for boots, ex-army boots are excellent, cheap and come in huge sizes.

Reply to this Topic
joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Clothing

I have loads of pairs of boots so thats good to know!

DO trousers offer any real protection?

Reply to this Topic
SVAl

Jan 11

SVAl says:

clothing

What people ride in is totally upto them, although I would never ride without at least a helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I've been down the road in jeans n hoodie, and trust me, road rash kills!

Obviously you need a lid, I find AGV fit me perfectly while Arai don't. Head down to your local bike shop and try on every lid possible, different companies may have different measurements. I recommend you look at the Caberg lids, alot of commuters use em - they flip up and have an internal sun visor in them plus relatively cheap for a lid at around £100ish.

Jacket and trousers, you'd probably want textile, leather while giving better protection is heavier and less flexible. Textiles also tend to be a little bit better when it pisses it down. Recommend you look at the RST brand, I have a Spyke one myself. A lot of companies will sell matching trousers which zip together at the waist with the jacket. If you do take a tumble it stops them getting torn off and giving you bad road rash. My trousers slip over the top of my jeans so once I get to college I whip em off. They're definatley worth getting, jeans arent waterproof at all...however you can get some kevlar jeans for around £80 £130 if you're going somewhere social.

Definatley a set of gloves; Arlen Ness, RST, Alpinestars, Knox etc etc tonnes of companies to look at. Personally have a summer pair, cheap ebay buffalo ones (£30) and some random winter ones from the bargain bucket. Might be able to get some heated ones within your budget, keep hands toasty in the winter months. Try and get a neck tube too, stops getting a draught down your jacket...

Boots, your CCF army boots will do, any sturdy boot will with ankle protection.

SVAl

Reply to this Topic
joshnathan

Jan 11

joshnathan says:

Clothing thanks

i was looking at the helmets with 5 star ratings as i need what goes inside the helmet quite a lot :P 

I was thinking a shark s500 (something like that) for a helmet and then the HELD 6832 jacket.

BTW is it worth the £65+ on a chain and lock?

Reply to this Topic
SVAl

Jan 11

SVAl says:

other topic...

A good quality and brand chain would help, it should also effect your insurance costs. Would not leave my bike in a city without one, but fortunatley I don't have to.

I replied regarding the helmet in the other thread for some reason...:blink:

Reply to this Topic
biffbouncer

Jan 11

biffbouncer says:

clothing

alot of places do packages, with helmets and jackets combos or all of the stuff you need. RST is really good value and for £500 you should be fine. Places like www.motopuro.co.uk do packages, but it all depends on what you want? gloves and lid are really essential, but wear as much as you can afford. If you can get everything get everything! look for year old reduced kit too. Keep a look out for the best deal. Nitro make a 5star helmet for about £80!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices