Skip to content

General Can you hide or remove 'not for road use' stamps? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Can you hide or remove 'not for road use' stamps?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

Can you hide or remove 'not for road use' stamps?

Mate just asked if you can? He's looking at race pipes cos they are cheaper. I know you can get BSAU plates but it wouldnt work on all cans I don't think. i have heard of people polishing the 'not for R U' stamp out. how many hours that gonna take? Also, how likely is it that PC Plod is gonna pull you over to check and what is the penalty?

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 January 2011 17:21)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
late60sbiker

Oct 09

late60sbiker says:

One risk with doing this.

It will almost certainly invalidate your insurance, as an unapproved modification, if you do not inform your insurance company.

Stainless steel cans  can be polished and that's it. Chrome plates cans, will lose the plating in the polished area, they will then rust.

So if you drop the bike and its a write off, ask yourself if the insurance would pay put?  If you are at fault in an accident, would you be covered for any claims?

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

I have little strips of silver heat resistant tape covering 'not for road use' on mine. It's more for the MOT as the police here to their credit usually don't bother pulling you for having cans. It passes MOT as they're not allowed to remove anything from your bike. It's pretty bloody obvious what's under there but it still passes, the test guys even joke about it. Although like Late60's says, insurance is a different matter.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

maybe I'm thick

but I can't see why you'd want to.

Just get a road-legal can, get the fuelling set up if need be, and tell your insurance.

Problem solved.

If it's subject to a VOSA inspection post accident (for insurance), or he get's pulled by a clued up Plod, you won't get it past them; they'll KNOW (or find out) it's a NFRU can.

Penalty for driving without insurance (void insurance) is MINIMUM of 6 points.

It's not unknown for non-fault accident / insurance claims to be reversed where VOSA have deemed the bike to be defective / illegal: think about that.

(Edited for a typo).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

loud can

you used to be able to buy stickers with a bsau number on them  to cover up the stamped not for road use spiel

adie r is talking shite as usual on my can it was getting noisy so ire built it and the not for f\road use was written on the can strap so i rivveted it back on inside out

loud pipes save lives and bollocks to the rest ov ya

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

insurance

countryrider, no disrespect, but i know some traffic cops, many have turned down promotion as they love driving, some of em actually ride bikes!  Mate told me to apply then get traffic officer, I hold all licence categories..they aint thick!  I suggest keeping it legal from an insurance point of view, as you will get clobered, something you at your age, simply cannot afford!  Im paying 300 quid on a zzr 1100 with flat carb tops, full power version..stay within the law and youll have less problems..

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

oscar the grouch

loud pipes save lives ..so if i came past your house in a rural location at a 120+ (as most wankers do in our village ona  sunday morning..having two daughters, one 3 months old, then have her screaming for 30 mins calming her down, then crack on, but i hope i dont meet you at willingham as i did a group and asked the plod to check their pipes..my daughter was badly upset..think of others when riding through rural villages..case tractor with 15 furrow plough vs idiots on gixxers doing a ton plus around blind bends..= fatalities...as i have been unfortunate to witness.

Reply to this Topic
countryrider

Jan 11

countryrider says:

fair nuff

My mate is just trying to save a few quid. End of the day it is up to him.

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

can

got pulled by cops for small number plate, with a renagage not for road use can, did'nt take a blind bit of notice of can, gave me a rectification ticket to get plate changed,

on another bike with quill can, got pulled up spot check, the cop said heard you coming, breathalised me, talked about bike for couple of minutes then on me way

it all depends who pulls you up, you might get a dimwit cop or a clued up dimwit cop,

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

plod

yeah true, BUT..beware..a an awful lot of traffic officers, also run the bike safe scheme here in Lincs..lol..and, having seen a few and met a few over a coffee..to be honest, they aint a bad bunch..they, let you..shall we say, make progress!

sorry for the rant earlier..im chilled now..found a case of john smiths i forgot about!

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

cops

your right they are not all jobsworths,

cracking on, one great to be alive, lovely sunny day

was well over speed limit on A road got pulled up by cop in an unmarked police car,

climbed off bike took lid off and said fair cop, he said not worried about speed, be carefull overtaking on solid white lines, went over by about six foot on last overtake,

total respect for his judgment

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices