Skip to content

Discuss This Haslam completes successful three day private test World Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > World Superbikes > Haslam completes successful three day private test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

Haslam completes successful three day private test

Leon Haslam benefitted from a three day private test at Cartegena where he was the only rider on track in an effort to get a full understanding of the advanced electronics system onboard his BMW S1000RR. The 27 year old rode with the official BMW test team onboard a test bike due to his factory race bikes currently being in transit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 January 2011 15:51)

Post a message in World Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

3 Days

A good amount of time on track to start to get warmed up for the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fly out the traps at the start of the season but then fade when everyone else gets there sh1t together mostly likely when they land in Europe.

He seems to me to be becoming a testing and development racer with his constant team switching and I'm beginning to wonder if he can be the man over a complete season. 

Reply to this Topic
tas901q

Jul 10

tas901q says:

A little harsh Jamie

I thought he fully intended to stay on the Suzuki but they reduced the squad to one bike leaving his future uncertain. Otherwise a great season finishing second to what was an absolutely awesome bike with a very experienced team and rider.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

This is mega bucks racing.

Reply to this Topic
Maxxgas

Dec 10

Maxxgas says:

I thought the only reason he left suzuki was there was no factory support for most of last season, ( leaving a gsxr with decent handling but slow motor) and no support this year. The way world supers are now you're no where without factory support (ten kate is the exception ) I believe he was contracted to alstare for 2011 but released when factory withdrew. Good luck to him this season, deserves to go one better this year.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Corser  has shown that the BMW is a good package. I think this year with Haslam we will find out just how good it is and whether it can really challenge at the front.

Reply to this Topic
hobes

Mar 09

hobes says:

I wish LH all the best feel sorry for TC as he put all that work in just to be pipped to the post in surely his last year in WSB. But what a year it will be.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Is it?

He's arguably one of the most experienced riders in any paddock given his breadth of knowledge of different bikes, 125-500cc GP 2 strokes, all the relevant BSB/WSB diesels and has accumulated how many race wins and how many titles at the age of 27? 12 top flight wins in all classes since 1998 and 0 titles in 12 years at full professional road racer level. I think this indeed suggests that while he's a fast, talented boy he hasn't taken his opportunities. Look around at all the other 27odd year olds in the top 5 in all classes and count the titles 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yes it is - in my opinion

I take your point Jamie (the same could be said about Jonny Rea to some degree - albeit he's a few years younger). But you've got to say Haslam has been on an upward curve over the last two years of WSBK. He took the fight all the way to Biaggi last year on a much improved Suzuki - but one that didn't take the final step much to the disgrace of the factory that should've backed its rider.

More concerning is the fact that Haslam sounds like he is not happy with the throttle connection of the BMW. This bike remember runs it's own electronics package so is always going to be on a different level to the industry leading MM Marvel4 ECU. To date that level has been a step behind. Witness Corser's constant fading throughout 2010. I really hope Haslam gets it sorted as he certainly proved his fighting credentials last year with a constant display of controlled aggressive riding. He may have been born onto a bike, but perhaps Leon is one of those that just needs to graft away at his craft to improve as opposed to those naturally gifted riders who just appear to be a homogeneous part of the machine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jonnyrocket

Mar 09

jonnyrocket says:

Haslam

He is the complete article in WSBK ,just needs a bit of luck with teams.  Best privateer by a long way on the Stiggy Honda, undersold by Suzuki last year,  and incidentally was a good second to Max who rode well and had the best bike in the paddock.  I think personally his biggest let down was not winning in BSB.  There I will agree he should've taken the title at least once.  I hope Nostro that he can get on with the BMW electronics he deserves a good ride...he has proved he can compete over a season let's hope Leon gets the back up he needs.

All the best Leon.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

nintendo riders

This whole issue of electronic aids is a big challange to riders and us fans as well. Imagine the bike starts to slide exiting a corner, your 12 years of experience instinctively leads you to feather the throttle - but now using the Fly By Wire system you keep it open and allow the electronoics to do it's job, faster and with less retardation of progress, so when the bike is more upright the gas is still open and you get the quickest corner exit. On a road bike this would be difficult but on a racing bike that would bite your head of normally its a huge leap of faith and you have to make it every corner hundreds of times in a race. Similarly when a Superbike starts to wheelie in second your reactions have to be quick or your on your arse, now you have to decide to do nothing!

Casey Stoner got it and ran away from the opposition, note how many other on Ducati didn't get it. Now its part of the "game" Mastering and tuning the electronics to the machine and to the rider are a whole new challange and not all riders will be able to meet it. (remember how Casey regularly said he didn't understand why he crahsed)? I think LH will get it, you can bet he will give it 100%

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices