Skip to content

Ask an Expert bandit wont start. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > bandit wont start.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

eyan

Oct 10

eyan says:

bandit wont start.

Hi, can anyone give me advice on why my 600 bandit wont start? It has been stood in the garage for 2 months. the battery is fine and im getting a spark from the plugs. i have tried bump starting it but it wont spring into life. all it does is backfire. any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 January 2011 18:46)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

hmm

when the gap is set at 5 mil i only get a faint spark but when i set the gap to its maximum { 8 mil } ..whcih gap are you refering to eyan? is this some sort of variable on the spark tester ?

and what i meant about the coils was each coil has its own two wire feed i wondered if you had put the feed wires for one coil onto the other ?????

i'm starting to run out of ideas ...other than removing plugs and drying them out  properly and maybe trying to test the c.d.i pick up ?????? 

Reply to this Topic
eyan

Oct 10

eyan says:

spark

the coils are too far apart to put them in the wrong order. the tool i bought is called a motion pro ignition system tester.its like a spark plug shape. you put it into a plug lead, earth it and there is a gauge that you can set by screwing it up and down to make the gap bigger. you can set it from no gap upto an 8 mil gap.the wider the gap i make, the bigger the spark. i havent had the cdi tested cos i was told that if it was faulty i wouldnt get any power at all. is this correct?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

visit

I`m coming over to yah tomorrow to find more clues:shock:.As my 3rd post why can`t you smell petrol at the end of the exhaust? It should be dripping petrol out now or you`ve a rats nest up there.Years ago i used to spray Easy Start into cars carb intake to see if they were short of petrol,but bike carb intakes are miles away from the engines.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Flooding it?

You said you changed the coils and got a much better spark, so perhaps you've fixed the original problem but (as others have said) you're now flooding it. Try cranking a few times with no choke (fuel tap on RUN or ON, not PRIME), then open the choke a little at a time and try again.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

now thats

mighty nice jaffa.......eyan you owe this fella a pint or two:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
eyan

Oct 10

eyan says:

theres life in my bandit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what? i gave the choke a couple of pumps and the bike started up first time. it sounds as sweet as a nut. many thanks to everyone for their advice. i cant stop grinning. pint anyone?

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

happy days mate.. get her ready for spring!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

started

Thank f**k for that,now we can all sleep.

Suggest a little redex in your tank and at 4/5000 on a quite straight road shut off and give it full choke a couple of times for 5 seconds only.Also don`t ring us,we`ll ring you.:shock:  

Reply to this Topic
eyan

Oct 10

eyan says:

nice one

:tongue:m.o.t on monday and then selling it. ha ha!

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

what

was wrong with it then

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool