Skip to content

General Fuel protests General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Fuel protests

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

countrylass11

Jan 11

Fuel protests

In 2000, the hauliers and contractors threatened to block the motorways and roads in protest at increased fuel charges. Then they went quiet! I believed then that the Government had done a deal with them and left the rest of us hung out to dry.

Yesterday, I watched Prime Minister's questions. A labour MP asked about fuel increases. David Cameron stated quite clearly that the haulage contractors were due a 'raise', as they had not received one since 2000, shooting Ed Milliband a knowing look in the process. Now I know I'm right AND they're going to do this again. WE, the general public HAVE to now do what the haulage contractors most certainly will not now be doing. WE must block the motorways and roads in a concerted effort to put and end to the suffering and misery of millions of financially hard pressed people who are being squeezed off the road even if they live in the middle of nowhere. We cannot expect others to protest on our behalf and MUST help ourselves. 
A full on protest including the holding up of traffic(hauliers included!), blocking of essential roads and motorways has to be initiated and supported by all. I believe this can be done through networking sites, local protest groups and coordination hopefully through MCN. My back is broken. You're next if you don't DO something!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (20 January 2011 18:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stingy1

Oct 10

stingy1 says:

yeah, right.

and how much wages will millions of people lose...and how long will it take to claw back the lost earnings if the government drop it 20p a litre (no chance)

just drink one less pint of pub carling on a night out, or buy one less pack of fags a week, or drive more economically.

give truckers free road tax, but the high cost of fuel (relatively to ten yr ago) keeps the roads from gridlock.

And try walking to the shops.

simple isnt it.

Reply to this Topic
stingy1

Oct 10

stingy1 says:

AND....

Kids are quite capable of walking to school, so ranting fat arsed women arnt fighting to drop them off a mile from home, in hubbies 4x4 etc.

just get a life.

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

protest

your right lass,we all knew they did a deal with the transport , divide and conquer as they will do with the bikers and have done, with the new test etc....apathy rules ok! Look at the price of diesel....waste from refining petrol...like the mild ale,...throw everything in!!!!! the dead rat in the cider////How many switched from petrol to diesel to save money?..........revolution 

Reply to this Topic
PENWELL

Jul 08

PENWELL says:

Fuel protest

Received a related email the other day requesting that we all boycot two petroleum companies. Those are BP and Esso as they seem to be the largest fuel companies that have increased their charges. The emails were encouraged to be passed on to whom whoever they could contact within their group of email recipiants. This would then in turn multiply by the thousands of people visiting alternative petrol stations, thus freezing out the two most expensive culprits.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Oil companies.

It might be true that oil companies sneak a few pence onto the price of a litre when the tax goes up. It is certainly true that they are quick to raise the price when crude goes up and slow to drop prices when the cost of a barrel falls. But finding and harvesting oil is an increasingly high-tech, dangerous and expensive task with no guarantee of success. Targetting fuel protests at the oil companies would be hitting the wrong target.

63% (see link) of the cost of a UK litre is down to two taxes (fuel duty and VAT) on a single purchase! Successive governments have encouraged road use whilst damaging local communities in all sorts of ways, failing to maintain those same roads and then hit the motorist's pocket whilst offering inadequate travel alternatives.

Protests aimed at the oil companies would just let the government off the hook.

Reply to this Topic
sad500

Dec 07

sad500 says:

I agree with james

the oil companies pretty much deserve their cash, its not easy or cheap getting the stuff out of the ground/sea.

Its the UK government that need to feel our anger. We pay too fucking much tax on it period!

I look at what the Americans are paying for a gallon of petrol and it makes my blood boil that we are being continually screwed by successive governments for our fuel.  Bastards!

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Apparently they keep cranking up fuel tax because they arent making anywhere near as much as they used to on fag duty.

Yes, you could cut down on other things to pay for your fuel, but 1.30 for a litre of petrol, and virtually all of that being tax, is ridiculous if you ask me, petrol isnt expensive because its hard to get at, or running out, or bad for the environment or any of that rubbish, its expensive because its a tax gold mine.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Mike and jwe4,

I think in a "sustained blockade" we would blink before the government did. In this world which successive governments have created we all need to travel. Yes, we can walk to the local shop for the basics and if we're lucky they won't have closed the local post office and the bus service will be adequate. (My local bus service doesn't start until 9:30, so no use for commuting.)

There may be some people who have enough money to make 20mpg cars acceptable but that doesn't mean this universal tax is just.

And if countrylass11 is using this forum solely to get people behind her cause, well it's a motoring forum (although sometmes I wonder about that) so why not?

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Stingy

Would love to walk to the nearest shops only trouble is its a 7 mile round trip.  Would also love to take the train to work but dont think i could manage all the gear required, total station, laptop, stand etc.even if where i lived had a station  "Keeps the roads from gridlock" Dont know how much rush hour driving you do but its far from free flowing on the M1 or A1 usually because of lorries overtaking!.Ban them from overtaking between 7-9 and 4-6 and watch the flow of traffic double.  The fact is until we want to pay for a lot of the public services (most of which are useless IMHO) or lose them, they have to be paid for somehow

Reply to this Topic
stingy1

Oct 10

stingy1 says:

The fact is...look outside the box

If we were a respectable nation, like Japan, and didnt throw mcdonalds bags out of car windows, vandalise bus shelters, graffitti everywhere , taxes would be lower.

If we didnt allow every tom dick and ghandi into the country, to sit at home drinking all day, on tax payers expense, stuff would all be cheaper.

Britain is a filthy nation, full of selfish couldnt care less people, chucking rubbish, fly tipping, benefit scavenging.

We created it ....well not me, i had nothing 16 yrs ago, but i grafted, went on my own, and make enough money to enjoy life.

Away from working at jaguar, where walk out would happen if the friggin food machine was empty. Or too hot in the factory...where staff walked around with cups of water to try and stop walk outs.

So block the roads, do as you please, yer will just be like the pathetic whinging jag / rover/ etc etc strikers of the past.

Get some friggin balls and graft your way out, or sit whining on the ship of fools.

Pathetic.........Countrylass, if yer back is broken over 20p more a litre, well....says it all. :mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle