Skip to content

Discuss This Government boost for moped scheme General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Government boost for moped scheme

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Government boost for moped scheme

A scheme which helps people find work by lending them mopeds is to get a share of a £560million Government fund to boost sustainable transport. The moped scheme has been recognised as providing sustainable transport alongside walking, cycling and public transport initiatives in a white paper called ‘Creating Growth, Cutting Carbon’.   The scheme, called Wheels 2 Work, uses support from dealerships to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 January 2011 13:17)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

hmmm

Hasn't anyone told the current Goverment that they are too late. Under the previous Government it could have worked because there were jobs to find.

I can see the BMF getting excited about this but if the Government really want to promote the "benefits of motorcycle use in Big Society" then they would do well to fix the roads, provide adequate free secure parking and give us back the bus lanes. The Government should also scrap any plans of road charging for motorcycles. If this all happened, I might just believe the Government were serious about promoting the  "benefits of motorcycle use in Big Society".

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Not really what it says Faz

Well done on you for trying to "big this up" but whilst the white paper http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/regional/sustainabletransport/pdf/whitepaper.pdf does mention W2W (P82) it's only in the context of an example “community (voluntary) transport operators”

It being mentioned in NO way means ANY money will be made available to W2W schemes as individual bids must be made by local authorities as part of the “localisation” of funding the coalition government is pursuing.

Sorry to be a killjoy but W2W schemes have stumbled from one financial crises to another relying on occasional funding from local authorities when times were “good” and I’d be VERY surprised if any get funding because of a paragraph in a white paper now that local authorities are facing a first year cut in budets of 14-17%

GV8

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Don’t try and cash a cheque

On the basis of a Press release from ANY lobbying organisation (even one quoting Chris Hodder and penned by Jeff Stone who I’ve know for years)

I’m just pointing out that it’s not quite that clear cut; the White paper makes a passing reference (Let’s be thankful for small mercies though ay!) but the funding mechanisms are geared against such projects and even if they weren’t these extremely laudable schemes will have to compete with works promoted by CTC et al,who seasoned advocates that they are, GUARENTEES  lots of lovely cycle lanes will be built!

Here's an idea though ~ how’s about MCN (or BMF if you're busy) trying to put Norman Baker (the minister responsible) on the spot by asking him DIRECTLY if W2W IS to “get a share of a £560million Government fund to boost sustainable transport” as your/BMF press release states instead of raising expectations that may not (won’t?) be fulfilled

GV8

Reply to this Topic
kennon

May 10

kennon says:

has to be 4 stroke

these would so definitely be 4 stroke to keep costs down wihich is a shame cos could bring allot more 2 stroke lovers the problems of ineffeciency and high maintenance

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Hard to ride with fingers crossed Faz

but lets hope for the best.:smile

But then who's going to write the bid(s) for each regional W2W scheme for their local authorities to put forward to the DfT? (you don't think each LA is going to do that off their own bat do you?? :doubt:)

GV8

Reply to this Topic
mattyamaha

May 10

mattyamaha says:

i want a yamaha yzf r125 please :D

i am still trying to gather enough cash together to get my beloved yamaha  that ive wanted for ages now    just so i can get my bearings back on a geared bike again  (been ages since ive ridden a geared bike)   then after i got and get myself a lovely  kawasaki ninja 250

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Win-Win

Assuming there is truth in it (and lets face it there's a clear business case if it lifts people from benefits to work), it seems a win-win situation for everybody. 

1.The person gets free transport and potentially a new interest 
2.Tax payer gets value for money 
3.Motorcycling community will inevitably see people graduate on to bigger stuff. 
4.Motorcycling will become safer per mile as more dirvers will expect to see 2 wheeled vehicles. 

Compared to the gimmicks the previous government used in their race to the fiscal bottom (Think 15% VAT, EMA, Free bus passes), this one certainly seems to make sense.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

good grief

What's this an early April fool????? or has our glorious government done something positive for a change. Mind you if they made motorcycling compulsory to all the B******s still wouldn't get my vote. lol

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

lord charles aint helping no one!...

so  the  unelected   toff   group  are  to  help  young  people,       funny   that ,      is  that  why  certain  new  cars  qualify  for  zero  road  tax   and   yet   mopeds   and  125 s    have  to  cough  up  for  a  disc?....      dont   the  bullshit  smell   strong  at  this  time  of  year   folks......                  trust    camoron   at  your  peril.................

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Some weird comments on this thread ? ". Don"t trust Cameron " , it was Blair that came from a Tory "household" his father being a lifelong Tory supporter ,and went to a similar collage as Cameron/ Cleggy . Blair and gang never scrapped any of the silly Tory /Thatcher laws or anti -union laws while in power . Labour brought in the new tax rules that are based on emissions , and  stopped free tax discs on classic bikes made after  1973 . Nearly all [in fact ALL] anti -biking laws ,starting with crash helmets ,were either started ,or brought in by Labour under mainly transport ministers who didn"t have a driving licence between them ! .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices