Skip to content

Discuss This BMW S1000RR second fastest EVER on Top Gear test track General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BMW S1000RR second fastest EVER on Top Gear test track

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

BMW S1000RR second fastest EVER on Top Gear test track

The much anticipated bike versus car showdown show on Top Gear on BBC2 last night left one important question unanswered… just how fast around the track was the BMW S1000RR? MCN was there on the day of the filming back in October and we can confirm the BMW superbike was less than a second slower than the mental Ariel Atom V8;...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 January 2011 12:54)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Mikeyy

Oct 10

Mikeyy says:

quick idea

put max baiggi on his race spec aprilia round top gear track against stigs lap time in the aton then we'll see :P

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

TG show

MCN have already stated that they watched not just the televised lap but also all other laps performed in the atom and on the beemer. Fastest lap for the Atom was shown and topped the timing sheet. Steve Brogans practice time was within a second of the atoms fastest time (it wasn't shown on the tv and wasn't the race lap). With more track time maybe steve could significantly reduce the bikes lap time but for now we know that the bike HAS circulated the track faster than every other road car except for the V8 atom (that includes the Veyron SS).

The ultima is not deemed a road car in terms of TG because it's ultra low ground clearance doesn't permit it to get over speed bumps (which are after all a daily part of many peoples commute). This is a ruling they have had from the start and one they used to remove an F1 race cars time from the time sheet (Renault F1 car - sub 1 minute)

Reply to this Topic
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

Power to Weight Ratio

The car has a better power to weight ratio once you factor in the rider/driver's weight. Assuming 75kg the car would have 760hp/kg and the bike only 676hp/kg.

Reply to this Topic
Pagik

Sep 10

Pagik says:

5leafclover

Cor, you are a right little ray of sunshine aren't you petal.................

:)

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Good

constructive comments there from 5leafclover...!!

Well done.. If ya don't give a crap then why bother posting a comment?? Does everything have to mean something..? Can't you just enjoy an entertaining piece of telly?? I thought was highly watchable.. well done.. who cares who won and who didn't and what a fix it might or might not have been....?? It is a CAR show after all.. Clarkson will never glorify bikes as long as blood runs through him.. But I still like him and his show!

;)

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Re - Run

Ok Ive finally done it,

Sid, The old fella in Sunny farm nursing home , the one in room 23b ( the one with a gammy leg.), He recons that his Electric Mobility scooter, All new 2011 mod) Rascal 329LE "CLASS THREE SCOOTER, with a whopping 70AMP battery. Can tear the arse ( his words not mine) off my Grans Classic S11 Zen mobility scooter (Portable) With an amazing 2x21 amp battery out put , pushing in to the 9" Chunky solid alloy wheels - rear drive, in Red with attachable front basket,

My Gran told him he that he is in "Fukcing in dream- Land"  and to "take less pills you silly old SOD"! ,

SO  race is on this sunday,12.45  one lap of the flower garden,  all bets are on !

ANY TAKERS !!!!!!!   11/2 My Gran......  evens / Sid.

PS Sid stinks of piss And Cabbage!!! Why is that ?

Bit Like Top gear Race I thinks.....

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

TomRR

Before I place my bet are any either of the contestants fitted with a pacemaker??

Could give an unfair advantage if a 'racing incident' unfolds..!

Reply to this Topic
bellender

Dec 10

bellender says:

why......

didn`t they time the bike as well?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

S1000RR -v- Atom

Don't ANY of you READ the comments (esp those by Andy Downes)?????

The race times were set with the vehicles on the track ON THEIR OWN. The "race" that TG Showed, was NOT THE ACTUAL RACE, so wheelies (bike) and rear wheel slides (car) were irrelevant.

A car & Bike on track at the same time is a recipe for an accident. They both use VERY different lines.

The Atom WAS NOT ON SLICKS. It was on (what looked like) road legal track tyres. THERE WAS TREAD quite visible. What do you think the bike was on??? Knobblies???

As for the power to weight ratio, how about putting a passenger in/on each vehicle and re-running it. What do you think would happen then???

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

eatcs ohhhhhh

hey before you get back in your pram dont forget to pick your dummy up!!!!!!

The tyres on the Atom are by looking at them semi slick and The RR dillivery normal tyres, Have just looked at the pictures on Top gear web site, TheAtom tyres are slick with cuts-mm  Not normal road tyres,, but I could be wrong,

The report says (full on race ) nothing about single race times, so what was it a race or time setting !!!!

either way its all history ,,, and trust me If I ever see a hybusacar (coz thats wot it iz) ill Give a smile and a wave as I skip past it on my RR  "thats a one finger wave":""""

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices