You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Rear Shock 850 TDM

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gpinchard

Mar 04

gpinchard says:

Rear Shock 850 TDM

Hi,  thinking of replacing my rear shock but don't want to pay the dealer price.  Its a 98 TDM.  Any recommendations?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 January 2011 13:21)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Well, I've

only ever had a Hagon one on mine as that was what previous owner fitted not long before selling the bike, it did need to be sent off to have the damping serviced (poss. air in it) but Hagon fixed it promptly with no fuss under guarantee. After that was fine, damping is adjusted with a single screw taking care of both rebound and compression and preload with fairly standard castellated adjuster ring. Hagon were good on the phone too with regard to setting up correctly, although new ones are set to right kind of level as sold. Last time I looked they were £250 or a bit more.

Obviously doesn't have that Solo/pillion/luggage quick adjust preload but most riders I've spoken to on standard shocks have usually run on the higher preload most of the time.

not many shocks around cheaper, think there's a hagon with no damping adjuster or a betor or similar available. More expensive ones with more adjustments are Maxtons tailormade to suit you option or WP or Ohlins or maybe Nitron, maybe Technoflex (Dutch)

There is a slight compromise on the rear suspension due to no linkages but without the sophistication of the WP shocks fitted to KTM off roaders which also had no links, and CCM had a linkless setup but inclined further to get the right suspension action.

All the above was neccessary I believe to squeeze the standard exhaust in and keep noise down. Only problem I found was riding quickly over large bumps and rises when you tended to get pitched up from the seat a little more than some bikes, otherwise suspension soaks up bumpy roads well.

Think any secondhand shock in a breakers may be on it's last legs. Hope this helps and not too much info!! :lol: 

Reply to this Topic
cob427uk

Nov 10

cob427uk says:

Rear Shock 850 TDM

Lots of useful advice here and years of combined TDM experience to call on.

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=4532

Hope this help inform the debate :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle