Skip to content

Discuss This One in five stolen vehicles is a bike General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > One in five stolen vehicles is a bike

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

One in five stolen vehicles is a bike

Motorcycles account for more than one in five stolen vehicles despite making up only about 1% of vehicles on the road, according to new figures. While the number of motorcycles stolen every year has fallen, the figure for cars has dropped much faster.   The result is that bikes have gone from representing 16.8% of all vehicles stolen in 2006 to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 January 2011 14:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

But what can we do?

I'm guessing that a lot if not most stolen bikes end up aboard. There is no issue with bikes being right hand drive. Also as shown in you pictures security locks and alarms are of little us when the bike can be lifted into a van. Are sophisticated immobilisers similar to those on cars fitted as standard the answer?

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

thats teh problem with makeing bikes lighter and smaller easier to nick

could be cause the feckin manufactures keep making the bikes smaller and lighter easy to pick up and more expensive so worth more broken up. wonder if the cbr is still the most stolen bike

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

CBR??

CBR the most stolen??

It USED to be the Kawasaki KMX125/200 was the most stolen.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

bike thefts

is wondering how many bike tea leaves are reading this

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

we are not alone

its the same over in mainland europe--on another forum I visit some guy posted a story how the boarder police in Austria or Hungary in a 2 week period stopped some 6 Ukranian vans heading back to the Ukraine--and all had very nice bikes-stripped and ready to be sold as spare parts. In total about 48 bikes and all--yes all had been stolen in and around central Italy in the days preceding being stopped.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hang on... isn't 1 in every 5 people are Chinese?... (5 replies... I reckon it's fomancu)... they should be more careful where they park their bikes!

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

Lack of a deterrent. If they catch the bastards all they sometimes get is a slap on the wrist. I was thinking more in terms of severing of limbs, burying up to the neck in sand in the midday sun ( assuming we get sun ) or a particular favourite one of mine - tie them to a chair and make them listen to Bruce Forsythe bleating on about how he should have got a knighthood by now. :-)

Reply to this Topic
BradleyRob

Jan 11

BradleyRob says:

lazy riders

Sadly the number of bikers who make no attempt to have an alarm or put any locks on their bike is shocking.  Some riders lock their helmet to the bike with a cheap wire.

How many of the bikes stolen had nothing to stop/slow a thief??

I have every sympathy for those who have taken some precautions - but not those who park and walk off and are just too lazy to even fix a simple disk lock.

Reply to this Topic
gabbro

May 09

gabbro says:

Caught red handed

A couple years ago my sons bike was stolen from outside his girlfriends house, that was after the scum had cut the chain securing it. Any way first we knew of it was when the police phoned me to say they had caught the culprits offloading the bike from a pick up (only 30 mins after the crime).  The bad bit was the CPS dropped the case on the ground of insufficient evidence.

With you tockie about sun and sand, but using brucie might be going too far....

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

I used to think when I parked,do I need to lock my bike i'm only going to be a few minutes, but the simple answer is yes definately because it only takes minutes for your pride and joy to disappear without trace. Get into the habit of putting a lock on it only takes seconds and I wouldn't even think of leaving my helmet on the bike - gloves under the seat maybe but that's it.    

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices