Skip to content

Discuss This Bikes to get warning systems ‘within two years’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikes to get warning systems ‘within two years’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikes to get warning systems ‘within two years’

Motorcycles that warn riders when they’re speeding or cornering too fast will be on the road in two years, say researchers.    Warning systems have been fitted to a Yamaha Tenere and Triumph Sprint for tests by the Motor Industry Research Association. Details of the tests were first reported by MCN a year ago, when we revealed a prototype would use GPS...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 January 2011 15:14)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

aboutye.

what is the bike in pic1?   looks like a 1970s Scooter with a speedo that goes to a max of 100mph and a voltage gauge for a battery ( from empty to 100%)  Is it an electric bike perhaps ? and why is somebody making funny animall shapes on the screen?

Reply to this Topic
aboutye

Jan 11

aboutye says:

Hi snev

Don't know what the bike is and the funny animal shapes is the reflection of the hands and camera of whoever took the picture.

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

I AGREE

Damn right Pompeypig, live & let live and enjoy the freedom (although i do like the comment by zephyrdave about every commute home being like the scene from Matrix, ashamed to admit it but thats me sometimes) Back to the warning system, HOW BIG IS THAT THING ????

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Nice sales pitch.

But none of the bike manufactueres will hike bike prices to include that gimmick in a dead market for bike sales. People will only disconnect the bloody things, I would if I bought a new bike with that tat on it. Its technology and its do-able.

Do`nt fancy catching my nuts on that when you slide up the tank in an off !!!!!

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Imagine the bloody proximity sensors will be vibrating all the time with the deadhead cagers encroaching on your space all the time like they do.

What about the proximity of pedestrians setting off the vibrating alerts all the time in town and busy streets?

The other way it will fail which these logistical amatuers don`t realise is this:

A rookie or two will rely on the stupid box telling them what speed is safe to enter a bend they don`t know. But being rookies they cant` take the bend at the recommended speed and they will bin it badly. Lawsuits will follow like crazy when the Accident Claims Lawyers get hold of these cases, because they will claim the safe speed was too fast for thier inexperienced client. They rode at that speed which they felt was unsafe, but did so because this "safety" gadget told them it was safe to go round that bend at that speed ! Imagine the lawyers having a bloody field day? and they will.

" The computer said it was safe to go round the bend at 60mph, but I didnt know there was mud on the road around the bend and a slow moving tractor "

There is ONLY one speed to take any bend at............ the one the individual rider feels safe given the road conditions at that time and how the rider feels.

Putting a blanket safe speed for any bend is utterly ridiculous. There are no safe speeds for bends unitl you see it for yourself.  Technology like this is a bullshit waste of time.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Better Idea:

These "safety wallah`s" do`nt know enough about riding bikes ON THE ROAD. Not on the road for a couple, of times month either, but riding regularly at all times in all condtions.

What would be a far better idea is to make a head up display inside or just outside your helmet visor. No need to take your eyes off the road Mr Safety expert. The road is where the danger is not on a bloody computer program.

Make it wireless and linked to a fixed GPS unit in the bike by the manufacturers. No other parts on the bike.

The wireless helmet gear comes as an optional extra leaving the choice of whether to have one down to the rider. Not only could the bike manufacturers make their own helmet kit which could have higher or lower specifications, but other independant companies could make their own units for helmets. The helmet kits could be programmable to turn various features on or off for different skills levels or different bike useage, different roads.

The complete wire free kit could include the capability for bike intercoms, SATNAV for the head up display with audio, basic units for rookies, and more features for experienced riders or professional riders, speed advice if you want it on the heads up display, weather advice if its cold, traffic advice,etc.

Thats the kind of thing we would like. Experienced riders will not want (or have) all the computer generated safety buzzers, whistles, bells and alarms.

We have been saying for decades why do`nt they sort out a head up display for the bikes speed ?????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEAD UP SPEED DISPLAY PLEASE !!

Watching the road IS MORE likey to save your life and help road safety than constantly monitoring the speedo or an additional gadget down near the tank or bars somewhere.  What happens when your speedo reads a different speed to whats on the gadget above ? In a fraction of a second quick glance downwards at the speedo in traffic, which one is right? Confusing !

A lot of companies could generate a lot of business from my idea and it will promote better bike safety and would actually be useful.

Reply to this Topic
queueslikely

Dec 10

queueslikely says:

Headup Display

HOSBUSA

Part of the SafeRider project is a head up display.  At the moment is works well if you don't wear glasses....as far as I remember the helmet was wire free.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

No Head up Display.

I`ve just looked on the website and its a massive SatNav type screen full of small icons strapped to the bike handlebars.

"Based on 2006 bike accident figures"..... uh hu..... you can feel the data manipulation to create a problem/reaction/solution.

The kit has a special right hand glove, so out goes the Nankai race gloves.

A lid install kit.....what happens when you have two or more lids? Who does the lid installation? Who pays for the lid installation?

A special throttle, so out go the Renthal Pro-grips.

A special seat, out got the custom seats then.

and a special light ???

A mounting kit for the unit.

Its got more data on that screen than the average cagers satnav.

Wing mirror rear proximity sensors. What if you don`t have wing mirrors.

Again no way will I be having one of those on any bike of mine. Far too dangerous to be looking down at a small screen full of small icon data ! This will cause more accidents because of bikers trying to read the screen and not paying attention on the road.

The thing is based on data created by a simulator under lab conditions. Warns you of speed/ throttle position/angle of lean/profile of bend/trajectory .... all based on a computer program generated by a simulator..

Any other experienced bikers reading about what some safety boffs and car manufacturers can tell us about road safety ?

The cost will still kill this before it hits the shops looking at the parts list and fitting and set up.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

...........and as we know this unit is about tracking and data monitoring by the EU in their ongoing plan to track every person, animal and physical item in the EU named the "Architecture of Everything". All masked up under the old chestnut of "safety". 

Sorry but we know about the EU controls being put in place under the heading "Health and Safety" and how it kills business and enterprise and our freedom.

Another good reason not to have one.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices