Skip to content

Discuss This Norton's 1000cc MotoGP engine revealed! New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Norton's 1000cc MotoGP engine revealed!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Norton's 1000cc MotoGP engine revealed!

Resurgent British firm Norton is weeks away from testing an all-new 1000cc V4 on the dyno as it gears up for the next stage of its rebirth: MotoGP. This extraordinary development comes just two years after British businessman Stuart Garner bought the Norton name, copyright and all rights to the famous brand.   In that time Garner has overseen design and production...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (26 January 2011 09:58)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Sponsorship?

Well, I assume they're barely making a profit from sales of the 916 so they need serious and significantly large quantities of sponsorship money to make this happen, but perhaps to get the sponsorship they need an engine running on the bench producing 2?0 bhp to prove that they are worth investing in?

It's chicken and egg, so maybe this is the hatchery?

In an age of cheap commodities, brands are everything. A strong brand is in effect a monopoly, so they'll be looking to strengthen the Norton brand in racing, which let's face it is what Norton were all about.

Go back to 1968 and Jack Findlay came 2nd in the 500cc Gands Prix championship on a Norton, although the last time Norton won it was in 1951 with Geoff Duke. Thankfully, they're not trying to do it with a single this time... ;¬)

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

@v1nn1e

although a single would sound fantastic!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

@toadhancocks

They could run a 250 single in Moto 3.

Lets hope they get some sponsorship to enable a serious effort to be made. Not looking good though, even Yamaha ain't got a sponsor yet and they're title holders. Other well established teams are also struggling to find sponsors, check out Crescent Suzuki.

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

dude ive got wood!!!!

this is a great thing for british racing!!!!

Reply to this Topic
hondarc30

Jul 09

hondarc30 says:

I love my Honda V4's, but....

they were not the first.
An overhead cam, water-cooled racing V4 may not seem too special now, but back in 1939....yes, that's right, 72 years ago, Mr. A.J. Stevens & Co. ( AJS) produced a 500cc V4, technological tour de force. Throw in supercharging, and you had one of the most exotic motorcycle engines of its day. From a British company. 

Now, for me, the mere mention of a Norton V4 racebike blows me away. There are innumerable challenges but they are in a good position to study and learn from the opposition and given the commitment and a sponsor may just pull it off.

A black with gold pinstriping, V4 Norton Racebike..... well, just imagine the crowds!! 

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/Motorcycle-Review/AJS-500-V4-Racer.aspx

Reply to this Topic
harleytony

Jan 11

harleytony says:

dream on norton,i'll eat my arai if we ever see one on the moto gp grid

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

no ton engine....

hey   i  hear  the  factory   are  in  talks  to  sign  "  geoff   duke "    to  ride  the  bike  as  well!

Reply to this Topic
Lifeintheslowlane

Jun 10

deja vu

Norton Nemesis anyone?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Nemesis

Yes remember it. There was an awful lot of hot air hype coming out of MCN at the time. But I feel that is an unfair comparison.

This time around Norton is actually producing bikes and hence cashflow -  mighty fine and very marketable ones from what I can see too. That new black model is well horny in looks and sound.

I haven't actually read this weeks rag but would like to make a couple of points.

The regs 2012 are pretty clear cut. 6 speed, 4 cylinder 81mm bore, 24 litres of fuel (I'm picking Norton would only be entering on the basis of using 24 litres). Norton is based in the global hi tech internal combustion engine heartland. The relatively simple mechanics of building a suitable engine should not be excessively difficult. Things like optimum vee angle, value angle are known factors. Power shouldn't be an issue.

What is difficult of course is building a chassis to meet the needs of a modern GP machine, added to which is the most challenging part - the electronics package.

Lets hope they have the financial backing and clout to put these three engineering ingredients together in a coherent competitive package. Bring it on Norton. Make sure it's black with gold pin stripping though!

Come on the Empire!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices