Skip to content

Discuss This Bike vs car: cost comparison First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Bike vs car: cost comparison

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

Bike vs car: cost comparison

Getting on a moped or bike costs half as much as driving a car, and we’ve got the figures to prove it. Our research below shows that a 17-year-old driving a car will have spent around £2640 to get on the road, while a 16-year-old riding a moped will have spent just £1288. A saving of over 52%. If you’re 16+...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 January 2011 15:13)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
srad1

Jan 11

srad1 says:

who the duck

is gonna buy a 40pound helmet and ride around with it?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Jeez

Im getting a croation BT49.

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Then add the fuel...

My lad is 16 later this year. He's got all the bike gear already as he goes on the back of mine. He's very interested in a 50cc "twist and go". All he's got to do is get a part time job to pay for the fuel. In fact I need a part time job to pay for the fuel.

Reply to this Topic
Squashed_Fly

Sep 07

Squashed_Fly says:

What's wrong

with a £40 helmet?

I bought my HJC in the George Whites sale for £40. It's gold stamped (and numbered!), has double D ring fasteners and is quite comfy for the price. Ok, it's not as quiet or refined as an Arai or my old Shoei, but it's certified fit for track use.

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Cake & Eat It

It's already been said but fuel is a very compelling argument for people of any age to switch. the 125cc will go about 3 times the distance on a litre of fuel than the fiesta. Recently, family commitments meant I had to sell my beloved celica to cut costs. I now have SV650 that drinks about half the fuel and reaches 60 in about half the time. If I'd wanted to get a similarly green car with similarly low tax and insurance at my budget, just maybe, I could have scraped together enough to get a used Citroen C1. It wasn't a difficult decision.

Reply to this Topic
ired

Dec 05

ired says:

Let me know where I can get car insurance for a 17 year old male at under a grand - my sons been looking for ages now and cannot get anything for less than £2k no matter what car - and then it goes up even more after passing the test!

Reply to this Topic
JacquesWood

Nov 10

JacquesWood says:

not just 17 year olds

I'm 21, and have worked hard to own a car and a bike. I've had my Car licence for 4 years and completed my IAM 3 years ago. I've had my bike licence almost 2 years and completed my IAM 1 year ago. I own a 1999 Honda Civic 1.4 hatchback and a Ducati 600SS. I have 4 years and 2 years no claims respectively. costs as of December this year: Honda Civic 1.4 - Insurance = £770 fully comp / Tax = £128 for 12 months Ducati 600SS - Insurance =£184 fully comp / tax = £48 for 12 months My Car insurance when I first got the car 4 years ago was £1400 My Bike insurance when I first got the bike 2 years ago was £340 It's criminal!

Reply to this Topic
Mitchyman

Oct 10

Mitchyman says:

????

@JacqueWood.  How did you get your car insurance at 17 soo cheap!?!? Im looking for me now and i cant find anything under 2 grand!!!!

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

no contest!

simple  really  ,       we  on  these  here  hallowed  pages  dont  ride  to  save  money,     if  we  did  we  would  be  one  of  the  "suicide   cyclists"  in  the   fcuking  bus  lane.       no,  we  ride  because   we  wanna   ride  our  motorcycles,      simple  as ......        cars   just  dont  do  it   for  us...................

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Mitchyman

Cheap simply because it was 4 years ago I'm guessing. Insurance for teenagers has sky-rocketted. Might not be a popular idea, but I think it makes sense to raise the minimum driving age to 18. With the current system it's just too tempting to not buy insurance, especially when you watch road wars and see typical fines for being uninsured are around £500. The 50cc brigade might not attract a lot of nods from bikers, but a 17 year old graduating to a 125cc will have massively improved roadsense than a 17 year old who has 20hrs behind a wheel then passes their test. The potential for causing damage and injury to others will also be less for the 125cc than car.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices