Skip to content

Discuss This Bike vs car: cost comparison First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Bike vs car: cost comparison

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dan Aspel  says:

Bike vs car: cost comparison

Getting on a moped or bike costs half as much as driving a car, and we’ve got the figures to prove it. Our research below shows that a 17-year-old driving a car will have spent around £2640 to get on the road, while a 16-year-old riding a moped will have spent just £1288. A saving of over 52%. If you’re 16+...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 January 2011 15:13)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JacquesWood

Nov 10

JacquesWood says:

@mitchyman

@Mitchyman I was a named driver on my Dads' policy with my Dad as the owner and policy holder, and I had my mum on the policy, putting my mum on actually reduced it by £20! claimed my yearly mileage was below 5,000. After one year I put the car in my name and had my own policy, that actually kept it at £1400, but I could then earn a no claims bonus. My IAM training was invaluable, but it really doesn't do anything for reducing your insurance. But it could well be the area I live in too (col-de-sac in Surrey). it's nearly £1100 if I insure it at my University address in Coventry. But I defiantly recommend putting a mother or experienced female on, certainly helped me.

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

let down by jesus.........

i  used  to  have " mother  teresa"  on  my  insurance,      christ  what  a  discount  i  enjoyed.....       then  she  went  and  died,          bennets   said  they  wont   accept   "saint   teresa",         anyway   ive  just  bought  a   "triumph   saint"   so  i  am   hoping   for  a  discount !..........................amen...

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Pulling power

I think the fact that you can shag in a car is priceless (for a 17yr old anyway)...

Reply to this Topic
Spreaders88

Jan 11

Spreaders88 says:

thank god!!

all i can say is i'm glad cars are too expensive for young people these days because if they weren't i may have never started riding a bike 5 years ago and would have missed out on the joy, exhilaration and occasional soiled undercrackers that road and track riding bestows.

Reply to this Topic
SOR94

Jan 11

SOR94 says:

Silly Money

Wow I don't know where you got your insurance from but the cheapest quote I could get on a £600 1-litre was just over £3000!!!! I don't know if anyone saw the recent top gear (I wouldn't blame you for not watching it, It's all fixed and scripted) but instead of Ariel Atom vs. BMW S1000RR it should have been called "£13,000 vs. £140,000"

Reply to this Topic
tomlloydy

Mar 09

tomlloydy says:

You forgot Fuel!

Assuming the CG does 90mpg and the ford does 35mpg Over 10,000miles the CG will use 111.11 imperial gallons or 505.11 litres The Ford will use 285.71 gallons or 1298.86 litres At £1.28 per litre this will cost; CG:£646.54 Ford:£1662.54 Bring the total cost to; CG:£2072.54 Ford:£4302.5 Get a bike for the low costs, and keep it for the joy of riding it!

Reply to this Topic
tomlloydy

Mar 09

tomlloydy says:

eatcs01

You can do it on a bike, its better but requires more skill :P

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Even with a full license

you don't necessarily need lessons! I did my CBT, the Theory, Mod 1, and Mod 2 with not a single lesson. Technically i did fail my Mod 1 first time, but thats because my Yamaha SR125 couldn't pull my fat arse up to 50kph... It managed 49 though.

Still, cheap as hell!

And those insurance quotes are seriously generous. My quote on a 1993 Nissan Micra, 1.0l, was over £2200 - TPO! And thats the cheapest car/insurance i could find. Hence doing my bike test! And have never looked back. Got an SR125 for a few months, passed, got a GPZ 500s for 7-8 months until some idiot SMIDSEY'd me... Now i have a 2002 Bandit 1200 S. Absolutely EPIC!

Reply to this Topic
cjohnsonuk

Jan 11

cjohnsonuk says:

Parking...

For those working in the country's cities you forgot to factor in the cost of parking (£12 per day round here IIRC) and the additional time lost because of increased commute time in a car. Remember it might take only 5 minutes longer to do the journey in a car on a good day but I've sat in queues for 30 minutes on the same route. If it takes 10-15 minutes to find a parking space as well... Just did a quick guestimate : 48 weeks work, 5 days per week, £10 per day = £2400 in parking

Reply to this Topic
cjohnsonuk

Jan 11

cjohnsonuk says:

Australian insurance, anyone?

Just a quick note about insurance from a Aussie I once met... In Australia third party insurance is paid for out of your taxes. There are, therefore, NO UNINSURED drivers. The cost of managing/tracking/chasing uninsured drivers would go some way to covering the cost of this. The rest could be recovered through taxes. Would it cost more? Probably not as the insurance companies wouldn't have you over a barrel. Too expensive to insure? Then don't and just have the 3rd party. Insurance company costs would be lower (no uninsured losses to chase) so the cost of fully comp would be cheaper and a realistic reflection of the real risk, not one distorted by covering their losses due to uninsured drivers. And everyone gets the comfort of knowing that if some T*&T knocks them off then there will be no uninsured insurance nightmare to fight through. There might be disadvantages to this but I can't see any (at least not from my point of view)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices