Skip to content

Discuss This Frank Thomas in administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Frank Thomas in administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Frank Thomas in administration

The company which owns Frank Thomas, Motrax, BKS and Red Route – Thomas Sports Group – has today been put into administration. The news came as Ernst and Young confirmed today they had been appointed as administrator.   As we get more information, we'll update you. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 January 2011 17:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Gloves

I bought a set of frank thomas gloves in the autumn, and couldnt be happier with them, the quality seems great but time will tell if that continues. They arn't the thickest of gloves in the world, but theyve kept my hands warm up to a point where only heated grips can save you :)

That said, i doubt i'll miss the company if it goes under, except for the cheap price of their gear.

Reply to this Topic
GixxerFixxer

Jul 10

GixxerFixxer says:

eatcs01:

That's a bit of an unfounded accusation. I've got a pair of Alpinestars gloves for summer and FT for winter and there is a massive quality difference. The seams don't pull on the Alpinestars gloves, for a start. I've owned them for six years now and they're almost as good as the day I brought them. FT gloves made it 8 months of everyday usage before the inner linings detached themselves.

Incidentally, the same goes for the Alpinestars jacket, boots and legs I've got too. You get what you pay for.

As for this administration buisness, no big deal. There's plenty of other manufacturers willing to take the turf.

Reply to this Topic
deanwhite99

Jun 08

deanwhite99 says:

Alpinestars

If you've ever worn alpinestars you'll know right away why it costs more. It is what it is and it's just better. Things like Frank Thomas and Akito have their place but they are cheap for a reason. Akito in particular, I had a pair of gloves years ago and they were so bad it wasn't true. It's a shame if Frank Thomas were to go under, but let's not pretend their quality is anything like an Alpinestars or a Dainese. Nothing to do with fashion I'm afraid.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Any one baught the Cowtree business ?

Thts been up for sale for a while .I had a set of their leathers for 10 years and what a fantastic bit  of quality and fit .i rang then last year and had a chat , they were up for sale cos the owner wanted retirement but couldnt get a good price for the business so he was ticking on . Now thats gotta be worth a look and as long as the quality is kept up I cannot see that manufactorer going under .

Reply to this Topic
mcrmike

Feb 06

mcrmike says:

speak as found

I can only speak as I have found. Bought a pair of FT boots which wern't cheap and the linings fell apart in 6 months! wouldn't touch FT stuff ever again, I can only assume others found the same and thats why theyve gone to the wall?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

priced accordingly

The recession is well and truely still with us as another company goes to the wall.

In defence of Frank Thomas gear, I've got a Barnstormer jacket which I bought, probably about 25 years ago, and I'm still wearing it. It's lasted pretty well considering its age and is still warm enough for Spring and Autumn. I even wear it when I'm out on foot as it's really snug.OK the zips are knackered and the pocket linings are all ripped but 25 years on, I can't complain. I've had good use out of it. Got some winter trousers too which have never leaked and are fine and some goretex gloves equally fit for purpose. 

Put it this way, I had a Belstaff wax cotton jacket and that really was crap. Always cold, slimy and uncomfortable.

Reply to this Topic
MaximumNormality

Jan 11

FT purchase back up

On another note, someone else told me today that if you buy any current Thomas Group stock from dealers and it becomes faulty the administrators won't honour the returns agreement as they are not responsible as it was sold to dealers before they took over.

Any truth in this? 

Reply to this Topic
mike27

Aug 02

mike27 says:

BKS

Hope they get out of this in a viable form.  Assume that FT bought them out and therefore BKS are wrapped up in this. 

I bought a BKS suit 10 years ago (proper one, not the FT "BKS" branded sh1te) and it was a fantastic bit ok kit.

Great British company that deserves to survive!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

boy wonder

at last somebody with an ounce of humility in these times of Dog eat Dog .

Reply to this Topic
hondastar101

Mar 09

hondastar101 says:

Frank Thomas in administration

I'd like to reiterate the thoughts of Bhoywonder. Too all of you gloating about those who may potentially loose their jobs (quotes of 70 people), I really hope the same happens to you so we can all be smug and clever like you. The best part for me is that you snide f**** all do it here anonymously! Well done!

And just to point out, the company is in a process of administration. They have not yet gone and could pull through, be sold as a going concern or indeed broken up. At this moment in time no one knows what will happen. Know this however, I hope they pull through and all of those 70 people collectively give you horrible c**** the FINGER!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices