Skip to content

Discuss This MCN video guide: How to back it in First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > MCN video guide: How to back it in

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

MCN video guide: How to back it in

Backing a motorcycle in is probably one of the hardest things to do on a motorcycle, yet racers do it all the time. So just how is it done? In this latest MCN video guide, senior road tester Michael Neeves talks you through his method to backing it in. Our onboard cameras give you a new look at how it's done, as Neeves...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (31 January 2011 18:10)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
linf1200

Aug 02

linf1200 says:

It's all ok if someone else is paying for the bike and tyres and you have access to an airfield lol.OK i know this is just a bit of fun but," when i were a lad",this was called doing a back wheel skid.

Reply to this Topic
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

But is it faster?

I can do this with my KTM Ducke 690 but not with my BMW.  It usually feels a lot faster if I brake in a straight line and then wind the throttle on after I get the bike set in a turn.  It feels a lot more precise too.  Does this technique really result in faster lap times?  I suppose it doesn't matter to me as I pay for my own tires, chains, sprockets, brakes, clutches, etc.  I'm not interested in seeing how much noise I can make.  I like to get down the road quickly and efficiently, without a lot of cop attracting nonsense.  I suppose you can tell, I am an old gent.

Reply to this Topic
riler

Apr 09

riler says:

Nice one

Thank you Mr Neeves; I appreciate your pragmatic, un-gobshite advice. Not that i'll ever do these stunts but I appreciate being able to relate my experiences of riding a bike to what is possible.

Reply to this Topic
theglovenor

Jul 10

theglovenor says:

How about how to back it out of your garage when its raining or cold?

Most people would find this kind of advice much more useful - and i am talking to you sports bike owners!!!

(confession - my cbr600rr is indeed hibernating)

(gloat - my Tenere is most certainly not!)

Reply to this Topic
tomahawk

Oct 08

tomahawk says:

BACKING IT OFF

It must be safe and easy to do as the video is pre empted by an insurance advert .   Come on MCN it looked and sounded awfull.   Leave this to the KTM LC4 supermoto boys.       

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Needs translation for its target audience

Dis be how to do a bangin slide on dat bike you blagged coz it is well wicked innit.

Anyone who *needs* to know this can learn it first hand at the track.

Reply to this Topic
jcbenbow

Sep 05

jcbenbow says:

Shit!!

What a load of shit!!

Reply to this Topic
GazLat

Aug 10

GazLat says:

Back to the Drawing Board

Ignore all that advice, just go out and buy a KTM Duke and do it properly Supermoto style!

Reply to this Topic
VitorR

Jan 09

VitorR says:

Well explained but poorly performed heheh

Honestly I think the technique was very well explained, and no one can say there were no hazard warnings (which should be taken seriously). I have to confess that I would only try this on a second hand cheap dirt bike (it's a no-brainer to try this on any bike that's not cheap) and with complete protection equipment , especially proper MX boots. I already broke an ankle and had two subsequent surgeries (plate in, plate out) over the course of one year which came with the bonus of around 3 and a half months of using crutches) while trying to make this "cool" stunt Now it wouldn't be bad for the video if there was a supermoto rider demonstrating the technique a little more spectacularly. Overall, good video IMO :)

Reply to this Topic
VitorR

Jan 09

VitorR says:

comparing to professional race riders

"poorly performed" comparing to professional race riders but still awesome for a moto-journalist that is...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices