Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow satisfied with 16th in Sepang MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow satisfied with 16th in Sepang

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow satisfied with 16th in Sepang

Cal Crutchlow made a steady rather than spectacular start to the 2011 winter testing campaign in Malaysia earlier today, the British rider ending the opening day with the 16th best time.Today's test gave the former World Supersport champion his first opportunity to gauge strength in the left shoulder he only had major surgery on seven weeks ago.Crutchlow suffered the same...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 February 2011 14:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

Is he really happy? i wouldn't be, why can't one of the brits just get straight on it into top ten? spies did, i just don't get it every brit who goes to motogp just looks out of there depth, and yet i look at the talent in this country and could list at least 7-8 english/irish lads who i think are good enough, im at a lost......

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Easy boy...

Cal, if you read this site (which I doubt, especially during a test week) don't let anyone pressure you into doing any more than you can safely do.

It takes a long time to recover from a sholder injury and a high side won;t do you a bit of good bro.

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

hey eddl - shut up

You know why he's happy? Because it's the first day of testing in his rookie year on a track he's never been to while he's just come off surgery and didn't toss himself down the road nor use his injury as an excuse. Let him find his way. Did Cal go out and win 11 poles and 14 races in WSBK like Spies? Does Cal have the previous MotoGP race experience finishing in the top 10? Than why would you expect Cal to be in the top 10 straight off the bat like Spies? It's people like you who dumps loads of pressure on guys when they aren't in a position to light the world on fire. Damn, at least give him until the 2nd test. Jeez.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

@RawDawg

Agree 100%.

Reading the interview with Cal on motogp.com, he seems to have had it in mind that Sepang was always going to be an acclimatisation event, while allowing further healing to the shoulder. As you say, with so little experience you're not going to run before you can walk. 

The only nagging doubt for me is this business of finding no extra speed from new tyres. That signals an adaptation problem that he's going to have deal with pretty quickly if he's to make progress with things like setup.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
airbornetrooper

Jan 10

eddl

OK...while you're at it... name em!  Also Cal is riding still injured, no excuse just good reasons for his first ride in three months.  Agree totally with the Dawwwwwg.  Some of you guys really should get behind your riders.

All the best for the season Cal I'm sure you'll give it your best shot.

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

@EDDL

the fact is mate if you think you could name riders in the uk who "in your opinion" could cut it in MGP, why are they not up there doing it??? probly because your opinion is wrong and you wouldn't know talent if if she was stripping her clothes off in front of you!!!  Cal wouldn't have multi million pound sponsers like monster thrusting him onto the world stage if they thought he was going to fizzle out like a wet fart!!

ive known Cal and his Dad since i was about 13, and from that age he and his dad have had this mapped out, and so far as i see it, all is going perfectly to plan! 

Keep it up Cal, finishes on and around the top 10 all season and i'd be a very happy fan!!

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Eddl Comments on Cal

I agree with you, notwithstanding the circumstances, he should not be happy with 16th, we are expecting better. I for one was somewhat concerned that Cal was not ready for Moto GP, he hardly shone over brightly in WSBK last year. Carl Fogarty at Donnington in 1990 (Taking over Chilli's ride) would he have been happy with 16th in qualifying. No is the answer (and this was a time of some BIG BIG Names in GP). Plus his other Wild Car Rides he wanted to be up there. Same for Mackenzie, Sheene etc. I know it is early days but unless something happens (i.e not being happy with 16th) we are going to have a Chris Walker, JT or Neil H situation again at the top level. Say what you like about Fogarty and Mackenzie, given a good day they could have won and the British Crowd knew that.

Reply to this Topic
adrenalin

Jun 09

adrenalin says:

Say what you like about Fogarty and Mackenzie, given a good day they could have won and the British Crowd knew that.

But of course they never did, so it is a ridiculous analogy to make. McKenzie even had factory bikes so had no excuses but still never won. Rose tinted glasses my friend ;) Fogerty never got close to winning a GP or a factory ride. His 4th atDonington only happened because the leaders fell off!

Crutchlow is undoubtedly the best of the bunch as far as British riders go (at least until Scott Redding moves up to MotoGP) and his the best chance of any in the MotoGP class.  It could be argued that Leon Haslam and Johnny Rea also deserve a shot, but until they do you can't say how they will gel with the bike/tyres etc. 

Until we Brits embrace Moto2 and get more young riders into GP classes early instead of concentrating on production bike racing, it will always be very difficult to make the move into GP racing.  The guys coming up from 125GP and Moto2 are probably our best hope for the future.

Reply to this Topic
ifbutsandmaybes

Feb 11

He’s about in the right place for his first attempt and given the shoulder not a disastrous start. If I remember correctly Toseland had a better start but without the hindrance of the shoulder. Unless you have experienced racing for yourself and tried to go from one level to another please don’t heap criticism and undue pressure on British riders who are trying their best. Club racing to National level is a huge leap, I can’t imagine average WSB rider to Motogp. Not sure about being the best of the British bunch.

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Adrenalin

Mackenzie had a factory back (albeit he was always a number 2 rider) and furthermore was alwys on B Type Tyres (A's reserved for the so called Elite). The British including me, still thought he could win. He qualified on Pole for Suzuka 87 (His first ride on a Factory Honda). Can you see CC even qualifying in the top 10 for Qatar. I Hope I am wrong.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle