Skip to content

Discuss This Sepang MotoGP test: Simoncelli ends test on top MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Sepang MotoGP test: Simoncelli ends test on top

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Sepang MotoGP test: Simoncelli ends test on top

San Carlo Honda Gresini rider Marco Simoncelli has surprisingly ended the three-day Sepang MotoGP test on top. The Italian has been on top form throughout the test, finishing in the top five on the previous two days. Honda again dominated the test, with five out of the top seven riders on Honda machinery. Casey Stoner, who finished day one on top posted the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (03 February 2011 17:30)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Antonio Carlos "A.C." Farias ??

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Photo Fake? Bollocks!!!

If that was a photo of Stoner AKA Valencia last year all the Stoner fans would be shouting look he doesn't use traction control, isn't he amazing, Stoners throttle control on a Duke the vicious killer, ONLY Stoner can ride like this........ PLEASE!!! Saying Stoner uses virtually no TC compared to the others is like saying a Boeing 737 has no wings compared to a Boeing 757. All these guys are supremely talented, one quick lap doesn't matter, race times matter. Stoner could do a great lap last year but had no idea of race pace at several circuits because "he" binned it; NOT his forks. The guy did no mileage, maybe the Duke engines had no life in them so he had to do minimal mileage? And for Elbowz a copy and paste from Spies crash thread -Oh dear ? Spies didn't finish the test in the top 5 let alone top 3??? What happened? His season is ruined since he hasn't turned blue, shrunk 24 inches, and developed enormous eyeballs to become the 5th Alien. Poor Ben been shown up by Dovi and Marco..... :( Might as well hang up his leathers. If Simoncelli and Aoyama get the gyros/ecu's/black box's figured out they could be seriously dangerous. They have no respect (when it comes to progression) for names, records, or sponsors. Both supremely talented riders at any given opportunity I expect them to put some seriously good results on the table somewhere this season. I think Spies is such a cool dude, nice character, and no BS, straight talking man, but on this forum Elbowz is really starting to put me off by blowing so much smoke up his ass. Ben is both a hard task master yet humble man. I still say like all the others he may or may not crack it. If he doesn't you can be damn sure he will stand up and say he was glad he took part but the other guys were just "x" amount better. BTW..... all the factories can make stupidly powerful / fast motorbikes. The competition is to have a rider who can use the tool given to him, make big HP within the reliability requirements, and put the HP to the ground (ie: electronics). Next test let's have a little bit less of the silly BS and please MCN sort us out some sector times equaling "best possible" laps by rider.

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

the wingless boeing

it's a fact that Stoner used less electronic intervention in his race set up while at Ducati however does it mean that the various boeing models are wingless??? or does it mean he is the greatest rider of the last 4 years - defintely not, and I personally do not think any Stoner fan is saying that - What I am saying he is a little more talented then he is given credit for and the fact his wins are credited to Ducati's superior electronics package, it being a bullet, and/or the best bike in the field are a load of bollocks which is more like your wingless boeing! I thought I would post this translation of what Stoner, Capirossi and Valentino's thoughts were after day 1 – thoughts on the ducati from www.moto.it

Casey Stoner
I was used to having to make heaps of changes, while now with the Honda I have to only touch a few things. Riding a Ducati is another thing totally and different from anything else: to enter into a corner/ curve I always had to force it because the motorbike didn’t want to turn. Here in the first laps with the RC212V I was so aggressive in the change of direction that at the first and second corner I almost was wearing the motorbike as a hat. Here it is a lot smoother. Last year when I was following the Hondas and Yamahas I was asking myself how are they able to take those lines, now I understand. With the Ducati you have to be aggressive, brake late and take risks.

Loris Capirossi
At this moment – reveals Loris – the motorbike is not easy at all: there isn’t a standard base or set up and each rider is inventing something, following their own paths. I started with the set up we had at Valencia, then we made changes to the set up even some that were pretty radical, without getting any great benefits: I am struggling to brake and to turn in the last section of the corner. It is a motorbike with a huge potential, but we still haven’t found the right balance: Now I understand why Stoner, at times, would go straight

And finally, the calmest seems to be Valentino
Capirossi is right when he says that it is missing a good base set up. However I found the bike much improved than Valencia: there has been modifications to improve the front end feeling and the acceleration efficiency. In the first tests it would mono a lot and I was unable to give it gas, whereas now we have improved it a lot. In the afternoon we made a further improvement AND NOW I AM HAPPY WITH THE GP11. This is a motorbike that is different to the Japanese bikes, with it’s advantages and disadvantages: this is very rigid and stable, however in the rear it behaves like a different motorbike. In my opinion we do not have to change much: we need to take advantage of the positive aspects and improve the negatives. The DNA of a Ducati is such and will remain as such. Then it is about modifying it to suit my style of riding but also me adapting my style to the bike because you need to ride her differently, however we can do it.

Don't heare anyone talking about superior electronics or just being a bullet. I hear them say it is a very different bike and quite unique and also confirms that Stoner did a pretty reasonable job while riding the Ducati....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Minty Fresh

Mar 08

Minty Fresh says:

I can't wait...

to have a little chuckle at all the people that have been writing Rossi off yet again.... From what i have seen and read Vale seems to have the measure of the bike but struggling with some strength issues... Once he has 100% strength back then i truly think he will be unstoppable!!! I think he will be totally fit for the first race and prove so many doubters wrong AGAIN by the end of the championship!!!

There are so many of them that are bang on the pace and i cant wait to see the battle commense!! Really happy for Simo and i really hope he carries this through to the season... I hope he is up there fighting for the championship as i would like to see him take it (if Rossi doesn't)

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Thanks Maazzz1

Yes it does seem like Rossi is getting to grips with the GP11. From the 'shock' - his word - of Valencia to starting to understand the machine now is good. I particularly like his comment about it being more like a GP500 machine. Surely this is what Rossi has always wanted. I've read of him waxing lyrical and misty eyed about the 500's before. Is he up for the challenge? Certainly sounds so as he's swung from pessimist to optimist over the three day test.  That said though, this is but one track and he himself is still searching for a good base setting. Week in and week out with limited practice time at a GP might be a different story. Swallows and summers and all that again.

Minty your knickers are getting prematurely moist. Rossi's days of dominance are over. Like Tiger Woods the others have simply caught up to him. Talent wise the top four are all competing on a level playing field, and obviously there are a few others nipping at their heels. The season is starting to look even better that expected.

Oh Jamie. Bradman (who to your credit you did mention in that sea of dross) stands head and shoulders over any other sportsman in my books. He was 50% better than the next best player in history, or almost twice as good as the current 'greats' of Cricket. Tendulkar, Ponting, Kallis, Sewag et al. That is unprecedented dominance. Despite being an Aussie Bradman was a humble and gracious man too. Unlike that despicable Douglas Jardine of England.

Reply to this Topic
tockie

Aug 10

tockie says:

UH.! Cricket.?

Reply to this Topic
Minty Fresh

Mar 08

Minty Fresh says:

Says

We shall see....

Can we please not talk about Cricket?? Just the mention of the sport put's me into a boredom enduced coma!!

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Simoncelli interview

Minty I agree, I don't think they will have too many problems getting the right balance to get the best out of the Ducati making for a great season - fingers crossed. However, before the move across to Ducati I am sure they expected something that would be a bit easier and a little more forgiving to ride. But in good Rossi, JB fashion (and the rest of the team) they have put their heads down and worked pretty damn hard to try and sort it out and given Rossi's post testing interviews it seems he is pretty pleased with his progress fitness wise and also where the bike is at - 52 laps on day 3 is a pretty fine effort. It would be great to see Simoncelli do well, the guy is great value and here is his post testing interview...

Sepang – His testing closed at 15.45, after completing a 20 lap race simulation while the others continued to ride till 18, Marco enjoyed a well-earned break

I am really happy – adding – In the Valencia tests last November I understood that the new motorbike had great potential, I could really feel it, but I was waiting to confirm it at this track, which is not one of my favourite tracks. However it went really well: yesterday I was consistent, I did a good lap this morning, “from qualifying”, then in the afternoon I did a race simulation and I finished a lot better then in October, I was consistent: I am happy 360°. The team is almost all new, because there has been new staff recruited compared to 2010 and we had to get to know each other as well: It all went extremely well.
What improved more compared to last year?
Everything! The motorbike, the team, our experience. For sure this result privides us with a great injection of confidence and makes me understand that this year I will be there abouts as well, however it is only the first test in a long championship. We need to keep working this way, improving where possible and be in good shape for the first race.
What is the mistake that you must absolutely avoid?
To think that you are in shape like now, because it is tough and here all the riders are strong/fast: all it takes is a mistake and you find yourself going from first back to eighth. Therefore you have to remain concentrated, continue to work hard and understand that at the end that we haven’t …Bleep (swear word). There are plenty of strong riders and like me, Spies, Aoyoma, Bautista were relatively good last season, now we have a bit more experience and it is showing. It will be hard, but it will be good fun and we will see some great battles
In winter, however, often all the riders are quick; which of those do you think will continue to be fast even in the Gp’s?
I do not know, it is important that I continue to go hard/fast and if the others go slower then I will be very happy.

Reply to this Topic
therightstuff

Feb 09

well done Simo

Anyone know what is happening with Suzuki - I like to cheer on the underdog, and a few years ago they were doing well but have gone backworks like a 990.  Have they even got a rider yet, the test just said they had a test rider.  The series is better for having Suzuki and Kawasaki, hope they both get back to having 2 riders

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

MORE OF THE SAME

Cast your mind back to the last 4 or 5 races last season and Marco was hounding the Aliens.It looks as if HRC has chucked some exotic goodies ath his new machine. I for one expect to see him running at the pointy end on a regular basis this season. Ciao

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle