Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow shortens steep learning curve MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow shortens steep learning curve

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow shortens steep learning curve

Cal Crutchlow is confident he is making big progress with learning how to master Yamaha's YZR-M1 machine after he ended only his second MotoGP test with the 17th quickest time.The British rider, who crashed heavily on the second day, clocked a best time of 2.02.717 to finish just under two seconds away from Marco Simoncelli at the head of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 February 2011 10:56)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ifbutsandmaybes

Feb 11

Fact is; he’s a racer and racers hate being that far down the time sheet and over a second of your team mate. He now has a huge dilemma and will require strong support from the team. He is used to moving class and being on the pace quickly, he has achieved this throughout his short career and therein lies the rub. I only hope he is encouraged and given time to develop rather than push above his capability and incur injuries. The next 3 months will test his maturity and team support, a shit or bust approach is not an option unless he wants a 1 year shot at Motogp.
It’s an open forum, if people want to slag him off so be it and if they can’t spell so waht!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

just remember

that at time last year and for all of the preseason last year, Simoncelli and Aoyama spent their time swapping last place in the tests - and look at them now. So it's still early. But the "hecklers" have a fair point as well. JT was doing better at this point and he did finish his first season in 11th. And 11th for Cal will not come easy.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Way too early..

to draw any conclusions. 

As RawDawg points out, Simoncelli was a whole 1.5 seconds slower than Crutchlow this time last year. A lot can happen in a season. 

Besides which, this was really an acclimatisation event to give the shoulder a workout and get used to the Bridgestones. They didn't even touch the settings on the bike until day 3 - he was just given the thing and told to stick in as many laps to get used to it. And plenty of those on hard tyres. 

And seeing as we're bringing JT into this, lets remind ourselves how he coped at Sepang on Bridgestones for the first time: Dog last and 1.2 seconds slower than Crutchlow. So as far as riding on Bridgestones, actually he didn't do as well. 

If Cal still can't lose his superbike habits once into the season, then it's time to worry. Until then, there's nothing yet to suggest he can't make the adaptation.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Elephants...

its Malaysia - he's eating an elephant!

Sure its easy to critic a rider from the armchair or safety of the sofa, fuck I can beat his times on the PS2 and thats like 3 years old... The detractors and critics will always compare eggs with bananas while the 'intelligenzia' will compare this years shoots with lasts years crop.

I will quote Nostro here with 'one swallow doesnt make a summer' - and add by saying one turkey doesnt make christmas... plenty of time left yet ladies in what will be a golden season for MotoGP.

"and god bless us, everyone..." (tiny tim)

Reply to this Topic
eddl

Dec 10

eddl says:

Your only judged by the company you keep and cal's looking out of his depth in this company, and i could get round quicker than elias and caprix on my raleigh grifter

Reply to this Topic
mattleon

Feb 09

mattleon says:

Hahaha

...Some of u boys crack me up. I suppose if you want to slag the man off for being within 2 seconds of the front runners in his first ever test, on a new bike, on new tires, on a track that he has never ridden before, with a bit of an injury still - then go for it, and hey u may be right... Maybe he will turn out to be rubbish, but hey, give the geezer a chance! I won't deny I think he's been pretty lucky to get this opportunity given the fact that he's not really done THAT much to deserve it some could say.. But the boy is talented, no doubt about it. The way he took the last turn at Silverstone last year on the R1 was something else to watch, and he really knows how to stick his balls on the tank and 'ave it, so I think - and hope - he will come good. He wasn't the greatest last year, but when he was on it, he was on it, and at some tracks would better Spies's best laps from 09 so he knows what he's doing. Just be grateful for having a Brit in the class if u ask me. And a likeable, brave and exciting one to watch at that. Go on Cal, get stuck in and let's see how you go......

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

eddl

Does your Grifter hit slip between 2nd & 3rd causing knee to handlebar interfacing like mine does?

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

3 o's in look?

Or stressing the word? Italics would've done that Mr Lee Jones and you can't spell a right click wrong. I love it when pontification goes tits up.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

mattleon

Took the words right out of my mouth, and probably said it better than I could. And RawDawg the point about Simoncelli also. With the lack of testing these days it will take him half a season before we even begin to see the true Cal.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Realism confused with anti patriotism again

Right now today I see Scott Redding and Gino Rea as the fastest, most likely boys in the camp that invented motorcyle racing. All the rest are very good indeed but very good indeed is not good enough at Blue Riband level

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices