Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Tents for touring

Hi,

I am looking for a new tent for a bike trip up to Scotland this summer, I don't have a massive budget for it but appreciate the notion of spending more generally gets you better quality.
I would be looking at a 2 man tent more than a 1 man I think to give some extra space.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (08 February 2011 14:50)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Tents

If you're camping on your own, you will NEED at least a 2 man tent. I used a 3 man tent, until I bought my 4 man. The space it takes up when packed up, is no different to a 2 man. You then have plenty of room to stash your riding gear in.

Visit your local camping shop. Explain that you want to see it packed up as well as erected (ooer missus). Consider how you are going to carry it. In a top box?? Take the top box with you to see if it'll fit.
Get a tent with a flysheet. 2 layers are MUCH warmer and drier than 1.

Practice erecting it BEFORE you go on your trip.
Don't forget the mosquito repellent.

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

If you have

one of these near you, have a look in, they usually have a large range of camping gear from small one man up to large 8 man or more.

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Cheers for the advice guys!

I don't have the luxury of a top box for this trip, I am still deciding on what luggage to take, ie throw over paniers, large capacity roll bag as well as a tank bag and rucksack.
Will go and have a look around the outdoor shops soon see what they have to offer!

Thanks again

Dave

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Golite tents

I've been looking for the perfect touring tent for years, still looking! The best I've found so far is the Go-lite Hex3 (may have a new name now, check their website). Basically a lightweight tipi style tent that has a single pole. You can get a full inner tent (a must in Scotland to keep midgies at bay) or just a waterproof floor. I hate putting tents up after a long days ride but this is a piece of proverbial- less than five minutes to put up, quicker to take down. Also seriously storm/windproof, loads of room for gear and if there are trees nearby you can suspend it from a branch giving even more room. I abused mine seriously for five years before it gaqve up (this is very good for any tent I own). Downside is cost-£180 for tent + more for inner but is a quality piece of kit.

I've been very disappointed recently looking at lightweight tents that require you to buy an additional "footprint" before putting tent up, to my mind if the fabric is that flimsy the tent is not up to the job.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

If you are on an extremely low budget,

try Lidl and Aldi shops offers, keep an eye on their websites, I had two different types from Lidl, don't expect them to last years, but you would probably get by for a while, mine were both a tenner or less and perfectly adequate for summer use. Handy if you can get something that goes up quick, with a bit of space in, usually possible to strap most small tents across the bike on top of throwovers, doesn't need to be as small as hikers tent, but  my lidl ones are, have had old ridge and poles tent on back of bike before now.

oh, and keep eye on halfords too, they may have something suitable nearer summer, and other equipment.

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Tents

I'm looking too. I bought a lightweight 2man (just) very low tent with side entry. It was a limited version from Gelert, very cheap and I've now seen it branded but for a much higher price. So it's very good, modern and weatherproof.but I can't sit up in it.Which makes putting on the leathers when raining difficult. So now I'm  thinking that the very old style 2 poles same height, or single central pole may be best. For summer I'm using a bivi bag and B&B if it's wet, so I'll be able to dry my gear at night. Can you get to Gelert HQ in Portmadoc?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

picked up

a vango 2 man last year from go outdoors was half price in their sale and its lightweight and packs small enough to take easily on the bike, has plenty of room for 1 person touring so its worth checking them out.
Hoping to get up to scotland at the end of May for a couple of nights

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Millets

have a look at millets online they have some £60 tents for half price and free delivery

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the help! There is now so much to choose from, I never realised there was such a good choice for bike touring.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to this Topic
spike123

May 10

spike123 says:

Tents

May be worth taking a look in Asda or Tesco, they both do good deals on tents nearer the summer. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices