Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Tents for touring

Hi,

I am looking for a new tent for a bike trip up to Scotland this summer, I don't have a massive budget for it but appreciate the notion of spending more generally gets you better quality.
I would be looking at a 2 man tent more than a 1 man I think to give some extra space.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (08 February 2011 14:50)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Quality vs Price

There are some real bargains to be had- the Gelert Solo can be picked for £25 and is a well made tent (but I'd replace poles for long term use). The downside is that you will struggle to fit in if you are over 6ft and there is no no room for luggage.

I haven't owned one but a lot of the Vango mid range tents look good value in the £50-100 range.

I've been thinking about the Snugpak Ionosphere as a quality 1 person two skin tent (£125) and the Snugpak Bunker (£200) as a quality dome tent.

I justify the expense in several ways-

1) Cheapest Hotels in Europe are about £30, in rip-off Britain you can be hard pushed to find a B&B for that price. Camp for a few days and the tents paid for itself.

2) I've had to spend a couple of days in a tent before during heavy storms (including two days in Ullapool in June) and it's a lot easier to relax knowing your shelter is still going to be in one piece in the morning. 

I use a bivvy bag inside the tent, put the thermarest and sleeping bag into bivvy so even if tent did leak/flood you will still be dry and warm. Might be a good fallback idea if you go down the festival tent/pop up tent route.

Reply to this Topic
Stromrider1000

Mar 12

Tents for touring

:smileHi Dave

I personally use a 3 man tent as I like a bit of space.

There are good choices out there, and do not need to be expensive. Depending on where you are going and what type of terrain and weather you are aiming for..there are tents from £25 up to £400..but unless you are doing the world trip you wont need one of the expensive ones

I offer lightweight stuff for touring bikers, cos I am one!
Have a look on my site./profile

If I can give you any advice or help I will be pleased to anytime..Enjoy your trip, have fun and of course safe.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

I bought

one of these http://www.leisurequest.net/product.php?productid=22&cat=645&page=1 in 2005. Cost me about £130 at the time. I'm still using it.

Aluminium poles, big fat aliminium pegs, Easy to put up by yourself, the inner tent hangs off the outer tent, so the inner tent stays dry if you're putting it up in the rain.

Reply to this Topic
Dionsutherns

Jul 11

Dionsutherns says:

Tents

Hi can't you just borrow one off of a friend its much cheaper, The best biking tent is one that fits well on the bike weight isn't such an issue unless your gonna put it in a rucksac so no need for an expensive one. I have a Vango 3 man paid 30 quid its done the last four summers good luck

Reply to this Topic
Strom1000

Apr 12

Strom1000 says:

Tents for touring

Have a look at
www.thetentguys.co.uk.
All we do is tents for motorbikers..as we are bikers.
If you want a real adventure tent then you should look at spening £100/150  but a Summer only one for as little as £45. Its the quality of material and a high hydrostatic head ( above 1500 is waterproofed)..but higher the better...some 1 man tents have enough space for limited storage:smile..Hope this helps

I use the Robens Voyager 2...fits well on my VStrom 1000 and enough room for all my stuff...my mate who I ride with prefers a smaller one and uses the Star 1.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
beastsilver

Jan 14

beastsilver says:

Type of tent

Buy a Vango had them for 30 years.

Basic is the beta with fiberglass poles and you can pick up for £50 at the end of the camping season on ebay

The equinox is bomb proof but you could pay up to £250,

Both have large porch areas stand the weather the only real difference is the weight of the fiberglass poles. My son uses the beta I use and equinox. Guarenteed not to be blown off a campsite and fits on the sports bike.

Reply to this Topic
yanky192

Mar 13

yanky192 says:

vango apex 200

Hi , i have the perfect tent for you and a bargain vango apex 200 the rrp is £200 it is reduced to £100 at millets also after you put it in your basket type in code sale 25 and you get 25% off   = £75 its a 2 man 3 season tent but they say good for 1 person with camping gear the tent has alloy poles  , pitches in 5 min and best of all only 1.72 kg and 52x 13 also its a side opening tent so easy to get in and out with panaramic view  and recomended for the duke of edinburgh a couple of vids on you tube  , cheers http://www.millets.co.uk/duke-of-edinburgh    /62014245-vango-apex-200-2-man-tent-green.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices