Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

marcec

Aug 10

marcec says:

tips for nerves

Hi All

i have my mod 2 coming up at the end of feb and i'm more than a bit anxious. my road craft i feel is fine but theres that niggling feeling i'm missing something.

i have watched Mike Waites advanced riding skills dvd and read advanced riding techniques for police riders and have, over the last 6 months employed most of if not all of the advice. i have found my riding to be a hell of a lot smoother but in seriousness any tips anyone could give i would appreciate.

cheers all

marc:wink:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 February 2011 10:06)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

the best tip i can give.. as patronising as it may seem, is to just relax and ride for yourself,, dont be concerned about ur examiner not making it out of the junction after you.. he would rather see u pulling out of a junction confidently and safely than dithering around like a fish....
dont be scared to get the bike up to speed.. and make sure u observe changes in speed limit when entering new roads.. good luck.. and chill out.

Reply to this Topic
mrh3369

Jun 06

mrh3369 says:

Brandy

A large brandy has been known to help settle the nerves:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Wriggler

May 09

Wriggler says:

Learn the test routes

if you haven't already.

Also, as long as you have learned and memorised what you need to know to get you through the test you should be ok.

During the test keep focusing on anticipating your next moves and keep thinking forward.

The real test starts once you're let loose with your license :lol:

Reply to this Topic
ragnar1

Oct 03

ragnar1 says:

Nerves

You can get up to minors on your mod 2 and if don't panic and ride for yourself you'll be ok.

Don't waste time trying to learn test routes, there could be over 20 depending on the test centre and if their take one you may have missed, it will cock your whole ride up.

Good luck on the day.

Reply to this Topic
21castlehill

Jul 09

21castlehill says:

Comment from my examiner

My post Mod 2 washup was congradulations you have passed.  He gave me 1 minor though as he said that when pedestrians were standing by the kerb waiting to cross, I clearly spotted them in good time and gave them a wide berth but I didn't slow down.

Watch out for 20mph zones as well, my examiner took me straight out of the test center and through 3 different 20mph zones within the first 5 mins. 

Don't book a test that clashes with school lunchtimes or closing times as far to stressfull watching out for them and doing a test.

Get upto speed and don't worry about the examiner behind, he will catch you up or ask you too pull over and wait.

Approach your bike with confidence when you go out, the examiner is more likely to think "good I'm out for a ride" rather than "I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one"

Reply to this Topic
marcec

Aug 10

marcec says:

tips for nerves

the best tip i can give.. as patronising as it may seem

i dont think its patronising at all any help i can get i take humbly! cheers all who have replied! :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
theprof

Jan 11

theprof says:

tips for nerves

I think its great that you are studying books etc from good advanced instructors , but and its a big BUT, the DSA will not want to see you extending your position on bends etc. This test is not at that level and their policy is that inexperienced riders should not be using extremes of the lane to get a view.I tell students they can work in the middle third of the lane, and as a guide use the L of SLOW for a right  hand bend and the O for a left. I know its not the best method but it works within DSA constraints. So whilst its  good to get some of the tips , it would be better to use the DSA book at this level.

On the nerves thing , the best way to look at it is, if you think you are good enough to be a fully fledged rider , then ride like one. If it feels right get on with it and if it feels wrong dont do it. Treat the examiner like a SATNAV with an opinion. They want to enjoy the ride not as someone else said watch you wobble round like a novice. So good luck with it.

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Dont get ambitious

Do not filter on a test, anything ambitious and they will beat you down so hard you wont know whether youve failed your test or been run over by a train, leave the real riding for after youve passed.

Some examiners will appreciate a skilled rider, but most will think your over confident and fail you.

I heard a story of an examiner failing an advanced police pursuit driver, because he used a lane with a right turn only arrow on it to filter past a line of traffic stopped at lights, which had a tractor at the front! The examiner's reasoning was that it was a right turn only lane and therefore couldnt be used for getting to the front of the traffic, and if he had stalled he could of caused alot of trouble, the police driver said he would have failed his check test if he hadnt used that lane IN A CAR, obviously the examiner didnt change his mind :P

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
slowdazzle

Feb 11

slowdazzle says:

mod2

i heard a story, covers a multitude of bollocks! if you go straight on from a right turn only lane you could get 6 points, 3 for disobeying a n order sign and 3 for going over the associated red light! you would'nt expect to pass after that would you? i teach people to filter sensibly and have never had anyone fail for it unless they forced another vehicule to stop for them what kind of mug buys a bike and does'nt  filter!

Reply to this Topic
marcec

Aug 10

marcec says:

tips for nerves

Hi All

today i passed mod 2 on a cb500. thanks to all who gave your advice and tips ... much appreciated.

all the best marc.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices