Skip to content

Discuss This Staff bikes: Kawasaki GPz550 - 'I want to throw it in the river' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Staff bikes: Kawasaki GPz550 - 'I want to throw it in the river'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Staff bikes: Kawasaki GPz550 - 'I want to throw it in the river'

Sometimes fixing bikes can be almost as satisfying as riding them. But lately I’ve felt like dumping my £300 ‘bargain’ GPz550 in the river. Which is where much of it appears to have come from. More competent fettlers have completed nut and bolt restorations in the time it’s taken me to get the back brake to work. It began when...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (14 February 2011 10:50)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lifeintheslowlane

Jun 10

No such thing...

....as a cheap classic - you can pay on the way in, or pay as you go along.

Reply to this Topic
jonnyconcrete

Oct 05

even more amazing is the fact you spent that much
on that bike ................

Dont ponder on what you have spent or you will end up riding it off dover cliffs

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I make that £1121 plus the rack

If you don't enjoy fettling, why didn't you spend £1121 on a bike in better condition in the first place?

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

The worst....

.....of it is that when you're finished spending money you'll still have a GPz550 which was never that great a bike in the first place.

Say goodbye to that cash, you'll never see it again......

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

blatant advert

It's just a blatant advert for all the suppliers that are mentioned. Nobody in their right mind would actually spend that amount of money on such a shed. Do they think we're stupid or something? God, times must be hard at MCN HQ...

Reply to this Topic
Darowyn

Mar 05

Darowyn says:

Would the bike work perfectly, and be worth the top price if you threw it in the river?

Thought not!

You should not be thinking of punishing the bike for your mistakes!

And shouldn't you have straightened the subframe before you started throwing money at it?

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

I can't believe you've spent £1200 on that heap of crap,you could have got a half decent mid 90's 'Blade for that,i did,'96 model,one owner from new,30,000mls,a proper bargain.

Reply to this Topic
Georg3

Mar 08

Georg3 says:

Or how about the £1120 I spent for a 1997 Thunderace, 24000 miles, with 7 full service stamps. I'm enjoying this MCN top trumps. Someone! Go better and cheaper!

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

GPz750

A UniTrak 750 might still crack 125, but you'll need nitro to get your old 550 going that fast!

If it was a workhorse 550 you wanted then a GT would have been a far better option.

If you wanted a sporty 550 from that era, the Suzuki GSX550 was the better bike imo.

If you could maybe have negotiated a bit of cash discount, and spent a wee bit more, then this is a proper 80s classic from an apparently reputable dealer.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

GPz

As long as it's MOTable, just get out there and RIDE THE BLOODY THING. Learn it's foibles and inadequacies. Ride to the bikes limits, not your own. Enjoy it bucking and weaving through the bends.

It's NOT a new bike and never will be. Biking never used to ba about fitting new expensive bits. It was about making do and keeping the bike on the road.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices