Skip to content

Ask an Expert Motorcross virgin! Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Motorcross virgin!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Bannerman

Mar 09

Bannerman says:

Motorcross virgin!

Hi folks.

I've just bought myself a 1992 Rm250N. Its my first off road bike and I now realise I know nothing! It seems to run ok, but it looks like a dog, and I was just after some basic maintenance advice. I suspect it hasn't seen a service for a bloody long time. Anyone got any basic stuff I could do to check how knackered it is? Just some guidence on what I should check / replace (filters etc?) would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (14 February 2011 17:10)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

As Jaffa says, the manual

is a very good investment, :smile

other than that a lot depends on 1) how mechanically competent you are, 2) whether it's been used a) for racing and maintained to any level or b) thrashed round fields and tips and then thrown in the shed.
It is a race bike, and needs the same level of maintenance as road race tackle really, but kids get hold of them pretty cheap and then rag them to death.

A big part of the maintenance is to keep the airfilter cleaned and reoiled regularly (take it off, wash with correct solvent/cleaner, dry, reoil, refit) change spark plug reasonably often, handy to have spare one if plug oils or wets up with fuel. Use good quality two stroke oil for race/motocross engines, competiton grade, super unleaded fuel is a bonus, you can add a little bit of octane booster if needed. Keep throttle and clutch cables and kill switch maintained as you don't want to be caught out by 40 odd horsepower on low gearing refusing to be shut off!! brake pads and to a lesser extent discs will wear a bit as will chain and sprockets if you are riding in a lot of wet muck or sand regularly, keep eye on them.
Suspension is generally serviced about ever six months when raced regularly , or if it starts leaking, it does travel a fair distance up and down, maybe as much as the bike travels forward! 
Pistons are replaced at a set number of hours and piston rings prob twice as often (gets more frequent if you don't maintain airfilter/ use crap oil. not much gear oil in there so usually changed every few meetings especially if you slip the clutch a lot. Crankshaft and bearings last all season usually.
You will have a power valve in the exhaust, some years were more durable than others, if this gets worn excessively it may touch the piston, causing damage :upset:
Hope none of this is too alarming!! at least you had the sense to ask! any more questions and I'll try to answer them, also most motocross/off road shops are run by knowledgeable enthusiasts who will answer your queries/try to help if they can, so ring or call into a few, would help to know roughly were you are if you need any recommendations who to go to.
Above all, enjoy, have fun, and give it a go! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Bannerman

Mar 09

Bannerman says:

Services etc

Great advice, thank you to both of you. I’ve order the manual, so hopefully that’ll be with me soon.

I’ve been a road biker for 5 years or so, and thought I knew a bit, but this off road stuff is a bit of an eye opener!

I’d say the bike I’ve bought has not seen a service for a good while, and has just been ragged around fields.

Mechanically I can do a few bits and bobs but nothing too complicated. Valve clearances, oil / filter changes, brake pad renewal / brake bleeding, spoke adjustment – the sort of peripheral easy stuff. i.e. I tend to not touch the actual engine!

The air filter is a good tip. I think I’ll order a new one of those today. Also the sparks. As for forks and such – that might be a bit beyond me for now, but hopefully the manual will help.

A mate has just bought a motocross bike too and our biggest problem is that we don’t really know where to go! Initially we just fancy taking it round a field in a pretty unofficial setting if possible.

We live in Herts / Beds. Any ideas on clubs we could join / places we could go to?

Cheers, and thanks again.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices