Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner steps into Phillip Island date debate MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner steps into Phillip Island date debate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner steps into Phillip Island date debate

Casey Stoner has joined the debate raging about the future of the Australian MotoGP race at the Phillip Island circuit.The 2007 world champion, who has won every MotoGP race on home soil since 2007, has given his thoughts on the current clamour to move the Phillip Island date from 2012 onwards.Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta is insisting that the Phillip Island...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 February 2011 12:09)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

>>>See England

So basically Casey, it could be shite weather all year round however, PI is one of the most spectacular circuits on the Calender and the race needs to remain there.

Anyone remember the Eastern Creek days - always second best. How about PI WSBK 2007(?) when the race was stopped by weather.

Lets face it, Australia is just England but with worse beer ;-p

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

The PI debate.

is never gonna stop its gonna rumble on and on till the organisers put the round early to please the riders.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

Hey Chrisg011

I didn't mind Eastern Creek, for sure not a patch on PI but the first corner @ The Creek was fantastic, i remember Rainey, Schwantz, Chandler going through there on top of each other almost, must have been 1993 .. fabulous.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

im up for it

moving date...IF...it s moved to a date that s better suited to the calender...

there s to much money involved to cancel these events...

i still don t like quatar at night....earlier in the evening would be better...

night racing just seems odd to me..lol

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Qatar

true - but bloody hell does it look good on TV with the bikes lit by the lamps.

Surely thats a good anti-planet perspective, the kids will have nothing but the Duke looks good...

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

lol...

about 'the kids' quote...

yeah i know what ya mean but ....i dunno...

i could nt get my head around it if it was me....night time = sleep to me...lol

i de be all confused...not that it takes much... guff...

anyway back on topic...stoner would be gutted if they moved the race time/date then lost...

it would be irony....or maybe poetic justice.... ;-)

Sorry casey forgot your a working class hero are nt you...lol.....

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Does not matter.

When the PI race takes place for Stoner he is untouchable on that circuit and as Rossi said last year he is in a different sport compared to the rest of the field.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

This is not accurate journalism ...

Matt Birt writes, " Last year's race in October was hit by heavy rain and strong wind ... " - this is simply not true, Matt. You seem to have morphed into some sort of PR bloke for Ezpeleta and Dorna. Friday practice was pretty bad and Saturday wasn't a hell of a lot better - but THE RACE itself on rcae day was fine, albeit with flukey winds as per normal. This criticism of Phillip Island is really starting to give any rational and knowledgable person the absolute shits. Just because Valentino Rossi voiced concern about the weather there does NOT alter the facts or the history of the event and is no cause for Dorna to get the collywobbles and start issuing threats. Almost every circuit on the calendar has been prey to inclement weather at one GP or MotoGP meeting or another - I can easily remember appalling race conditions at Suzuka ( no longer on the calendar - but not for weather reasons ) and numerous other circuits that have never endured the criticism that PI does. Methinks Ezpleta has some other agenda here and this would have almost everything to do with travel costs and sweet FA of much else. We already have 5 x GP's on the Iberian peninsular - and while I appreciate that Spain is now the epicentre of motorcycle racing - it isn't a sufficient reason to justify more wholesale changes. Think about Qatar winning the World Cup hosting rights - really think about it. Have you hit on a reason yet?

Going back some 15 years, I cannot recall ONE occasion when the Australian GP at Phillip Island was weather-affected. There was one time that the 2nd race of the WSBK Round was abandoned due to surface and track flooding in a rider protest led by Australian Troy Corser. Perched at the very edge of the Southern Ocean and the fast-moving weather systems this produces - weather will always be a " risk " at Phillip Island but the stats show this is no more a probblem there than anywhere else. Matt, dig a little deeper and enlighten us as to what is REALLY going on with Ezpleleta and Dorna. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
Halitosis

Jun 10

Halitosis says:

Aquarius is 100% right

The year was 2001 and Corser ( the SuperPole Winner ) parked his Aprilia RSV-Mille across the exit from Pit Lane to stop riders going out. By memory, both Edwards and Bayliss went out on a " recce " and dribbled around and came back to report the track had small rivers running across it in places. Race 2 was therefore cancelled. But for Corser's balls it could have been mayhem to start and riders injured or worse! The date was April 22nd 2001. The point should be made & reinforced that March/April is the Southern Hemisphere early Autumn and the September/October period is late Spring and " almost " Summer. Both periods are fickle, weather-wise. I was always of the understanding that Estoril - very near the sea and Lisbon in Portugal has a worse weather record than Phillip Island does. And yet, do we hear any wailing and gnashing of teeth from Rossi or Dorna about that circuit. It would be wrong to simplify this down into Casey Stoner's opinion as the Winner of the last 4 x AGP's versus Valentino Rossi as also a Winner there before Stoner came along. This is a strictly Dorna issue with Rossi's opinion merely being utilised as a part of their excuse. As Aquarius alludes - FIFA has literally proven itself corrupt in blatantly overlooking both England/UK and Australia in it's own " ratings " systems. Dorna is placing itself into a similar vortex of suspicion here and is also guilty of totally misusing and abrogating the term " homologate " - this is a term used that describes if a " machine " meets a specification or standard for a specific class or type of competition. Don't try and baffle us with bullshit, Carmello - the term you should be using is " accredit " and this starts to get into quite murky legal areas with the FIM etc.

As respected ex-IOM and track racer and motorcycle journalist, Mat Oxley recently asked - " Who the hell are these people and why don't they stop messing with our sport? "

Reply to this Topic
Defiant1

Aug 09

Defiant1 says:

So - what;s really going on ?

According to numerous media releases, the Australian GP at Phillip Island will be held in October right through until 2016 and the Victorian State Government has the first option to extend the contract between them and Dorna until 2026. After repeatedly being voted the Rider's choice as the BEST GP of the year - what is really happening here?

See : http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2010/05/31/motogp-remains-at-phillip-island-until-2016/

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/news/2011/2012-march-motogp-date-firming-23636

It would seem that in Dorna's world - contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on or, if the Australians choose to be difficult, it could cost Dorna a whole heap of money to get it's way.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices