Skip to content

Discuss This No end to Cat & Fiddle speed camera scandal General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > No end to Cat & Fiddle speed camera scandal

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

No end to Cat & Fiddle speed camera scandal

Britain’s first bike-catching average speed cameras are finally close to being switched on – weeks before they face the axe in spending cuts.Speed cameras bosses have at last fixed a cock-up that has delayed the scheme for a year, two months before they face redundancy.The cameras were installed last spring at a cost of £800,000 but have been dormant for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 February 2011 12:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Cameras

There some on the Stockbridge bypass near Sheffield that are the standard forward facing average speed one and a couple of my mate have identical blue Scoobies.  The both put the same plate on and drove through the first and second at the same time and he got a ticket for doing over 900mph.

The case was dismissed

Reply to this Topic
arthurdent

Mar 03

arthurdent says:

[quote]"have been dormant for a year after MCN revealed they could not catch speeders"[/quote]

I gotta say Well done MCN!  Are you part of the speed camera partnership?

Reply to this Topic
arthurdent

Mar 03

arthurdent says:

@GrazzerFazer - LOL Brilliant!

Reply to this Topic
tenko53

Jan 11

tenko53 says:

nothing new here then

Typical idiot council/camera partnershits stupidity and greed just a bunch of twats.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Priorities

I was reading yesterday about 23 RAF pilots losing their jobs due to cutbacks. Then there's the Harriers being scrapped, Nimrods dismantled, aircraft carriers not being built because there's no planes to go on them and nuclear defence programmes being cut. No doubt the Govt will start training the unemployed to defend our country with pitchforks and broom handles or face losing JSA soon.

Still, it's reassuring that despite all these cutbacks in our national defences, we can all rest safely at night knowing speed cameras will stop us killing ourselves on the road.

Reply to this Topic
TT600JCC

Feb 08

TT600JCC says:

Pointless!!

This seems pretty simple to me, avoid the road, No speeding, no money made from them, no point in them.

Reply to this Topic
gnasher328

Jun 06

gnasher328 says:

Point to ponder

Reading the posts by cos69 & magman a thought struck regarding the unreadable plate issue. I think that average speed cams cannot register if they do not recognise a number, hence you are 'invisible'. Unlike fixed point cams which automatically take a piccy regardless of number if the speed is exceded.

LCD plates connected to a random number generator?

Gnasher

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Licence Gamble

SPECS cameras are basically a video monitoring system linked to a computer. The cameras record a video image of every passing vehicle and also have number plate recognition software. So what happens to these images? Obviously if there is no licence plate recognition, it cannot be pursued, even if you were breaking the speed limit. However, this is just software, so it would be easy have a programmed routine to flag up anomalies and store video details of 'rogue' vehicles. Can you be sure that this is NOT carried out? I don't think this information would be officailly obtainable, maybe someone could try a Freedom Of Information request,  to assist them in breaking the law? I think only a fool would test the system minus number plate. The more times that you 'get away with it,'  the deeper the hole you could be digging. I couls see someone trying it once just to put 2 finger up, but the temptation would be to do it again, wouldn't it?

Reply to this Topic
yellow vtr

Aug 02

yellow vtr says:

i agree with  ACEEDSTORM

as you can see here MCN are also telling them what they need to do.

have any one been to see what they have done now as this is still the same as last year.

Reply to this Topic
Richard T

Aug 07

Richard T says:

If you can't enjoy youself within the limit, just avoid the area?

I'd read about the Cat & Fiddle run for years, then when I eventually rode it I was very disappointed. There are plenty of better riding roads in the Peaks, Dales, Moors & Cumbria.Then if you add in Wales and Scotland to - - !

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices