Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies: Pressure is less in factory team MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies: Pressure is less in factory team

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies: Pressure is less in factory team

Ben Spies believes he is under less pressure to perform in MotoGP now he has secured a ride in Yamaha's factory team for 2011.Spies denied there would be greater expectation on him to deliver top results after he was promoted from the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team to partner 2010 world champion Jorge Lorenzo in Yamaha's factory squad.Spies scored two...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (21 February 2011 15:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i sincerely hope he doesn't think he's done the hard part ..... or else he's in for one hell of a shock.  personally i believe he will be under big pressure, unlike the last MotoGP campaigns he's been in.  sorry Ben, i don't buy it.

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

hahah

lol....yeah it'll be easy from now on ben all champagne and caviar...

Cause even if you don't win for a year or two and the moto2 boys are up and coming...yamaha won't bin you...????

Naive is the word that comes to mind....or over confident...i dunno...but in the fickle world of motorsport i de take NOTHING  for granted... 

Reply to this Topic
zxmac10

Dec 08

zxmac10 says:

Who's Ben Spies?

The yamaha moto gp team were great with Rossi and Mr Burgess, fantastic 7 years.  They provided everything - class, quality, humour, a great show and a huge personality.  Now with lorenzo and spies, i'm already bored of them!  Rossi is moto gp at present, he looks amazing on the beautiful Ducati, and i like thousands are so looking forward to watching HIM race this year!  Lorenzo copies Rossi, has no character, and spies acts like and probably thinks he's won a title in gp's already!  i know nothing about him except he's boring, has his head up his arse (like his manager) and  will never win a moto gp title!                                                 

Reply to this Topic
CottonRunt

Oct 10

CottonRunt says:

Pressure is off??!!!

Don't think so boyo, playing mind games with yourself more likely. Fuck it up and you'll be out on your arse.

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

He may make it.

Hard for himself but he can fight his way out of it as you saw when he rode the Tech 3 last year.

Reply to this Topic
texas_rp

Nov 04

texas_rp says:

Pressure is off

Maybe in a way it is for Spies.  Last year he had immense pressure on him to succeed as he flew in from WSB where he turned the championship on it's head.  And he did extremely well in his rookie season - top rookie, most points for a satellite rookie, two podiums, one pole and close to securing 5th in the end.  Plus all the track learning has been done.  This year he has factory machinery and all the knowledge of racing in MotoGp he gained last year.  He has always been quiet and cool when the racing is going to start as that's his method.  I think he will do well this year - he's shown in the last 2 years he grows and learns and goes forward not backwards.  His confidence and speed will be great for the racing and spectacle.

zxmac10 - who Ben Spies?  Catch up fellow.  Either Google him or read the huge amount of articles MCN have written about him. 

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Easy does it...

To zxmac10, and others that are like minded - It's really not necessary, or even good for your blood pressure, to hate your competition.

Cheering your favorite rider is fine, but it shows little class or maturity to down grade and hate your hero's competitors and/or their fans. Eventually it will have a negative affect on your health and well being.

I, like many others, have a favorite rider other than Vale but I agree with you regarding how he looks on the Duc. I, as well as others, am excited he is on the beautiful red machine now and am rooting for him to excel - just not as much as my personal favorite Ben Spies. I don't share your opinion that he IS MotoGP. He is important at the moment but when he is gone, we will miss him but, MotoGP will carry on just fine.

Chill out and enjoy the circus my friends.

Reply to this Topic
FalcoSL

Nov 10

FalcoSL says:

Fair point, Ben

The old adage is that the first rule of racing is beat your team mate. As Colin dusted JT the year before, few were expecting the same thing to happen to Colin the following year. Which is almost exactly what Ben did, first time out.

This year, no-one's expecting Ben to beat JL in any race. If he does, it's a major achievement. So Ben is correct in what he says. The only pressure that he has is not to let the Tech3 guys beat him, which looks all but impossible.

Everyone's expecting the Hondas to come to the front this year and there's a huge 'don't-know, but sneaky suspicion' about Rossi.  JL is champion, whereby anything but No 1 again is a fall from grace for him. So What's expected of Ben? He right, there's no great pressure on him, except what he puts on himself.

Reply to this Topic
Beer&Darts

Apr 08

Beer&Darts says:

It seems unusually bullish of him. He's massively confident right now and to him the very idea of failure seems far-fetched, which in his case in entirely reasonable. But "the pressure is off"? No, Yamaha expect success, and if as it is widely held to be case that Lorenzo is expected to win, Spies will be expected to be the runner-up. The pressure will be off only if and when this happens. And if he isn't being made aware of his company's requirements then he isn't being properly managed - I can't see that being the case. I believe that it's a front and that he's playing mind games - the only question is, who are these comments trying to unsettle? And does this mean that he has the belief to mount a proper challenge, even if it means dumping Lorenzo on his arse?

Reply to this Topic
jmt256

Jul 10

jmt256 says:

Between the lines

I don't think Ben is saying he doesn't have to perform.  That would be stupid and I don't think Ben is stupid.  Think of it this way.  Last year was like an interview for that big job you always wanted while you were in school.  You know you have a dozen others lined up with their resume's polished and they want the job just as much as you do.  The pressure can be enormous to make yourself look like the best person for the job.  Of course once you are hired (a factory ride) you are expected to perform at a high level, but you can relax just a bit knowing that your fate is in your hands now instead of resting on someone elses decision.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle