Skip to content

Discuss This BMW K1600GT first ride: 'One of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling' First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > BMW K1600GT first ride: 'One of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW K1600GT first ride: 'One of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling'

BMW has created a supersports touring bike that adds an extra level of sex appeal to big, fast touring bikes with the K1600GT. The new silky-smooth inline six-cylinder 1600cc engine is one of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling, let alone in touring, and offers new levels of thrust and smoothness not seen before on a bike. To read more of MCN...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 February 2011 10:35)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Lovely but... 17K

I used to love the Honda CBX-A that used to go to the pub near me. Looked and sounded wonderful and this bike sounds incredible too. I'm sure a lot of people will want one but what I'm not sure is how many will be able to justify spending £17K on one. And as to the cost of insurance who knows. Since mine doubled this year who knows how much insurance will be...

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

17K!

it's getting more expensive everytime I think about it!

Reply to this Topic
julienducat

Dec 10

julienducat says:

Future

In 20 years : BMW K3200GT3 : "One of the most intoxicating engines in car-otorcycling"

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

Wish I could afford one for the experience but it is a bit unecessary. The R1200RT line looks a better solution to me. Lighter but still comfortable and well proven. Less to go wrong if you don't have all the electronic extras. I think ABS is a welcome addition to any bike used in the wet but for a tourer traction control and electronic suspension are just luxuries and things to go wrong.

I used to have an ST1100 Pan and that was brilliant as a tourer whilst being a comparitively simple bike. It wasn't fast but it didn't need to be, it was fast enough though. None of the modern dash board, not even Fi but it did the job spot on and I'm sure was a fraction of the running cost that this thing will be after the warranty has expired. Let's face when out of warranty if things start failing on some modern bikes they'll have to be written off!

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

PRICE IS IT JUSTIFIED???

Everytime a new bike appears,you just know you're going to have your heartbroken either by being dissapointed by looks/performance or by not being able to afford to buy or run it !!!:upset:

In this instance its the PRICE and INSURANCE.

Lovely bike,really is, but i agree,pricing for what is this day and age an accessory,a toy or second form of transport to many,its just TOO MUCH,no matter how sophisticated!!:unsure:

Still compared to the GOLDWING,this bike has it beat.......GL1800 prices starting at £23,000 !!!:blink:

WHAT !!!????:shock:

Is that a joke? That's a good deposit for a house,which won't depreciate as much as the bike will,not even in a recession.:shock:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jschoofs

Jun 06

jschoofs says:

A Bavarian eargasm

Actually, it sounds very nice. Brings back memories of the old aircooled Porsche flat 6 engines.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hmmm

Yep,

But like all of the previous comments from beemer owners - doesn't matter how good it sounds, if you own it for 60 months, it'll be off the road at the dealers 'waiting for parts' for at least 30 of those months and it'll depreciate like a Fiat. Or a beemer.. just like a GL1800... one of the most unreliable bikes in the UK.... very, very unreliable.

in my oppinion, the triumph Sprint ST1050 sounds better, especially on the overrun - when it crackles etc... and, it's reliable! Mines now done 130,000 miles and it hasn't gone wrong... it hasn't used any oil (obviously I change the oil at the service intervals..) does 60+ to the gallon - even when I nail it.. and it hasn't ever even blown a bulb.... why buy a beemer? Ha!

Baz

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

If we could afford everything

then there would be nothing to aspire to.  I quite fancy a stable of bikes, a Bugatti Veyron and a Rolls Royce Phantom, kept at my 3000 acre estate, but I can't afford it. I don't gripe about it, but will work my hardest to try and achieve just a small part of the dream.

Historically, when the price of cars came within reach of the working man, the motorcycle started its decline from personal transport to weekend toy. No-one will buy this bike as personal transport. Even if they commute to work by bike, it'll be on the "second" bike.

There will always be a market for the things that we want but can't afford, because there is always someone who can. We can either accept that fact, try and achieve the same, or just get on with our lives. Moaning about it solves nothing.

I quite fancy one of these bikes, but I'm kidding myself if I think that I can justify the outlay, let alone the insurance, but I will be very happy to see and indeed hear one go by.

Reply to this Topic
mike27

Aug 02

mike27 says:

seriously zoobaz...

130,000 miles on a Triumph!

Reply to this Topic
FORCE3D

Apr 09

FORCE3D says:

Sorry Baz but the Sprint I had starting falling to bits at 35,000 miles ridden in ALL weather - Now Im back on a Honda VFR (Pre-Vtec) and it's sublime, now THAT'S an ontoxicating engine, who the hell makes gear driven V4's these days :(

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices