Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow boosted by last day progress MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow boosted by last day progress

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow boosted by last day progress

After a nightmare start to this week’s second Sepang test in Malaysia, Cal Crutchlow enjoyed a much more positive ending to finish in 14th place on the final timesheets. Struck by food poisoning on arrival in Kuala Lumpur last Sunday, Crutchlow then suffered two identical crashes at Turn 9 on the opening day to dent his confidence with the Monster Yamaha...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 February 2011 16:37)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

It sounds like..

Colin Edwards has been doing a huge amount to help Cal, both in terms of advice, showing him lines, testing his setup for him, etc. Tech 3 took a lot of flak for signing him again this year, but looking at Edwards' own pace so far, it's already proving to be a sharp move. And it's definitely proving a huge help to Crutchlow. 

0.5s off Rossi around Sepang on only his 4th ride on the bike and recovering from food poisoning is a more than respectable effort from Cal and gives him a solid foundation to build on. He will only get quicker.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
justacardriver

Mar 10

progress

Things can only get better.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Must admit

I'm an Edwards detractor. Past his use by date to me. But development mentor to the new breed is the role he's been cast in last year with Spies, and more particularly this season with Cal. With no one from outside MotoGP forcefully holding his hand up for the Tech 3 ride 2011 Edwards was signed up again. He'll certainly help Crutchlow progress at a faster rate. Cal should have his measure in the later half of the season.

Reply to this Topic
Fastonce

Jan 10

Fastonce says:

Go Cal!!

Lets hope Cal can emmulate Spies, and not Collins former teammate. It would be nice to see a Brit make it all the way to the top without imploding.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Must admit....

In this photo Cal seriously looks like he is riding a SBK!!! That is no good...... His arms and body position look seriously uncomfortable and not the good ole aggressive Cal? I hope this was an out lap on the first day when he was really sick. Pedrosa is tiny and he doesn't have to reach for his outside bar like that? What gives???

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Its not just Cal.

Colin also rides his bike like a SBK rider too.

Reply to this Topic
Minty Fresh

Mar 08

Minty Fresh says:

Colin n Cal..

God I hope Cal finishes in the top 7 this year, hell I would be estatic to see him in the top 10 - This boy is good and has plenty of potential! I really hope he puts it all together and shows them boys what he is made of! He is a tough little bastard!!

I am also real happy to see Colin up their in the time sheets! he is good for the sport and I hope he keeps it up for the season! It's refreshing to hear him being excited and happy with his chances and outlook on the coming season!! Could be a turning point or it could be wishful thinking on my part..... who knows! Roll on March!!!!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

huh?

Colin doesn't ride like a superbike rider - he change his style back to his 250cc days years ago. He acknowledge that he made a concentrated effort to do so. Surely everyone has heard him bitch and moan about front end feel and loaning the front tire and the like. Matter of fact, Nicky doesn't have the same pronounced "square off the corner and fire" style as he used to. From hearing the riders talk, no one will be successful with a "classic" superbike type style on the current bikes. The 800cc bikes are all about carrying speed in and around the corner more similar to a 250cc. I've read that one of JT's biggest problems was the he was unable to change his style. He still braked really late, sqared the corner off, and tried to make up the the time out of the corners. Spies has talked about how on these bikes you have to brake hard but release the brakes earlier to carry more corner speed and not the typical superbike "point and squirt".  The superbike style and teh 500's were basically the same - square off the corner, pick the bike up on the fat part of the tire as soon as possible and wack the throttle open. But on the 800s, the carry the corner speed, and with the current level of TC, they are able to bang through the gears on the side of the tire - well before they are on the fat part of the contact patch.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Cal? this Guy will suck on GP level. Spies ruled on the R1 in its first year, Cal is just not good enough. Toseland was a joke in Motogp as well! I am a Nori Haga fan, and i addmit even Nori is about as good as Colin? Except colin can develop a bike, witch Nori can't. Pretty simple no Superbike rider will ever preform in GP's. Ben is the exception? Great rider on any bike and posobly the 5th Allien.. I wonder about Moto2? A super talent like Marc Marquez wiil always shine through, but Kenan Superglue could win this champioship? Good for him(great rider) but Kenan in Moto GP? Hell no, bring back 250 2 stroke bikes! Now we wil get 4 stroke moto 3? BORING

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

History repeating itself?

Never say never carloslavado! Superbike riders ruled GPs in the 80's and 90's. The switch to 4 strokes brought on the electronics which has changed the style of ridding GP bikes compared to Superbikes. But now the superbikes have the full on electronics. Gone are the days of massive slides corners after corner. Look at Nori and Corser compared to years ago. The "Samuri of Slide" has very little slide these days. The "classic" square it off and point and shoot superbike style isn't prevelent in WSBK anymore (maybe a reason JT won't regain his old winning form?). The 250cc style of Biaggi and Checa now can translate to WSBK. Compared to say 4 years ago, I think it's easier to make the transition from WSBK to GPs. Not to say it's easy but a bit less difficult. GP team managers will always choose more Moto2 riders because that's who they see weekend and week out but Superbike riders aren't going away in GPs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices