Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW K1600GT first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW K1600GT first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: BMW K1600GT first ride

BMW recently launched the new six-cylinder K1600GT and K1600GTL in South Africa and MCN was there to put the new bike through its paces. The new silky-smooth inline six-cylinder 1600cc engine is one of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling, let alone in touring, and offers new levels of thrust and smoothness not seen before on a bike. To read the full...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 February 2011 17:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

touring bike?

well i am glad that mcn showed off the bikes potential as a tourer, i couldnt help but notice how many others they blitzed past who were testing a touring bike while mcn were showing off how good it was as a track bike, in fact I am surprised they didnt criticise the handling as not being as good as a gixer thou, or making similar comparisons with other sports bikes.

just a heads up mcn but most customers who buy this bike are not the slightest bit interested in whether this bike can go around corners at 3000 miles an hour, to the contrary they want to know comfort over a long distance, fuel economy, cost of ownership, tire life, reliability and other mundane things that were not mentioned on this vid.

your rag and your testers are a classic example of setting a bad example to other bikers and earning a thouroughly bad reputation for the average biker with this sort of display,

a touring bike is for touring , not scratching around the lanes

Reply to this Topic
benjaminbeaufordblue

Aug 05

BMW K1600GT

Looks like a cracking bike and another victory for BMW. BUT............. They need to prove its reliability and sort out their quality issues, I had a 2008 1200GS and it did nothing but break down after break down, dont get me wrong about the dealers they are superb, treat you as well as any customer can expect and are very apologetic and get you back on the road as soon as they can but you get the feeling that BMW customers are test beds for reliability and the service departments are quality control for the production factory. I was scawned by the ownership of my BMWs, I have had four of them and NEVER NEVER again. Be warned! Go round the world, I would not trust one to go round the M25. Technology is killing the simplicity and connection with bikes and insulating you from  the feeling that you used to get from a good, reliable bike,that if it broke you could fix it yourself. So I am off to find some green lanes and play on my 19 year old KDX 250 and go break some collar bones! Happy riding to all.

Reply to this Topic
Oliebloke

Dec 05

Oliebloke says:

BMW K1600GT

I couldnt agree more with the comments on this page I have had quite a few BMWs over the years and untill the recent bikes they have been sold and dependable, however the RT I had broke down with electrical gremlins so many times it was gone within a year of ownership able to strike a deal with my local dealership and ended up with a F800 GS much simpler and hasn't broken down yet.

I wonder how well the new colour screen will work with the sun beating down and a high viz coat on the commute as the RT's weren't fantastic.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

1600 6

Never mind the BHP. How much TORQUE does it put out??

Good video. I'm guessing it has the "Exhaust flap thingy" in it, as it sounds WAY too loud for a standard (pre 09) BMW.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh/metal.

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Good quality vid. Well done Mark and co. What kind of tank range did you get when flogging it?

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

If all you people care about is fuel milage, cost of ownership, reliability etc, buy a honda c90, they never break down, last forever and do over 100mpg, if you want a bike to go across europe every weekend, then buy this bmw...

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Are BMW Ahead of The Rest?

This BMW 6 cylinder, it sounds amazing, goes well and seems to be tcking all the boxes. BMW are on a charge and sure they may just had a middle class sorts bike next year, who knows !!! Their S1000rr is really after throwing a spanner in the works for all the rest. Their new GS1200 engine is due to surface later this year under a brand new GS guide, no stopping them.

BUT, i wonder, are Honda sand bagging with their VFR Pan European replacement, we are still waiting on it. Will it be an up to date ST1100 more so? And what have suzuki been doing with their Stratosphere concept all this time, interesting when you think about it.

Maybe the Japanese thought the 6 cyclinder was a bit too bold for this particular market? It appears not now doesnt it.

@ MCN: Great vid, Potter looked tired :laugh:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Thoughts

After watching the video several times and reading other's comments I have to say it looked like the MCN testers were out to show what they could do on a touring bike that a sportsbike would normally be used for. I like the sound of a six, thee Hondas, the Bennellis. Somehow on this bike I didn't take to it immediately, seemed out of place and by this video, too loud. In all, this bike seems more frenetic than most touring riders would want.

Lastly, the little chrome "6's" on each side of the engine look tacked on and a bit cheesy. The reminder of that fact in the cluster was OK.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

K1600GT

These mcn vids for touring bikes do crack me up.  It was the same in the RT video a while back, just a single corner and watching a chap scratching the cylinfer head on the floor.  I sat on this K1600GT at the bike show, and I remember imagining to myself then what it would be like to hang my arse off it, getting the knee down, touching the apex of my lane................happy days.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I do not like touring bikes, but still? Of course a silky smooth 6 cilinder engine is great? A really torque engine with 3 cilinders, witch has a natural balance with more grunt at 3000 revs would do great? Triumph could and should  rule here? Missed oppertunety?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices