Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW K1600GT first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW K1600GT first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: BMW K1600GT first ride

BMW recently launched the new six-cylinder K1600GT and K1600GTL in South Africa and MCN was there to put the new bike through its paces. The new silky-smooth inline six-cylinder 1600cc engine is one of the most intoxicating engines in motorcycling, let alone in touring, and offers new levels of thrust and smoothness not seen before on a bike. To read the full...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 February 2011 17:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

BMW K1600

It has three things wrong with it; its too big, its too heavy, and its too expensive.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

touring2

Being a brit I would love to see triumph whoop it up BMW  and there is no doubt their bikes are a lot better than they used to be, but like BMW they still have big reliability and quality control issues. I think it very poor, in this day and age that you spend up to 15k£ and the first time it rains the front disk bolts and many others all go grey and then red with rust. This was expected back in the 60's but not now and both bmw and triumph are guilty of this. 

and what is all this 3 wire signaled wiring all about? the difference in weight using a proper wiring loom that used proper 12 volts and few relays is negligeable so it must be done to remove the possibility of the average owner maintaining his bike. it is just one more thing to go wrong and it does regularly on bmw's and sadly nowadays they dont seem able to employ qualified mechanics any longer just badly trained fitters

Reply to this Topic
Stalyn

Feb 11

Stalyn says:

Nice and twice

Nice Bike's, i like sports touring / touring Bikes. Is BMW trying to cover both market's here? or is the weight of the GT model too much. Don't like that number 6 on the engine, looks tacky.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Nigel100

Where do you get this reliabilty and quality control crap about Triumphs? Me and my wife have had 2 Triumphs for the last 4 years and had no problems at all and I don't know anyone who has had complaints either. I presume you don't own a Triumph coz if you had, I don't think you would be making these comments. I do, however, know people who own BMWs and they do have probs with corrosion, faulty fuel pumps etc. So I'm not making unsubstantiated comments. I work in the aircraft industry where I deal with the best materials and Triumphs are made from excellent materials and their paint and plating is as good as anyone elses. Ride mag did a comparison test on quality a few months ago and Triumph came out top so its not just my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Dear Santa .......

Dear Santa,

I 've just gotta have one of these new Beemers!!!

I've been a good lad,so please send me one of these fantastic bikes for christmas!!!

Yours,ever wishing,hoping,.......IVOR GOTTA AVONE. LOL....... :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jpooch00

Aug 09

jpooch00 says:

Not in love with it

I have mixed feelings, but the negatives win out, I'm sorry to say.

WAY too many gadgets and googaws on this bike, even in its basic form, for it to be really reliable and trouble free - especially seeing as it's a BMW product.  Also, the engine/exhaust sound is pretty annoying, to me anyway.  I can't see listening to all that raspy exhaust racket and that irritating whirring noise (whatever that is) for hours on end. 

It's seriously hard to believe that this will be anything more than an super-expensive PITA to keep in top running condition.  I've read that the Beemerco has admitted that they have QC and general product/component quality problems - after years of denying/ignoring it - and that they've instituted new procedures to improve it. 

In a couple of years, we'll know if that's actually true.  Talk is cheap - especially when a company launches a new product like this.  Only time will tell the tale.

Way too much $$$ for me to have the privilege of being a BMW beta tester.

Reply to this Topic
Mitchyman

Oct 10

Mitchyman says:

Pretty good....

Best bit about this bike is the noise. Some of the footage sounded like you were onboard a E46 m3. Beemers make the best 6cylinder engine known to man, in car or bike form... 

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

I must admit I like that, but that may be because I like metallic crimson and I like big bikes......but I sat on it at Excel (London Bike show my arse, it was empty) and it was BIG!!!!!. My other worry would be the newness of all this tech and I personally would prefer to buy a bike or car 2 or 3 years down the line when everything is ironed out.

Triumph v BMW wot the hell you on about, I have both and they are nothing like each other, when I buy another GS it will only be replaced by a GS not a tiger or an F800, if I want a speed triple nothing BMW build could tempt me because they feel too safe and dependable (good, but in the right circumstances).

Reply to this Topic
styler4077

Aug 06

styler4077 says:

I'll buy one as will quite a few others in and around Europe to replace K1200LT's and the K1200/1300GT's.

Sure my LT is a heavy bike, but only at very slow speed do you notice this, it handles way better than my HD FLHTCU and has got me into difficulty a few time due to the speed I was travelling. (My fault not the bikes)

The LT and to some extent the K1200/1300GT are big in the US and that I believe is the market they are after.
Price wise it cheap compared to a Goldwing or an Electra Glide and the K1600 will handle and perform better that both of these.

Best of all though is that it's great for us who have partner's who can't pack light :-)

Reply to this Topic
ancient1

Mar 10

ancient1 says:

K16gt

Looks and sounds good, trouble is I had a 1200gt which was very good, except the engine was poorly fuelled (7,500 revs had a very bad vibration- and was too lean). I asked BMW top country tech guy about when they where going to release a better fuel map for it .

The bike was 12 months old, 6 months into the k1300 years.

His answer

We will not do anything to improve it now, if you want a good bike sell it and buy a 1300gt

With support like that I will be very unlikely to ever buy a bmw again. Both new bikes I have bought since then have been better supported by the japenese.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices