Skip to content

Discuss This Harley-Davidson youth plan spawns £6000 Sportster Custom & modified bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Custom & modified bikes > Harley-Davidson youth plan spawns £6000 Sportster

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Harley-Davidson youth plan spawns £6000 Sportster

This pop-art Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 is the first sales success in a British dealer's masterplan to get younger riders into bikes. The bike was built for Brighton DJ Casper Gaday after he was introduced to motorcycles by Shaw Harley-Davidson's youth ambassador Polly Taylor. The tank and seat are from a Harley-Davidson 48, wheels are standard but powder coated, and the exhaust is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 February 2011 17:52)

Post a message in Custom & modified bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

young people and harleys

there are lots of young people who are into harleys and the custom scene, im 25 and have owned one myself. put 883 iron into the youtube search for example, and there are 100s of vids of young guys with their HDs.

like any air-cooled, v-twin, custom style bike they are not going to keep up with a GSXR1000, but provided you pay the "harley tax" and de-restrict the bikes with the "stage 1 tune", they are very close to jap middle-weights in terms of real world 0-100mph performance and handling (the sportsters go around fast bends like they are on rails for example) when i had my 883 with stage 1 i could easily keeps up with friends who were on bandit 600s, as my bike while having slighlty more weight and slightly less power had much more torque, which was produced instantly on tap. anyone who thinks this is BS should check the lap-times for the xr1200 bsb series - to give an example, around some of the tighter tracks jeremy mcwilliams and top riders were faster than the majority of the superstock 600 field and even some of the supersport guys!!! the lap-times dont lie.

there is also the issue of deprecition, something like a bandit 600 or cbf 600 are worth next to nothing used, while a Harley will holds its value. other advantages are an amazing muscle car exhaust note, and i bike like that looks beautiful parked up.

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

tractors?

2010 Cadwell Park 2 BSB round.

Fastest Triumph 675 Triple challenge TDG cup lap during dry race - 1:38:340

Fastest Harley XR1200 Sportster lap during dry race - 1:38:200

kinda backs up what I said below about real world 0-100mph performance and handling, it certainly isnt tractor vs porsche as some like to think.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

merv,  mate stop it now.....

Reply to this Topic
topcat2002

Dec 08

topcat2002 says:

£6000 no the road?? the exhaust is £600 stage 1 is £600 to 800??? paint???wheels???......

Reply to this Topic
Angus883iron

Jan 11

Angus883iron says:

sorry

sorry guys. i just love my harleys haha :)

Reply to this Topic
joe1964

Oct 10

joe1964 says:

VINCE & HINES ?

Vance and Hines make some of the best pipes for harleys and we can't even get their name right !! :)

Vance & Hines not Vince !!!

Reply to this Topic
petezx9r

Feb 10

petezx9r says:

£ 6000

you can get a decent bike for six grand why waste your money on this

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Wham

Wham ----bam ------I am your man , Job or no Job BLAAA BLAAA blaaaa  somit yehh, ohhh ohhhh!

Its a George I suck cock in toilets  Wham Boy l Bike,,,,,   WHAM Bike cool,( like fuck)     WTF is it ?  its like a bubble- gum wrapper,  teen mag on a slow drip, 

Yuck but then again all HD are like that   ,, Live the dream ---MAN, Bollocks. 

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Just seen this

on the Shaw stand at the Custom Bike show at AllyPally. Not impressed in the pictures, but next to a sea of glitzy chromo-eos thesimple white and graphics stood out as a nice change. Ever the cliche, but it does look better in the flesh...

As for the 'youth market' not sure Harley see the real issues. Until the age of, what 25 maybe, insurance on anything over 400cc is just ridiculous. I was once quoted a fee for a 600 bandit on TPFT that was only a fiver short of a new bike cost (factor in excess, and I owed them money if it got nicked!). If Harley really want a youth market outside of the US, they need to think about reintroducing the Buell Blast, or a Harley version of it.

More direct routes may be to do what Nick Gale has just done. His 'Purple Haze' was built by a collection of 13-14 year olds at the AllyPally show. The bike will be auctioned off for the Variety Club charity later in the year. But for those kids and their immendiate friends and family; custom bikes are now really cool and a good complement to education and a keep out of trouble incentive.

Reply to this Topic
brucieg

Aug 02

brucieg says:

What is is with the constant Harley bashing on this site? It's still a motorbike isn't it?

To me a bike is a bike, as long as it has 2 wheels and an engine it doesn't matter how much power it has I will still ride it and enjoy every minute of it.

But then, I don't have an issue with the size of my penis, unlike most of the crotch rocket brigade who need something to make up for their inadequacies! 

Oh, and no, I don't currently own a Harley!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices