Skip to content

General petrol smell on start up??? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > petrol smell on start up???

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kash600

Apr 09

kash600 says:

petrol smell on start up???

hi there i just wanted to know if anyone can help me with this!!!

i recently have bought a yzf r125 and on first start up there is a strong smell of petrol. i wanted to know is this normal as it is a 10 plate and has only done 450miles. 

can someone please help me with this thank u!!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 March 2011 10:35)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
G1000

Feb 11

G1000 says:

starting in garage ?

did you start it in a garage or enclosed area ? if so then it will smell. my honda cbr 125 smells of petrol when i start it in the garage

Reply to this Topic
kash600

Apr 09

kash600 says:

front garden??

yea i leave my bike in the front garden where its all chained up and and covered!! so its to do with the amount of space around the bike?? is that what your saying?

Reply to this Topic
robertohare

Jan 11

robertohare says:

if you start it basicly in doors its going to smell stronly of petrol so basily strart in a well vented enviroment and you should be ok :) they all smell of petrol thats what the run on  :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
kash600

Apr 09

kash600 says:

thanks guys!!!

thanks guys now i can stop worrying and get on with some riding!!!:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

it

shouldn't smell of petrol. Is it not still under warranty?

Could have leak:shock:

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

petrol smell

Mine is a 59 plate and doesn't smell of petrol when it starts.

The YZF had a problem with fuel tanks for a while, but they were changed over at the services so you should have the new model. My filler cap also works loose over time, developing a bit of "free play" despite being locked, there are 2 small allen key holes inside to tighten up.

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Over filled it.

Possibly over filled the tank?

If its not obviously leaking anything then its more than likely got nothing wrong with it, if the motor runs well and the bike isnt dripping fuel everywhere then its almost certainly fine, ALL bikes smell vaguely of fuel even when theyre not running, itll smell more strongly of fuel in the morning when you start it because it will be running rich untill it warms up.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Doesn't sound right

Sounds like a leakage, have a look for signs of fuel or a stain on parts of the engine. It might just be a fuel over flow from the carb.

When I had my Yamaha TRX that had a strong fuel smell, it did have a visual stain on the side of the engine. It turned out to be a hair line crack in the carburetor body. The funny thing is the bike still run great. And when the carbs were changed by the dealer I had nothing but problems with it ever since.

My advice, have a look for petrol stains to indicate leakage, hopefully it's not that.:smile

Reply to this Topic
kash600

Apr 09

kash600 says:

no leaks!!!!

hi guys thanks for your input but i have had a good look and there are no signs of leakage. and i havent overfilled the tank!! 

But its due its 1st service on the 16th march so il let the dealer know maybe they can have a look at it as it is under warranty. Futhermore i might just give them a call and see what they say!! 

Reply to this Topic
scottscott80

Jan 11

scottscott80 says:

my little

ybr125 smells of petrol too when it's started up, especially when you walk behind it. I think it's just the normal bike smell.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices